* MIPS Hardware support
@ 2020-02-27 14:49 Thomas Bogendoerfer
                   ` (12 more replies)
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer @ 2020-02-27 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

Hi,

we have 47 MIPS system types and I'd like to get an overview how alive
they really are. I've already grouped the 47 systems a little bit by
hardware I already own and regulary test kernels. Could you please
give me some feedback about the "unclassified" systems ? What systems
are supported by qemu (real test not just repeating qemu docs) ?
Thank you for your help.

Thomas.

Hardware I own and regulary boot current kernels:

Jazz family of machines (MACH_JAZZ)	/* runs with qemu */
SGI IP22 (Indy/Indigo2) (SGI_IP22)
SGI IP27 (Origin200/2000) (SGI_IP27)
SGI IP28 (Indigo2 R10k) (SGI_IP28)
SGI IP30 (Octane/Octane2) (SGI_IP30)
SGI IP32 (O2) (SGI_IP32)
SNI RM200/300/400 (SNI_RM)

Hardware I own, but not booted for a while:

Texas Instruments AR7 (AR7)
Cobalt Server (MIPS_COBALT)
DECstations (MACH_DECSTATION)
Lantiq based platforms (LANTIQ)
Ralink based machines (RALINK)
Sibyte BCM91480B-BigSur (SIBYTE_BIGSUR)

Unclassified:

Generic board-agnostic MIPS kernel (MIPS_GENERIC)
Alchemy processor based machines (MIPS_ALCHEMY)
Atheros AR231x/AR531x SoC support (ATH25)
Atheros AR71XX/AR724X/AR913X based boards (ATH79)
Broadcom Generic BMIPS kernel (BMIPS_GENERIC)
Broadcom BCM47XX based boards (BCM47XX)
Broadcom BCM63XX based boards (BCM63XX)
Ingenic SoC based machines (MACH_INGENIC)
LASAT Networks platforms (LASAT)
Loongson 32-bit family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON32)
Loongson-2E/F family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON2EF)
Loongson 64-bit family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON64)
IMG Pistachio SoC based boards (MACH_PISTACHIO)
MIPS Malta board (MIPS_MALTA)
Microchip PIC32 Family (MACH_PIC32)
NEC EMMA2RH Mark-eins board (NEC_MARKEINS)
NEC VR4100 series based machines (MACH_VR41XX)
NXP STB220 board (NXP_STB220)
NXP 225 board (NXP_STB225)
PMC-Sierra MSP chipsets (PMC_MSP)
Sibyte BCM91120C-CRhine (SIBYTE_CRHINE)
Sibyte BCM91120x-Carmel (SIBYTE_CARMEL)
Sibyte BCM91125C-CRhone (SIBYTE_CRHONE)
Sibyte BCM91125E-Rhone (SIBYTE_RHONE)
Sibyte BCM91250A-SWARM (SIBYTE_SWARM)
Sibyte BCM91250C2-LittleSur (SIBYTE_LITTLESUR)
Sibyte BCM91250E-Sentosa (SIBYTE_SENTOSA)
Toshiba TX39 series based machines (MACH_TX39XX)
Toshiba TX49 series based machines (MACH_TX49XX)
Mikrotik RB532 boards (MIKROTIK_RB532)
Cavium Networks Octeon SoC based boards (CAVIUM_OCTEON_SOC)
Netlogic XLR/XLS based systems (NLM_XLR_BOARD)
Netlogic XLP based systems (NLM_XLP_BOARD)
Para-Virtualized guest system (MIPS_PARAVIRT)

--
Crap can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessarily a
good idea.                                                [ RFC1925, 2.3 ]

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
@ 2020-02-27 15:05 ` Oleksij Rempel
                   ` (11 subsequent siblings)
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2020-02-27 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer, linux-mips

Hi Thomas,

Am 27.02.20 um 15:49 schrieb Thomas Bogendoerfer:
> Hi,
>
> we have 47 MIPS system types and I'd like to get an overview how alive
> they really are. I've already grouped the 47 systems a little bit by
> hardware I already own and regulary test kernels. Could you please
> give me some feedback about the "unclassified" systems ? What systems
> are supported by qemu (real test not just repeating qemu docs) ?
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Thomas.

