* May we create roce_ud_header_unpack()?
@ 2020-02-18 20:53 Andrew Boyer
From: Andrew Boyer @ 2020-02-18 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rdma

There is an ib_ud_header_unpack() in core/ud_header.c, but it has no consumers.

Would I be allowed to add a roce version alongside it?
May I do that now or must it wait until a consumer is ready to be checked in?

Thanks,
Andrew

* Re: May we create roce_ud_header_unpack()?
@ 2020-02-18 20:58 ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2020-02-18 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Boyer; +Cc: linux-rdma

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 03:53:45PM -0500, Andrew Boyer wrote:
> There is an ib_ud_header_unpack() in core/ud_header.c, but it has no consumers.
>
> Would I be allowed to add a roce version alongside it?

Why? Personally I loath these accessors

I have been thinking of dropping all of them in favour of the stuff in
include/rdma/iba.h, which has really been a good improvement to the cm

> May I do that now or must it wait until a consumer is ready to be checked in?

New stuff always needs in-tree users.

You can send a patch to delete ib_ud_header_unpack() though

Jason

* Re: May we create roce_ud_header_unpack()?
@ 2020-02-18 22:40   ` Andrew Boyer
From: Andrew Boyer @ 2020-02-18 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe; +Cc: linux-rdma

> On Feb 18, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ziepe.ca> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 03:53:45PM -0500, Andrew Boyer wrote:
>> There is an ib_ud_header_unpack() in core/ud_header.c, but it has no consumers.
>>
>> Would I be allowed to add a roce version alongside it?
>
> Why? Personally I loath these accessors
>
> I have been thinking of dropping all of them in favour of the stuff in
> include/rdma/iba.h, which has really been a good improvement to the cm
>
>> May I do that now or must it wait until a consumer is ready to be checked in?
>
> New stuff always needs in-tree users.
>
> You can send a patch to delete ib_ud_header_unpack() though
>
> Jason

OK.

It was being used for query_ah and query_qp, but I can design that out, no problem.

Are we still permitted to use ib_ud_header_pack() or should we avoid that too?

@ 2020-02-19  0:04     ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2020-02-19  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Boyer; +Cc: linux-rdma

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 05:40:09PM -0500, Andrew Boyer wrote:

> > On Feb 18, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ziepe.ca> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 03:53:45PM -0500, Andrew Boyer wrote:
> >> There is an ib_ud_header_unpack() in core/ud_header.c, but it has no consumers.
> >>
> >> Would I be allowed to add a roce version alongside it?
> >
> > Why? Personally I loath these accessors
> >
> > I have been thinking of dropping all of them in favour of the stuff in
> > include/rdma/iba.h, which has really been a good improvement to the cm
> >
> >> May I do that now or must it wait until a consumer is ready to be checked in?
> >
> > New stuff always needs in-tree users.
> >
> > You can send a patch to delete ib_ud_header_unpack() though
> >
> > Jason
>
> OK.
>
> It was being used for query_ah and query_qp, but I can design that out, no problem.
>
> Are we still permitted to use ib_ud_header_pack() or should we avoid that too?

You'd be better to just use the IBA macro stuff and add defines for
the new structs you need. The codegen is a lot better than this
pack/unpack

Jason