* Current status about arm64 livepatch support
@ 2020-03-04  7:18 Xiao Yang
From: Xiao Yang @ 2020-03-04  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Duwe, Torsten Duwe; +Cc: linux-arm-kernel

Hi Torsten,

Sorry to bother you.

I focus on arm64 livepatch support recently and saw that you have tried
to implement it by:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2018-October/609126.html
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2018-October/609124.html
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2018-October/609125.html

This patch set seems to be blocked because of some issues, but your
another patch set inlcuding the first one "arm64: implement ftrace with
regs" has been merged into upstream kernel:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631104.html
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631107.html
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631105.html
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631106.html
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631114.html

Could you tell me current status about arm64 livepatch support?
For example:
1) Are you(or someone) still working on arm64 livepatch support?
2) Are there some unresolved problems about arm64 livepatch support?
   What are they?
3) Will you send a newer version for arm64 livepatch support recently?

I look forward to your reply. :-)

Best Regards,
Xiao Yang

* Re: Current status about arm64 livepatch support
@ 2020-03-13  2:27 ` Xiao Yang
From: Xiao Yang @ 2020-03-13  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Duwe, Torsten Duwe; +Cc: linux-arm-kernel

Hi,

Ping.

Best Regards,
Xiao Yang

@ 2020-03-13 12:22   ` Mark Rutland
From: Mark Rutland @ 2020-03-13 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiao Yang
  Cc: Torsten Duwe, Mark Brown, Torsten Duwe, Julien Thierry, linux-arm-kernel

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 10:27:23AM +0800, Xiao Yang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ping.
>
> Best Regards,
> Xiao Yang
>
> On 2020/3/4 15:18, Xiao Yang wrote:
> > Hi Torsten,
> >
> > Sorry to bother you.
> >
> > I focus on arm64 livepatch support recently and saw that you have tried
> > to implement it by:
> > http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2018-October/609126.html
> > http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2018-October/609124.html
> > http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2018-October/609125.html
> >
> > This patch set seems to be blocked because of some issues, but your
> > another patch set inlcuding the first one "arm64: implement ftrace with
> > regs" has been merged into upstream kernel:
> > http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631104.html
> > http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631107.html
> > http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631105.html
> > http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631106.html
> > http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631114.html
> >
> > Could you tell me current status about arm64 livepatch support?
> > For example:
> > 1) Are you(or someone) still working on arm64 livepatch support?
> > 2) Are there some unresolved problems about arm64 livepatch support?
> >     What are they?
> > 3) Will you send a newer version for arm64 livepatch support recently?

1) I beleive a few people are working on portions of this.

2) I believe that some work is necessary.

   Julien Thierry has done some work on objtool, which is necessary to
   check ensure that sequences (including assembly functions) manipulate
   the stack, and calls/returns as we expect. Mark Brown has been
   converting our assembly to use modern annotations which objtool
   consumes when checking this.

   There might be additional assembly work necessary for this, depending
   on any deecisions we make for objtool.

   For reliable stack tracing we may need to rework some assemvly and/or
   rework the stack tracing code. That will likely depend on the objtool
   bits.

Thanks,
Mark.

* Re: Current status about arm64 livepatch support
@ 2020-03-13 13:09     ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2020-03-13 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Rutland
  Cc: Torsten Duwe, Torsten Duwe, Xiao Yang, linux-arm-kernel, Julien Thierry

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 12:22:45PM +0000, Mark Rutland wrote:

>    For reliable stack tracing we may need to rework some assemvly and/or
>    rework the stack tracing code. That will likely depend on the objtool
>    bits.

I'm looking a bit at the stack tracing part - most immediately at
converting arm64 over to the newer arch_stack_walk() interfaces.
There's a couple of other bits of work that have higher priority though,
but they're getting to the point where there's gaps for review so I will
hopefully have some time.

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Current status about arm64 livepatch support
@ 2020-03-13 13:30       ` Julien Thierry
From: Julien Thierry @ 2020-03-13 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Rutland, Xiao Yang
  Cc: Torsten Duwe, Torsten Duwe, linux-arm-kernel, Mark Brown, live-patching

[Cc-ing live-patching mailing list which might also be interested in the
progress of arm64 support]

On 3/13/20 12:22 PM, Mark Rutland wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 10:27:23AM +0800, Xiao Yang wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Ping.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Xiao Yang
>>
>> On 2020/3/4 15:18, Xiao Yang wrote:
>>> Hi Torsten,
>>>
>>> Sorry to bother you.
>>>
>>> I focus on arm64 livepatch support recently and saw that you have tried
>>> to implement it by:
>>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2018-October/609126.html
>>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2018-October/609124.html
>>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2018-October/609125.html
>>>
>>> This patch set seems to be blocked because of some issues, but your
>>> another patch set inlcuding the first one "arm64: implement ftrace with
>>> regs" has been merged into upstream kernel:
>>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631104.html
>>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631107.html
>>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631105.html
>>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631106.html
>>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2019-February/631114.html
>>>
>>> Could you tell me current status about arm64 livepatch support?
>>> For example:
>>> 1) Are you(or someone) still working on arm64 livepatch support?
>>> 2) Are there some unresolved problems about arm64 livepatch support?
>>>      What are they?
>>> 3) Will you send a newer version for arm64 livepatch support recently?
>
> 1) I beleive a few people are working on portions of this.
>
> 2) I believe that some work is necessary.
>
>     Julien Thierry has done some work on objtool, which is necessary to
>     check ensure that sequences (including assembly functions) manipulate
>     the stack, and calls/returns as we expect. Mark Brown has been
>     converting our assembly to use modern annotations which objtool
>     consumes when checking this.

I've recently started working on the arm64 objtool again and saw the
work to use new annotations by Mark B. which is very helpful, thanks for
that. I've rebased the objtool work on them and working on solving the
new/remaining objtool warnings.

I've also reworked the arm64 decoder. I'm not sure yet when I'll be able
to post a new version but it's coming!

>     There might be additional assembly work necessary for this, depending
>     on any deecisions we make for objtool.
>
>     For reliable stack tracing we may need to rework some assemvly and/or
>     rework the stack tracing code. That will likely depend on the objtool
>     bits.

There is one thing I'll be introducing in the next arm64 objtool
patchset which are unwind_hints (inspired from
arch/x86/include/asm/unhind_hints.h) which are annotation indicating in
which state we expect the stack to be when entering assembly code or
fiddling with stack registers in the middle of assembly code.

I haven't finished the work on that yet.

Cheers,

--
Julien Thierry

From: Julien Thierry @ 2020-03-13 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)