Here is my list:
Hardware I own and regulary boot current kernels:
- Atheros AR71XX/AR724X/AR913X based boards (ATH79)
  currently only AR9331. I do mainlining for this chip.
- MIPS Malta board (MIPS_MALTA)
  I use it as QEMU test

Both of them was recently added to our BSP:
https://git.pengutronix.de/cgit/DistroKit/commit/?id=dc788e1c1c1921321377754e47fc558558456019
https://git.pengutronix.de/cgit/DistroKit/commit/?id=521707e129e9d9039b430a201a33d45af143a6d7

Both are supported by barebox:
https://git.pengutronix.de/cgit/barebox/tree/arch/mips

@ 2020-02-27 15:37 ` Jiaxun Yang
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: Jiaxun Yang @ 2020-02-27 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer, linux-mips

于 2020年2月27日 GMT+08:00 下午10:49:10, Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de> 写到:
>Hi,
>
>we have 47 MIPS system types and I'd like to get an overview how alive
>they really are. I've already grouped the 47 systems a little bit by
>hardware I already own and regulary test kernels. Could you please
>give me some feedback about the "unclassified" systems ? What systems
>are supported by qemu (real test not just repeating qemu docs) ?
>Thank you for your help.
>
>Thomas.
>
>Hardware I own and regulary boot current kernels:
>
>Jazz family of machines (MACH_JAZZ)	/* runs with qemu */
>SGI IP22 (Indy/Indigo2) (SGI_IP22)
>SGI IP27 (Origin200/2000) (SGI_IP27)
>SGI IP28 (Indigo2 R10k) (SGI_IP28)
>SGI IP30 (Octane/Octane2) (SGI_IP30)
>SGI IP32 (O2) (SGI_IP32)
>SNI RM200/300/400 (SNI_RM)
>
>Hardware I own, but not booted for a while:
>
>Texas Instruments AR7 (AR7)
>Cobalt Server (MIPS_COBALT)
>DECstations (MACH_DECSTATION)
>Lantiq based platforms (LANTIQ)
>Ralink based machines (RALINK)
>Sibyte BCM91480B-BigSur (SIBYTE_BIGSUR)
>
>Unclassified:
>
>Generic board-agnostic MIPS kernel (MIPS_GENERIC)
>Alchemy processor based machines (MIPS_ALCHEMY)
>Atheros AR231x/AR531x SoC support (ATH25)
>Atheros AR71XX/AR724X/AR913X based boards (ATH79)
>Broadcom Generic BMIPS kernel (BMIPS_GENERIC)
>Broadcom BCM47XX based boards (BCM47XX)
>Broadcom BCM63XX based boards (BCM63XX)
>Ingenic SoC based machines (MACH_INGENIC)
Ingeic X1000 now boots thanks to Yanjie's effort.
I owned a board given by Yanjie, and sometimes test MIPS32 functions on it.

>LASAT Networks platforms (LASAT)
>Loongson 32-bit family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON32)
I owned a Loongson 1C board, and can confirm 5.4 is still bootable.

>Loongson-2E/F family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON2EF)
QEMU Fuloong-2E works fine, tested last year.
And I owned Fuloong-2F. Just tested 5.5 recently.

>Loongson 64-bit family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON64)
No QEMU available.
I owned a Loongson-3B1500 with RS780E PCH system.
It works well with yesterday's mips-next.

I also have Loongson-3A4000 + 7A system,
which should belongs to this type.
However, Loongson-7A PCH support is still missing in mainline
and I'm going to work on that.

>IMG Pistachio SoC based boards (MACH_PISTACHIO)
>MIPS Malta board (MIPS_MALTA)
I use QEMU Malta for regular tests.
It works smoothly.

>Microchip PIC32 Family (MACH_PIC32)
>NEC EMMA2RH Mark-eins board (NEC_MARKEINS)
>NEC VR4100 series based machines (MACH_VR41XX)
>NXP STB220 board (NXP_STB220)
>NXP 225 board (NXP_STB225)
>PMC-Sierra MSP chipsets (PMC_MSP)
>Sibyte BCM91120C-CRhine (SIBYTE_CRHINE)
>Sibyte BCM91120x-Carmel (SIBYTE_CARMEL)
>Sibyte BCM91125C-CRhone (SIBYTE_CRHONE)
>Sibyte BCM91125E-Rhone (SIBYTE_RHONE)
>Sibyte BCM91250A-SWARM (SIBYTE_SWARM)
>Sibyte BCM91250C2-LittleSur (SIBYTE_LITTLESUR)
>Sibyte BCM91250E-Sentosa (SIBYTE_SENTOSA)
>Toshiba TX39 series based machines (MACH_TX39XX)
>Toshiba TX49 series based machines (MACH_TX49XX)
>Mikrotik RB532 boards (MIKROTIK_RB532)
>Cavium Networks Octeon SoC based boards (CAVIUM_OCTEON_SOC)
>Netlogic XLR/XLS based systems (NLM_XLR_BOARD)
>Netlogic XLP based systems (NLM_XLP_BOARD)
>Para-Virtualized guest system (MIPS_PARAVIRT)

--
Jiaxun Yang

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
@ 2020-02-27 15:43 ` Zhou Yanjie
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Zhou Yanjie @ 2020-02-27 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer, linux-mips

Hi Thomas,

Here is my list:

Hardware I own and regulary boot current kernels:
Ingenic SoC based machines (MACH_INGENIC)

Hardware I own, but not booted for a while:
Loongson 32-bit family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON32)
Loongson-2E/F family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON2EF)
Loongson 64-bit family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON64)

Thanks and best regards!

