* Failed to add u-boot ubifs (not working)
@ 2020-02-03 10:56 JH
From: JH @ 2020-02-03 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Hi,

I added my local machine to ubifs, is it correct?

UBOOT_CONFIG[nand] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config,ubifs"

I built the u-boot.imx, but the ubi was still missing in u-boot. What
I could be missing?

=> run nand-boot;
Unknown command 'ubi' - try 'help'
Unknown command 'ubi' - try 'help'

Thank you.

Kind regards,

- jh

* Re: Failed to add u-boot ubifs (not working)
@ 2020-02-03 11:08 ` Quentin Schulz
From: Quentin Schulz @ 2020-02-03 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: openembedded-core

Hi JH,

On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 09:56:49PM +1100, JH wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I added my local machine to ubifs, is it correct?
>
> UBOOT_CONFIG[nand] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config,ubifs"

Also, you need to select UBOOT_CONFIG somewhere, with the above line,
you just say "if nand is selected as an UBOOT_CONFIG, do xyz". You still
need to select it (with I assume, UBOOT_CONFIG += "nand" in a bbappend
somewhere).

What's in your mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config?

I haven't used that option before but what's ,ubifs supposed to do? Are
you sure this nand option for UBOOT_CONFIG would actually create a .imx
and not a .ubifs for example or something along those lines.

TL;DR: Make sure UBOOT_CONFIG has nand in it, check that .imx is built
with your defconfig and check that you're actually enabling the UBI
command in your defconfig.

Also, it would be helpful if you could give links to the recipes you're
using. I seem to recall in some other mail it was
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-freescale/tree/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-imx_2017.03.bb?h=sumo
but it could be thud version as well.

BR,
Quentin

* Re: [OE-core] Failed to add u-boot ubifs (not working)
@ 2020-02-03 23:00     ` JH
From: JH @ 2020-02-03 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quentin Schulz; +Cc: linux-mtd, openembedded-core

Hi Quentin,

Thanks for your response.

On 2/3/20, Quentin Schulz <quentin.schulz@streamunlimited.com> wrote:
> Hi JH,
>
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 09:56:49PM +1100, JH wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I added my local machine to ubifs, is it correct?
>>
>> UBOOT_CONFIG[nand] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config,ubifs"
>>

> Also, you need to select UBOOT_CONFIG somewhere, with the above line,
> you just say "if nand is selected as an UBOOT_CONFIG, do xyz". You still
> need to select it (with I assume, UBOOT_CONFIG += "nand" in a bbappend
> somewhere).

Sorry for not being it clear, I indeed defined UBOOT_CONFIG = "nand"
in the local.conf. Should I define it as UBOOT_CONFIG += "nand" or
should I move it to a u-boot bbappend?

> What's in your mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config?

The mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config,ubifs was from a tip found and copied
from Internet, but the original definition is from included
meta-freescale/conf/machine/imx6ullevk.conf:

UBOOT_CONFIG ??= "sd"
UBOOT_CONFIG[sd] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_config,sdcard"
UBOOT_CONFIG[mfgtool] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_config"

I tried to use UBOOT_CONFIG[nand] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_config,ubifs", no avail.

> I haven't used that option before but what's ,ubifs supposed to do? Are
> you sure this nand option for UBOOT_CONFIG would actually create a .imx
> and not a .ubifs for example or something along those lines.
>
> TL;DR: Make sure UBOOT_CONFIG has nand in it, check that .imx is built
> with your defconfig and check that you're actually enabling the UBI
> command in your defconfig.

Yes, all enabled in my kernel 4.19.75:

CONFIG_MTD_UBI=y
CONFIG_MTD_UBI_WL_THRESHOLD=4096
CONFIG_MTD_UBI_BEB_LIMIT=20
CONFIG_MTD_UBI_FASTMAP=y
# CONFIG_MTD_UBI_GLUEBI is not set
CONFIG_MTD_UBI_BLOCK=y
CONFIG_DTC=y
CONFIG_OF=y

> Also, it would be helpful if you could give links to the recipes you're
> using. I seem to recall in some other mail it was
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-freescale/tree/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-imx_2017.03.bb?h=sumo
> but it could be thud version as well.

Yes, I am using the thud, the u-boot-imx_2017.03.bb is the same, here
is the link:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-freescale/tree/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-imx_2017.03.bb?h=thud

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

- jh

From: JH @ 2020-02-03 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quentin Schulz; +Cc: linux-mtd, openembedded-core

@ 2020-02-04  9:05       ` Quentin Schulz
From: Quentin Schulz @ 2020-02-04  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: linux-mtd, openembedded-core

Hi JH,

On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 10:00:27AM +1100, JH wrote:
> Hi Quentin,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> On 2/3/20, Quentin Schulz <quentin.schulz@streamunlimited.com> wrote:
> > Hi JH,
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 09:56:49PM +1100, JH wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I added my local machine to ubifs, is it correct?
> >>
> >> UBOOT_CONFIG[nand] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config,ubifs"
> >>

> > Also, you need to select UBOOT_CONFIG somewhere, with the above line,
> > you just say "if nand is selected as an UBOOT_CONFIG, do xyz". You still
> > need to select it (with I assume, UBOOT_CONFIG += "nand" in a bbappend
> > somewhere).
>
> Sorry for not being it clear, I indeed defined UBOOT_CONFIG = "nand"
> in the local.conf. Should I define it as UBOOT_CONFIG += "nand" or
> should I move it to a u-boot bbappend?

