* How to include libraries?
@ 2017-05-24 12:20 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2017-05-24 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I have an image which needs to include the libcups2 package from
the cups recipe.  If I try adding this to my image recipe
   CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL_append = " libcups2"
I get this error:
   ERROR: Required build target 'my-demo-image' has no buildable providers.
   Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['my-demo-image', 'libcups2']

However, I can get it to build with this
   MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS_append = " libcups2"

What's the difference between these two approaches and why doesn't the first
one work at all?

Thanks

* Re: How to include libraries?
@ 2017-05-24 13:26 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2017-05-24 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: yocto

On 24 May 2017 at 13:20, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:

> I have an image which needs to include the libcups2 package from
> the cups recipe.  If I try adding this to my image recipe
>   CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL_append = " libcups2"
> I get this error:
>   ERROR: Required build target 'my-demo-image' has no buildable providers.
>   Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['my-demo-image',
> 'libcups2']
>
> However, I can get it to build with this
>   MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS_append = " libcups2"
>
> What's the difference between these two approaches and why doesn't the
> first
> one work at all?

Does the latter actually work?  Recommends won't fail if the package
doesn't exist, or is getting pulled in via another route.

I've a feeling that you actually want the pre-renaming name here so try
cups-lib.

Ross

* Re: How to include libraries?
@ 2017-05-24 13:49   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2017-05-24 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

On 2017-05-24 15:26, Burton, Ross wrote:

> On 24 May 2017 at 13:20, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com <mailto:gary@mlbassoc.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have an image which needs to include the libcups2 package from
>     the cups recipe.  If I try adding this to my image recipe
>        CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL_append = " libcups2"
>     I get this error:
>        ERROR: Required build target 'my-demo-image' has no buildable providers.
>        Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['my-demo-image', 'libcups2']
>
>     However, I can get it to build with this
>        MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS_append = " libcups2"
>
>     What's the difference between these two approaches and why doesn't the first
>     one work at all?
>

> Does the latter actually work?  Recommends won't fail if the package doesn't exist, or is getting pulled in via another
> route.
>
> I've a feeling that you actually want the pre-renaming name here so try cups-lib.

Thanks, I'm rebuilding the image (after a Poky/master pull) and will let you know.

BTW, that would be awfully confusing to require cups-lib when building but my package
manager (opkg) only knows about the [renamed] package libcups2.

* Re: How to include libraries?
@ 2017-05-25  3:33     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2017-05-25  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 2017-05-24 15:49, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 2017-05-24 15:26, Burton, Ross wrote:
>>
>> On 24 May 2017 at 13:20, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com <mailto:gary@mlbassoc.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I have an image which needs to include the libcups2 package from
>>     the cups recipe.  If I try adding this to my image recipe
>>        CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL_append = " libcups2"
>>     I get this error:
>>        ERROR: Required build target 'my-demo-image' has no buildable providers.
>>        Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['my-demo-image', 'libcups2']
>>
>>     However, I can get it to build with this
>>        MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS_append = " libcups2"
>>
>>     What's the difference between these two approaches and why doesn't the first
>>     one work at all?
>>

>> Does the latter actually work?  Recommends won't fail if the package doesn't exist, or is getting pulled in via
>> another route.
>>
>> I've a feeling that you actually want the pre-renaming name here so try cups-lib.
>
> Thanks, I'm rebuilding the image (after a Poky/master pull) and will let you know.
>
> BTW, that would be awfully confusing to require cups-lib when building but my package
> manager (opkg) only knows about the [renamed] package libcups2.

You were correct, using MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS didn't work, but explicitly
including cups-lib did.  Not very intuitive :-(