On 2020年02月27日 22:49, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have 47 MIPS system types and I'd like to get an overview how alive
> they really are. I've already grouped the 47 systems a little bit by
> hardware I already own and regulary test kernels. Could you please
> give me some feedback about the "unclassified" systems ? What systems
> are supported by qemu (real test not just repeating qemu docs) ?
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Thomas.
>
> Hardware I own and regulary boot current kernels:
>
> Jazz family of machines (MACH_JAZZ)	/* runs with qemu */
> SGI IP22 (Indy/Indigo2) (SGI_IP22)
> SGI IP27 (Origin200/2000) (SGI_IP27)
> SGI IP28 (Indigo2 R10k) (SGI_IP28)
> SGI IP30 (Octane/Octane2) (SGI_IP30)
> SGI IP32 (O2) (SGI_IP32)
> SNI RM200/300/400 (SNI_RM)
>
> Hardware I own, but not booted for a while:
>
> Texas Instruments AR7 (AR7)
> Cobalt Server (MIPS_COBALT)
> DECstations (MACH_DECSTATION)
> Lantiq based platforms (LANTIQ)
> Ralink based machines (RALINK)
> Sibyte BCM91480B-BigSur (SIBYTE_BIGSUR)
>
> Unclassified:
>
> Generic board-agnostic MIPS kernel (MIPS_GENERIC)
> Alchemy processor based machines (MIPS_ALCHEMY)
> Atheros AR231x/AR531x SoC support (ATH25)
> Atheros AR71XX/AR724X/AR913X based boards (ATH79)
> Broadcom Generic BMIPS kernel (BMIPS_GENERIC)
> Broadcom BCM47XX based boards (BCM47XX)
> Broadcom BCM63XX based boards (BCM63XX)
> Ingenic SoC based machines (MACH_INGENIC)
> LASAT Networks platforms (LASAT)
> Loongson 32-bit family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON32)
> Loongson-2E/F family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON2EF)
> Loongson 64-bit family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON64)
> IMG Pistachio SoC based boards (MACH_PISTACHIO)
> MIPS Malta board (MIPS_MALTA)
> Microchip PIC32 Family (MACH_PIC32)
> NEC EMMA2RH Mark-eins board (NEC_MARKEINS)
> NEC VR4100 series based machines (MACH_VR41XX)
> NXP STB220 board (NXP_STB220)
> NXP 225 board (NXP_STB225)
> PMC-Sierra MSP chipsets (PMC_MSP)
> Sibyte BCM91120C-CRhine (SIBYTE_CRHINE)
> Sibyte BCM91120x-Carmel (SIBYTE_CARMEL)
> Sibyte BCM91125C-CRhone (SIBYTE_CRHONE)
> Sibyte BCM91125E-Rhone (SIBYTE_RHONE)
> Sibyte BCM91250A-SWARM (SIBYTE_SWARM)
> Sibyte BCM91250C2-LittleSur (SIBYTE_LITTLESUR)
> Sibyte BCM91250E-Sentosa (SIBYTE_SENTOSA)
> Toshiba TX39 series based machines (MACH_TX39XX)
> Toshiba TX49 series based machines (MACH_TX49XX)
> Mikrotik RB532 boards (MIKROTIK_RB532)
> Cavium Networks Octeon SoC based boards (CAVIUM_OCTEON_SOC)
> Netlogic XLR/XLS based systems (NLM_XLR_BOARD)
> Netlogic XLP based systems (NLM_XLP_BOARD)
> Para-Virtualized guest system (MIPS_PARAVIRT)

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-02-27 15:43 ` YunQiang Su
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: YunQiang Su @ 2020-02-27 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer; +Cc: linux-mips

Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de> 于2020年2月27日周四 下午10:49写道:

