* QEMU Licensing query
@ 2019-11-22 10:27 karina filer
From: karina filer @ 2019-11-22 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel, quintela

Hi All,

QEMU <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU> is used in Android Emulator and
is licensed under GPLv2
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License#Version_2>.

For one of our customer support we may have to modify QEMU.

 I have below queries,

   - *Case 1: No modification in QEMU *(QEMU delivered by Google)

Is there any implications if we are not modifying and releasing QEMU
externally, but we are sharing an Android image externally that runs on QEMU

   - *Case 2: Modification in QEMU *(QEMU delivered by Google)

What are the implications if we need to modify and release QEMU,
considering that we will also have to release an Android image that will
run on this QEMU.

Regards

Karina

* Re: QEMU Licensing query
@ 2019-11-25 18:17 ` karina filer
From: karina filer @ 2019-11-25 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel, quintela, qemu-discuss

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 3:57 PM karina filer <kafiler0911@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> QEMU <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU> is used in Android Emulator and
> is licensed under GPLv2
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License#Version_2>.
>
> For one of our customer support we may have to modify QEMU.
>

>  I have below queries,
>
>    - *Case 1: No modification in QEMU *(QEMU delivered by Google)
>
> Is there any implications if we are not modifying and releasing QEMU
> externally, but we are sharing an Android image externally that runs on QEMU
>

>    - *Case 2: Modification in QEMU *(QEMU delivered by Google)
>
> What are the implications if we need to modify and release QEMU,
> considering that we will also have to release an Android image that will
> run on this QEMU.
>

> Regards
>
> Karina

* Re: QEMU Licensing query
@ 2019-11-25 18:55 ` Michal Suchánek
From: Michal Suchánek @ 2019-11-25 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: karina filer; +Cc: qemu-devel, quintela

Hello,

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 03:57:07PM +0530, karina filer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> [1]QEMU is used in Android Emulator and is licensed under [2]GPLv2.
>
> For one of our customer support we may have to modify QEMU.
>
>  I have below queries,
>
>   * Case 1: No modification in QEMU (QEMU delivered by Google)
>
> Is there any implications if we are not modifying and releasing QEMU
> externally, but we are sharing an Android image externally that runs on QEMU
>

>   * Case 2: Modification in QEMU (QEMU delivered by Google)
>
> What are the implications if we need to modify and release QEMU, considering
> that we will also have to release an Android image that will run on this
> QEMU.

First off, this is a question that you should ask your lawyer, not a
mailing list.

As far as GPL v2 obligations go you should provide the source to anybody
to whom you distribute binaries of a GPL v2 software.

The preferred way to provide the source is alongside the binary package.
However, if you use Google Play store this is not reasonable way of
distribution. I would suggest you provide a link in the application
description pointing to a website where users can download the sources.

Thanks

Michal