* Versioning a recipe based on other recipe
@ 2020-01-20 12:40 Arthur Pinheiro
From: Arthur Pinheiro @ 2020-01-20 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I have plugin where its version is based on the module that defines its interface. For my case, I develop a GStreamer plugin and I would like to version its packages based on gstreamer1.0 current (1.14.4) recipe version of my poky revision.

The problem is that if I also add the same version number directly in the recipe, either by naming my recipe gstreamer-my-plugin_1.14.4.bb or by setting PV inside the recipe, I will have to update this value every time that gstreamer1.0 version is bumped. Often times, a bump in gstreamer1.0's MINOR/PATCH number is not likely require an adaptation of my plugin to work with it, but I still would have to change my plugin's PV version just to keep in sync with gstreamer1.0 package naming.

Is there a Yocto way to make a recipe's version use another recipe's version as part of it? Perhaps using something like getVar('PV'), but I can't really tell how hacky would that look especially because I couldn't find any examples of this practice.

* Re: [yocto] Versioning a recipe based on other recipe
@ 2020-01-20 12:50 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2020-01-20 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Pinheiro; +Cc: yocto

It would be really wrong to for the exact same source tree (of your plugin)
to get assigned different versions depending on something else entirely.
The version comes from the source tree of the component itself (typically
as a git tag, or in the tarball name).

Alex

@ 2020-01-20 12:52 ` Josef Holzmayr
From: Josef Holzmayr @ 2020-01-20 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Pinheiro; +Cc: yocto

Howdy!

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 04:40:46AM -0800, Arthur Pinheiro wrote:
> I have plugin where its version is based on the module that defines its interface. For my case, I develop a GStreamer plugin and I would like to version its packages based on gstreamer1.0 current (1.14.4) recipe version of my poky revision.
>
> The problem is that if I also add the same version number directly in the recipe, either by naming my recipe gstreamer-my-plugin_1.14.4.bb or by setting PV inside the recipe, I will have to update this value every time that gstreamer1.0 version is bumped. Often times, a bump in gstreamer1.0's MINOR/PATCH number is not likely require an adaptation of my plugin to work with it, but I still would have to change my plugin's PV version just to keep in sync with gstreamer1.0 package naming.
>
> Is there a Yocto way to make a recipe's version use another recipe's version as part of it? Perhaps using something like getVar('PV'), but I can't really tell how hacky would that look especially because I couldn't find any examples of this practice.

No, there is not. As always: "Recipe data is local, conf data is global."
(see: https://twitter.com/YoctoThe/status/1217166071519744000)

So, you either have to factor out things into an include file that both
recipes can pull in, define it somewhere in your DISTRO, things like
that.

But in a nutshell: "What happens in one recipe never affects what
happens in another."

Greetz

--
———————————————
Josef Holzmayr

Tel: +49 8444 9204-48
Fax: +49 8444 9204-50

R-S-I Elektrotechnik GmbH & Co. KG
Woelkestrasse 11
D-85301 Schweitenkirchen
www.rsi-elektrotechnik.de
Amtsgericht Ingolstadt – GmbH: HRB 191328 – KG: HRA 170393
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Michael Sorg, Dipl.-Ing. Franz Sorg
Ust-IdNr: DE 128592548

Amtsgericht Ingolstadt - GmbH: HRB 191328 - KG: HRA 170363