> Hi,
>
> we have 47 MIPS system types and I'd like to get an overview how alive
> they really are. I've already grouped the 47 systems a little bit by
> hardware I already own and regulary test kernels. Could you please
> give me some feedback about the "unclassified" systems ? What systems
> are supported by qemu (real test not just repeating qemu docs) ?
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Thomas.
>
> Hardware I own and regulary boot current kernels:
>
> Jazz family of machines (MACH_JAZZ)     /* runs with qemu */
> SGI IP22 (Indy/Indigo2) (SGI_IP22)
> SGI IP27 (Origin200/2000) (SGI_IP27)
> SGI IP28 (Indigo2 R10k) (SGI_IP28)
> SGI IP30 (Octane/Octane2) (SGI_IP30)
> SGI IP32 (O2) (SGI_IP32)
> SNI RM200/300/400 (SNI_RM)
>
> Hardware I own, but not booted for a while:
>
> Texas Instruments AR7 (AR7)
> Cobalt Server (MIPS_COBALT)
> DECstations (MACH_DECSTATION)
> Lantiq based platforms (LANTIQ)
> Ralink based machines (RALINK)
> Sibyte BCM91480B-BigSur (SIBYTE_BIGSUR)
>
> Unclassified:
>
> Generic board-agnostic MIPS kernel (MIPS_GENERIC)
> Alchemy processor based machines (MIPS_ALCHEMY)
> Atheros AR231x/AR531x SoC support (ATH25)
> Atheros AR71XX/AR724X/AR913X based boards (ATH79)
> Broadcom Generic BMIPS kernel (BMIPS_GENERIC)
> Broadcom BCM47XX based boards (BCM47XX)
> Broadcom BCM63XX based boards (BCM63XX)
> Ingenic SoC based machines (MACH_INGENIC)
> LASAT Networks platforms (LASAT)
> Loongson 32-bit family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON32)
> Loongson-2E/F family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON2EF)
> Loongson 64-bit family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON64)
> IMG Pistachio SoC based boards (MACH_PISTACHIO)
> MIPS Malta board (MIPS_MALTA)

I am using it with MIPS I6500/I6400(r6) and MIPS64R2-generic CPU
to test Debian.

> Microchip PIC32 Family (MACH_PIC32)
> NEC EMMA2RH Mark-eins board (NEC_MARKEINS)
> NEC VR4100 series based machines (MACH_VR41XX)
> NXP STB220 board (NXP_STB220)
> NXP 225 board (NXP_STB225)
> PMC-Sierra MSP chipsets (PMC_MSP)
> Sibyte BCM91120C-CRhine (SIBYTE_CRHINE)
> Sibyte BCM91120x-Carmel (SIBYTE_CARMEL)
> Sibyte BCM91125C-CRhone (SIBYTE_CRHONE)
> Sibyte BCM91125E-Rhone (SIBYTE_RHONE)
> Sibyte BCM91250A-SWARM (SIBYTE_SWARM)
> Sibyte BCM91250C2-LittleSur (SIBYTE_LITTLESUR)
> Sibyte BCM91250E-Sentosa (SIBYTE_SENTOSA)
> Toshiba TX39 series based machines (MACH_TX39XX)
> Toshiba TX49 series based machines (MACH_TX49XX)
> Mikrotik RB532 boards (MIKROTIK_RB532)
> Cavium Networks Octeon SoC based boards (CAVIUM_OCTEON_SOC)

Debian has some to work as build farm and porterbox.
https://db.debian.org/machines.cgi
Search mips there.

> Netlogic XLR/XLS based systems (NLM_XLR_BOARD)
> Netlogic XLP based systems (NLM_XLP_BOARD)
> Para-Virtualized guest system (MIPS_PARAVIRT)

A Russian company have a MIPS P5600. It is not supported by upstream kernel.
https://www.mips.com/products/warrior/p-class-p5600-multiprocessor-core/
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/baikal/baikal-t1

--
YunQiang Su

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-02-27 16:34 ` Mauro Condarelli
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Mauro Condarelli @ 2020-02-27 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer, linux-mips

Hi All.

On 2/27/20 3:49 PM, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have 47 MIPS system types and I'd like to get an overview how alive
> they really are. I've already grouped the 47 systems a little bit by
> hardware I already own and regulary test kernels. Could you please
> give me some feedback about the "unclassified" systems ? What systems
> are supported by qemu (real test not just repeating qemu docs) ?
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Thomas.

FYI: I am successfully running 5.5 kernel on VoCore2 board (MT7628).
I had to somewhat cripple clock management to have fully working
MMC (too ashamed by that crappy code to even try to send
upstream), but it is otherwise fully working.

Mauro

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-02-27 21:16 ` Maciej W. Rozycki
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2020-02-27 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer; +Cc: linux-mips

Hi Thomas,

 My remote lab was offline until last Fri, which limited my verification
with the latest kernels.  However I have live hardware of the following
types and I intend to keep it up to date with Linux, and possibly still
expand support as time permits:

> DECstations (MACH_DECSTATION)

 Several systems of different types, R3k and R4k-based.

> Loongson-2E/F family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON2EF)

 A pair of Fulong Loongson-2E machines.

> MIPS Malta board (MIPS_MALTA)

 A 5Kc-based (64-bit) Malta machine.

> Sibyte BCM91250A-SWARM (SIBYTE_SWARM)

 One system of this kind.

 I have no idea about current QEMU support, but certainly Malta used to be
supported with various processor types.

