* Timing this week
@ 2019-11-26  0:18 D. Ben Knoble
From: D. Ben Knoble @ 2019-11-26  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right place/way to ask this, but:

Background

I have some information I would like to share and discuss with the git
developers regarding the performance of git-status, especially with
respect to (possibly large numbers of) submodules.

I've gathered a significant amount of data, and have actually given a
presentation on the performance problem (as I see it) and a quick fix
(not one I am comfortable with long-term). [Long-term, I would be
willing to work on a fix for the problem, if we agree it is one. That
said, I'm not very well versed in git's codebase.]

/Background

I would like to get this information out and a discussion started
soon—and of course, Thanksgiving is coming up in the USA, so I expect
"timeliness" will be difficult over the holidays.

TL;DR

I'm still drafting the mail for this information, but when I have it
ready, when would the list prefer to see it? Should I hold it until
next week? Or would you all rather see it over the holiday weekend?

Best,
D. Ben Knoble

* Re: Timing this week
@ 2019-11-26  0:23 ` Jonathan Nieder
From: Jonathan Nieder @ 2019-11-26  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: D. Ben Knoble; +Cc: git

Hi,

D. Ben Knoble wrote:

> I'm still drafting the mail for this information, but when I have it
> ready, when would the list prefer to see it? Should I hold it until
> next week? Or would you all rather see it over the holiday weekend?

I wouldn't worry too much.  Send when you're able and when you're
comfortable receiving replies.  Some participants in the Git project
are not in the United States and are not having a holiday right now.
Some like having an excuse to take a moment away from family to see
what other people are up to.  Some are completely disconnected from
email and won't see such a thread until they come back.

One of the nice things about email is that people can respond at their
convenience.  So fire away. :)

Thanks,
Jonathan

* Re: Timing this week
@ 2019-11-26  1:36   ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2019-11-26  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Nieder; +Cc: D. Ben Knoble, git

Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> writes:

> One of the nice things about email is that people can respond at their
> convenience.  So fire away. :)

Nicely said.

Thanks (I will be offline for a few days, though).