From what you say below, it was defined in a machine configuration file,
so modify it there. It;s fine *for debugging purposes* to modify the
original file but in the case of machine configuration file, once you've
settled with some modifications, you need to create a new one in your
own layer and add the changes there so they can be shared with people
(conf/local.conf is NOT supposed to be shared).

But UBOOT_CONFIG = "nand" looks decent to me (it's a machine specific
variable, so rather set it in the machine configuration file).

> > What's in your mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config?
>
> The mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config,ubifs was from a tip found and copied
> from Internet, but the original definition is from included
> meta-freescale/conf/machine/imx6ullevk.conf:
>
> UBOOT_CONFIG ??= "sd"
> UBOOT_CONFIG[sd] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_config,sdcard"
> UBOOT_CONFIG[mfgtool] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_config"
>
> I tried to use UBOOT_CONFIG[nand] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_config,ubifs", no avail.

I'd first have a look what this ",sdcard" thing is doing (c.f.
http://cgit.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot.inc?h=thud).

> > I haven't used that option before but what's ,ubifs supposed to do? Are
> > you sure this nand option for UBOOT_CONFIG would actually create a .imx
> > and not a .ubifs for example or something along those lines.
> >
> > TL;DR: Make sure UBOOT_CONFIG has nand in it, check that .imx is built
> > with your defconfig and check that you're actually enabling the UBI
> > command in your defconfig.
>
> Yes, all enabled in my kernel 4.19.75:

You're mixing things up. If you want the ubi command to be present in
U-Boot, you need to put it in the U-Boot defconfig. Kernel defconfig has
nothing to do with it. Though, you might want ubi support in the kernel
but that's unrelated to your current issue.

> CONFIG_MTD_UBI=y
> CONFIG_MTD_UBI_WL_THRESHOLD=4096
> CONFIG_MTD_UBI_BEB_LIMIT=20
> CONFIG_MTD_UBI_FASTMAP=y
> # CONFIG_MTD_UBI_GLUEBI is not set
> CONFIG_MTD_UBI_BLOCK=y
> CONFIG_DTC=y
> CONFIG_OF=y
>
> > Also, it would be helpful if you could give links to the recipes you're
> > using. I seem to recall in some other mail it was
> > http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-freescale/tree/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-imx_2017.03.bb?h=sumo
> > but it could be thud version as well.

I've seen a few mails from you recently on the mailing list which are
more or less sequels to previous mails. FWIW, we have an IRC channel on
freenode at #yocto, that might be helpful if you have quick questions
(e.g. your "applying a patch" mail).

I find Yocto to not be the most forgiving when copy-pasting stuff from
the internet. I'd suggest to invest a little bit of time in reading the
source code of what you're trying to modify (u-boot recipes, classes,
etc.), you also have an extensive documentation here:
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.6.4/mega-manual/mega-manual.html
it is a manual containing all the other manuals you can find per topic
here: https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/

I can also suggest Live coding sessions with Jozef on the project's YT
channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TheYoctoProject. (It's Twitch
streams uploaded to YT so if you'd rather watch when he's streaming:
https://www.twitch.tv/letoatreidesthe2nd

I want to end those recommendations on a note: sending mails is perfectly
fine :)

Have fun with Yocto,
Quentin

From: Quentin Schulz @ 2020-02-04  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: linux-mtd, openembedded-core

Hi JH,

On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 10:00:27AM +1100, JH wrote:
> Hi Quentin,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> On 2/3/20, Quentin Schulz <quentin.schulz@streamunlimited.com> wrote:
> > Hi JH,
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 09:56:49PM +1100, JH wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I added my local machine to ubifs, is it correct?
> >>
> >> UBOOT_CONFIG[nand] = "mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config,ubifs"
> >>

> > Also, you need to select UBOOT_CONFIG somewhere, with the above line,
> > you just say "if nand is selected as an UBOOT_CONFIG, do xyz". You still
> > need to select it (with I assume, UBOOT_CONFIG += "nand" in a bbappend
> > somewhere).
>
> Sorry for not being it clear, I indeed defined UBOOT_CONFIG = "nand"
> in the local.conf. Should I define it as UBOOT_CONFIG += "nand" or
> should I move it to a u-boot bbappend?

From what you say below, it was defined in a machine configuration file,