 HTH,

  Maciej

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-02-28  7:07 ` Tiezhu Yang
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Tiezhu Yang @ 2020-02-28  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer, linux-mips

On 02/27/2020 10:49 PM, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have 47 MIPS system types and I'd like to get an overview how alive
> they really are. I've already grouped the 47 systems a little bit by
> hardware I already own and regulary test kernels. Could you please
> give me some feedback about the "unclassified" systems ? What systems
> are supported by qemu (real test not just repeating qemu docs) ?
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Thomas.
>
> Hardware I own and regulary boot current kernels:
>
> Jazz family of machines (MACH_JAZZ)	/* runs with qemu */
> SGI IP22 (Indy/Indigo2) (SGI_IP22)
> SGI IP27 (Origin200/2000) (SGI_IP27)
> SGI IP28 (Indigo2 R10k) (SGI_IP28)
> SGI IP30 (Octane/Octane2) (SGI_IP30)
> SGI IP32 (O2) (SGI_IP32)
> SNI RM200/300/400 (SNI_RM)
>
> Hardware I own, but not booted for a while:
>
> Texas Instruments AR7 (AR7)
> Cobalt Server (MIPS_COBALT)
> DECstations (MACH_DECSTATION)
> Lantiq based platforms (LANTIQ)
> Ralink based machines (RALINK)
> Sibyte BCM91480B-BigSur (SIBYTE_BIGSUR)
>
> Unclassified:
>
> Generic board-agnostic MIPS kernel (MIPS_GENERIC)
> Alchemy processor based machines (MIPS_ALCHEMY)
> Atheros AR231x/AR531x SoC support (ATH25)
> Atheros AR71XX/AR724X/AR913X based boards (ATH79)
> Broadcom Generic BMIPS kernel (BMIPS_GENERIC)
> Broadcom BCM47XX based boards (BCM47XX)
> Broadcom BCM63XX based boards (BCM63XX)
> Ingenic SoC based machines (MACH_INGENIC)
> LASAT Networks platforms (LASAT)
> Loongson 32-bit family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON32)
> Loongson-2E/F family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON2EF)
> Loongson 64-bit family of machines (MACH_LOONGSON64)

Hi Thomas,

Here is my list (MACH_LOONGSON64):

Loongson 3A3000 CPU + AMD RS780E bridge chip
works well with the mainline kernel linux-5.6-rc3.

Loongson 3A3000 CPU + Loongson 7A1000 bridge chip
only works well with the Loongnix kernel [1]
which is an internal version of Loongson company.

Loongson 3A4000 CPU + Loongson 7A1000 bridge chip
only works well with the Loongnix kernel [1]
which is an internal version of Loongson company.

In order to support Loongson 7A1000 bridge chip,
the Loongson kernel team is working hard to refactor
the code to submit patches to the mainline kernel.

Thanks,

Tiezhu Yang

[1] http://cgit.loongnix.org/cgit/linux-3.10/tree/

> IMG Pistachio SoC based boards (MACH_PISTACHIO)
> MIPS Malta board (MIPS_MALTA)
> Microchip PIC32 Family (MACH_PIC32)
> NEC EMMA2RH Mark-eins board (NEC_MARKEINS)
> NEC VR4100 series based machines (MACH_VR41XX)
> NXP STB220 board (NXP_STB220)
> NXP 225 board (NXP_STB225)
> PMC-Sierra MSP chipsets (PMC_MSP)
> Sibyte BCM91120C-CRhine (SIBYTE_CRHINE)
> Sibyte BCM91120x-Carmel (SIBYTE_CARMEL)
> Sibyte BCM91125C-CRhone (SIBYTE_CRHONE)
> Sibyte BCM91125E-Rhone (SIBYTE_RHONE)
> Sibyte BCM91250A-SWARM (SIBYTE_SWARM)
> Sibyte BCM91250C2-LittleSur (SIBYTE_LITTLESUR)
> Sibyte BCM91250E-Sentosa (SIBYTE_SENTOSA)
> Toshiba TX39 series based machines (MACH_TX39XX)
> Toshiba TX49 series based machines (MACH_TX49XX)
> Mikrotik RB532 boards (MIKROTIK_RB532)
> Cavium Networks Octeon SoC based boards (CAVIUM_OCTEON_SOC)
> Netlogic XLR/XLS based systems (NLM_XLR_BOARD)
> Netlogic XLP based systems (NLM_XLP_BOARD)
> Para-Virtualized guest system (MIPS_PARAVIRT)

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-03-01  6:39 ` WANG Xuerui
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: WANG Xuerui @ 2020-03-01  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer, linux-mips

Hi Thomas,

I'm doing the occasional Linux/MIPS tinkering in my spare time, mainly
with Loongson machines. I have the following MIPS hardware:

Hardware I own and regularly boot current kernels:

- Loongson 3A3000 + RS780E development board (MACH_LOONGSON64)

This is the box I regularly rebase and test my patches with.

Hardware I own but not booted for a while:

- Lemote Yeeloong 8089D netbook (Loongson 2F, MACH_LOONGSON2EF)
- Loongson 3A2000 + RS780E development board (MACH_LOONGSON64)

These two have mainline support.

