* Building and selecting multiple kernel versions
@ 2020-02-03 17:34 Ryan Harkin
From: Ryan Harkin @ 2020-02-03 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Nicolas Dechesne

Hello all,

I'm looking for advice on how to support multiple kernel versions in my
distro with minimal changes, and minimal disruption to my users.

Some background:

I have a legacy Sumo based distro with an image config, and a machine
config, with the machine using a 4.9 kernel. Last year, I upgraded
everything to Warrior, and moved to a 4.19 kernel.

Some of my users who are migrating from Sumo, wish to keep their 4.9
kernel. So I'm trying to work out how to handle this in the simplest way.

I know that I can add a 4.9 recipes to my Warrior branches, set
PREFERRED_VERSION in my distro.conf. But I don't want to change the default
preferred version globally. And I don't really want users to update the
distro.conf. Ideally, they should be able to take what I give them and
"just" build it to get a 4.9 or 4.19 variant.

Ideally, I don't want to *have* to build both kernels and then create two
images. I expect that will cause confusion and lead to people flashing the
wrong images. So I'd prefer it to be either/or. Of course, I have to test
all of this, so I want to be able to build both variants in CI, which makes
editing distro.conf even more  unattractive.

I've considered giving them a "setup-environment" script that edits the
distro.conf for them, but that seems a bit hacky too. And doesn't really
satisfy my CI requirements.

Has anyone done this before? Or do you have some advice about how I could
handle this?

Many thanks,
Ryan.