Hardware I own but not running up-to-date mainline kernels:

- OpenLoongson development board (Loongson 1C, MACH_LOONGSON32)
- Loongson Pi 2 (Loongson 2K1000 SoC, MACH_LOONGSON64)
- Loongson 3A3000 + 7A1000 development board (MACH_LOONGSON64)
- Loongson 3A4000 + 7A1000 development board (MACH_LOONGSON64)

These boards all lack mainline support. Some are in progress, like the
Modernize Loongson Machine patchset by Jiaxun that eventually leads to
mainline 7A support.

Both of my two routers happen to be MIPS-based too, with QCA9558 (ATH79)
and MT7621 (RALINK) inside respectively, but I'm unlikely to mess with
them at the moment.

--
WANG Xuerui

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
@ 2020-03-01 15:19   ` Cye Borg
From: Cye Borg @ 2020-03-01 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: WANG Xuerui; +Cc: Thomas Bogendoerfer, linux-mips

Hi Thomas,

I have
- SGI Indigo2 Impact 10000 (IP28), on which I booted 4.19.79
successfully recently (after some patchwork), I am about to try out
current kernel to ask help on it (if needed)
- SGI Octane (IP30), with R12000, on which I have not tried Linux yet,
but planning to
- SGI Challange S (IP22), the same

Best regards,
Barnabás Virágh

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 7:39 AM WANG Xuerui <git@xen0n.name> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I'm doing the occasional Linux/MIPS tinkering in my spare time, mainly
> with Loongson machines. I have the following MIPS hardware:
>
> Hardware I own and regularly boot current kernels:
>
> - Loongson 3A3000 + RS780E development board (MACH_LOONGSON64)
>
> This is the box I regularly rebase and test my patches with.
>
> Hardware I own but not booted for a while:
>
> - Lemote Yeeloong 8089D netbook (Loongson 2F, MACH_LOONGSON2EF)
> - Loongson 3A2000 + RS780E development board (MACH_LOONGSON64)
>
> These two have mainline support.
>
> Hardware I own but not running up-to-date mainline kernels:
>
> - OpenLoongson development board (Loongson 1C, MACH_LOONGSON32)
> - Loongson Pi 2 (Loongson 2K1000 SoC, MACH_LOONGSON64)
> - Loongson 3A3000 + 7A1000 development board (MACH_LOONGSON64)
> - Loongson 3A4000 + 7A1000 development board (MACH_LOONGSON64)
>
> These boards all lack mainline support. Some are in progress, like the
> Modernize Loongson Machine patchset by Jiaxun that eventually leads to
> mainline 7A support.
>
> Both of my two routers happen to be MIPS-based too, with QCA9558 (ATH79)
> and MT7621 (RALINK) inside respectively, but I'm unlikely to mess with
> them at the moment.
>
> --
> WANG Xuerui

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-03-01 23:50 ` Joshua Kinard
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Joshua Kinard @ 2020-03-01 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer, linux-mips

On 2/27/2020 09:49, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have 47 MIPS system types and I'd like to get an overview how alive
> they really are. I've already grouped the 47 systems a little bit by
> hardware I already own and regulary test kernels. Could you please
> give me some feedback about the "unclassified" systems ? What systems
> are supported by qemu (real test not just repeating qemu docs) ?
> Thank you for your help.

Almost all SGI-based machines here:
  - SGI IP19/Indigo R4000 (speed unknown)
  - SGI IP22/Indy R5000 (dead RTC at the moment)
  - SGI IP26/Indigo2 R8000
  - SGI IP27/Onyx2 R14000 x4 @ 500MHz
  - SGI IP27/Origin 200 R12000 x2 @ 360MHz
  - SGI IP28/Indigo2 R10000
  - SGI IP30/Octane R14000 x2 @ 600MHz
  - SGI IP30/Octane R12000 x2 @ 400MHz
  - SGI IP32/O2 RM7000 @ 350MHz
  - SGI IP32/O2 R10000 @ 250MHz (I think)
  - SGI IP35/Fuel R14000 (I think)
  - SGI IP35/Origin 300 R14000 x4 @ 500MHz
  - SGI IP35/Tezro R16000 x4 @ 700MHz

Also have a Cobalt RaQ2 that might be salvageable, and I recently picked up
a Cobalt Qube2 that probably works (but I haven't powered it up yet).
Doubtful either of those can handle modern Linux, since their RAM is capped
at 256MB, and current gcc probably needs a lot more than that to even build.

I've enough spare parts that I can probably cobble together an RM5200-based
O2, the same CPU class as in the Cobalt devices (CPU_NEVADA), should testing
on that kind of CPU be needed (PMC Sierra-based, not NEC, so there are
differences).

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
@ 2020-03-02  8:22   ` Manuel Lauss
From: Manuel Lauss @ 2020-03-02  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-MIPS, Thomas Bogendoerfer, Joshua Kinard

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 12:50 AM Joshua Kinard <kumba@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 2/27/2020 09:49, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > we have 47 MIPS system types and I'd like to get an overview how alive
> > they really are. I've already grouped the 47 systems a little bit by
> > hardware I already own and regulary test kernels. Could you please
> > give me some feedback about the "unclassified" systems ? What systems
> > are supported by qemu (real test not just repeating qemu docs) ?
> > Thank you for your help.

I have all Alchemy DB1xxx boards, still working, as well as few MTX-1.

As an aside, does anyone know where to get "newer" MIPS hardware,
for example with 64bit MipsR6 cores?

Manuel

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-03-02  8:35 ` dtb .
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: dtb . @ 2020-03-02  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer; +Cc: linux-mips

hi
when (which kernel future release?) do you think it will be possible
to have a working PCI subsystem with SGI IP30? I'd love to use a
PCI_EHCI card, and a PCI_SATA card for a couple of practical projects.

please let me know

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
@ 2020-03-02 11:11     ` YunQiang Su
From: YunQiang Su @ 2020-03-02 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Lauss; +Cc: Linux-MIPS, Thomas Bogendoerfer, Joshua Kinard

Manuel Lauss <manuel.lauss@gmail.com> 于2020年3月2日周一 下午4:22写道:

> On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 12:50 AM Joshua Kinard <kumba@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 2/27/2020 09:49, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > we have 47 MIPS system types and I'd like to get an overview how alive
> > > they really are. I've already grouped the 47 systems a little bit by
> > > hardware I already own and regulary test kernels. Could you please
> > > give me some feedback about the "unclassified" systems ? What systems
> > > are supported by qemu (real test not just repeating qemu docs) ?
> > > Thank you for your help.
>
> I have all Alchemy DB1xxx boards, still working, as well as few MTX-1.
>
> As an aside, does anyone know where to get "newer" MIPS hardware,

Loongson has 64r5 machines.
Ingenic has 32r2+ machines
elvse has 32r5 boards with P5600: http://elveesneotek.com/index.php?id=1575

> for example with 64bit MipsR6 cores?

You cannot purchase r6 machines yet.
Currently we can only use qemu:
   http://mips64el.bfsu.edu.cn/debian-new/tarball/sid/qemu/

--
YunQiang Su

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-03-02 14:30 ` Jonas Gorski
From: Jonas Gorski @ 2020-03-02 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer; +Cc: linux-mips

Hi,

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 15:49, Thomas Bogendoerfer
<tsbogend@alpha.franken.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have 47 MIPS system types and I'd like to get an overview how alive
> they really are. I've already grouped the 47 systems a little bit by
> hardware I already own and regulary test kernels. Could you please
> give me some feedback about the "unclassified" systems ? What systems
> are supported by qemu (real test not just repeating qemu docs) ?
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Thomas.
>
> Unclassified:
>

> Broadcom Generic BMIPS kernel (BMIPS_GENERIC)
> Broadcom BCM63XX based boards (BCM63XX)

I own and use mostly the latter (which is partially also supported by
the former), with the occasional fixes and improvements sent upstream.
BMIPS_GENERIC supports more than BCM63XX based boards, but I only have
the latter.

The long-term goal is to replace BCM63XX with BMIPS_GENERIC, but
feature parity is still a bit off.

Regards
Jonas

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
@ 2020-03-04 16:22   ` Thomas Bogendoerfer
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer @ 2020-03-04 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dtb .; +Cc: linux-mips

On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 09:35:09AM +0100, dtb . wrote:
> when (which kernel future release?) do you think it will be possible
> to have a working PCI subsystem with SGI IP30? I'd love to use a
> PCI_EHCI card, and a PCI_SATA card for a couple of practical projects.

32bit DMA support for bridge (which is needed at least for EHCI) is
on my todo list, but it's not top priority.

Thomas.

--

@ 2020-03-09 11:43     ` Huacai Chen
From: Huacai Chen @ 2020-03-09 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer; +Cc: dtb ., open list:MIPS

Hi, Thomas,

I come from Lemote Inc., the largest Loongson ODM/OEM corporation, I
have all kinds of Loongson-3 machines (with RS780, SR5690, LS2H or
LS7A bridges) and a few Loongson-2H/2K machines.

I'm working hard together with Jiaxun Yang to modernize Loongson-3's
kernel, thank you.

Huacai

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 12:29 AM Thomas Bogendoerfer
<tsbogend@alpha.franken.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 09:35:09AM +0100, dtb . wrote:
> > when (which kernel future release?) do you think it will be possible
> > to have a working PCI subsystem with SGI IP30? I'd love to use a
> > PCI_EHCI card, and a PCI_SATA card for a couple of practical projects.
>
> 32bit DMA support for bridge (which is needed at least for EHCI) is
> on my todo list, but it's not top priority.
>
> Thomas.
>
> --
> Crap can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessarily a
> good idea.                                                [ RFC1925, 2.3 ]

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-03-11 11:07 ` Thomas Bogendoerfer
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer @ 2020-03-11 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 03:49:10PM +0100, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> [..]

Thank you everybody for giving me information about your hardware.

So we have following system types without users:

LASAT Networks platforms (LASAT)
IMG Pistachio SoC based boards (MACH_PISTACHIO)
NEC EMMA2RH Mark-eins board (NEC_MARKEINS)
NEC VR4100 series based machines (MACH_VR41XX)
NXP STB220 board (NXP_STB220)
NXP 225 board (NXP_STB225)
PMC-Sierra MSP chipsets (PMC_MSP)
Toshiba TX39 series based machines (MACH_TX39XX)
Toshiba TX49 series based machines (MACH_TX49XX)
Mikrotik RB532 boards (MIKROTIK_RB532)
Cavium Networks Octeon SoC based boards (CAVIUM_OCTEON_SOC)
Netlogic XLR/XLS based systems (NLM_XLR_BOARD)
Netlogic XLP based systems (NLM_XLP_BOARD)

As you might have guessed already I'm thinking about dropping dead platforms.

Looking at git history these are my candicates for dropping in 5.8:

LASAT Networks platforms (LASAT)
NEC EMMA2RH Mark-eins board (NEC_MARKEINS)
PMC-Sierra MSP chipsets (PMC_MSP)

If there are still users of that platforms, please speak up !!!

Thomas.

--

@ 2020-03-11 11:13   ` YunQiang Su
From: YunQiang Su @ 2020-03-11 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer; +Cc: linux-mips

Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de> 于2020年3月11日周三 下午7:08写道:

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 03:49:10PM +0100, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> > [..]
>
> Thank you everybody for giving me information about your hardware.
>
> So we have following system types without users:
>
> LASAT Networks platforms (LASAT)
> IMG Pistachio SoC based boards (MACH_PISTACHIO)
> NEC EMMA2RH Mark-eins board (NEC_MARKEINS)
> NEC VR4100 series based machines (MACH_VR41XX)
> NXP STB220 board (NXP_STB220)
> NXP 225 board (NXP_STB225)
> PMC-Sierra MSP chipsets (PMC_MSP)
> Toshiba TX39 series based machines (MACH_TX39XX)
> Toshiba TX49 series based machines (MACH_TX49XX)
> Mikrotik RB532 boards (MIKROTIK_RB532)
> Cavium Networks Octeon SoC based boards (CAVIUM_OCTEON_SOC)

We are using it for our Debian build farm, and they are quite important.

--
YunQiang Su

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
@ 2020-03-11 13:46     ` Thomas Bogendoerfer
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer @ 2020-03-11 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: YunQiang Su; +Cc: linux-mips

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 07:13:57PM +0800, YunQiang Su wrote:
> Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de> 于2020年3月11日周三 下午7:08写道:
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 03:49:10PM +0100, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> > > [..]
> >
> > Thank you everybody for giving me information about your hardware.
> >
> > So we have following system types without users:
> >
> > [..]
> > Cavium Networks Octeon SoC based boards (CAVIUM_OCTEON_SOC)
>
> We are using it for our Debian build farm, and they are quite important.

good to know, and if I haven't made it clear enough, I only want to
drop the three listed platforms below.

> > LASAT Networks platforms (LASAT)
> > NEC EMMA2RH Mark-eins board (NEC_MARKEINS)
> > PMC-Sierra MSP chipsets (PMC_MSP)

--
Crap can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessarily a
good idea.                                                [ RFC1925, 2.3 ]

* Re: MIPS Hardware support
                   ` (11 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-01-06 19:31 ` Hauke Mehrtens
From: Hauke Mehrtens @ 2021-01-06 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer, linux-mips

On 2/27/20 3:49 PM, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have 47 MIPS system types and I'd like to get an overview how alive
> they really are. I've already grouped the 47 systems a little bit by
> hardware I already own and regulary test kernels. Could you please
> give me some feedback about the "unclassified" systems ? What systems
> are supported by qemu (real test not just repeating qemu docs) ?
> Thank you for your help.
>

> Atheros AR71XX/AR724X/AR913X based boards (ATH79)

ath79 is well supported in OpenWrt, you can get devices in normal stores.

> Broadcom BCM47XX based boards (BCM47XX)

BRCM47xx is supported in OpenWrt, you can get devices on ebay.

> IMG Pistachio SoC based boards (MACH_PISTACHIO)

I have an IMG Marduk (Creator Ci40) which uses MACH_PISTACHIO.
This is also supported in upstream OpenWrt, but it does not have many
users.

Hauke