* Re: yocto on tinkerbaord using meta-rockchip
       [not found] <CAFP0Ok8cBje8vofUwqo2ac5moA7Yj3OiJNO9DDbJJXxCJUsEtA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-03-20  1:58 ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2020-03-20  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: karthik poduval; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Hi Karthik,

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 9:36 PM karthik poduval
<karthik.poduval@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for you work on meta-rockchip layer. You were listed as the
> maintainer for meta-rockchip so I though I will send you a mail with
> an issue I was facing.
>
> I was trying to flash an image on a Asus tinker board using
> meta-rockchip. Here are the steps I followed.
>
> git clone git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky
> git clone  git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-rockchip
> source poky/oe-init-build-env
> bitbake-layers add-layer ../../meta-rockchip/
> MACHINE=tinker-board bitbake core-image-minimal
>
> #flahsed it using the following command to sdcard (my sdcard was dev/sde)
> sudo dd if=tmp/deploy/images/tinker-board/core-image-minimal-tinker-board.wic
> of=/dev/sde
>
> after inserting sdcard and booting up I can see on the serial console
> it attempts to boot, crosses bootloader and proceeds to linux boot but
> then gets hing around dwmmc_rockchip loading.
>
> Attached the complete serial log. Your help is greatly appreciated.

According to the log, your board is a "tinker-board-s", please try
using that for your MACHINE instead of "tinker-board".

Thanks and best regards,
    Trevor

* Re: [yocto] yocto on tinkerbaord using meta-rockchip
@ 2020-03-20  9:10   ` Yann Dirson
From: Yann Dirson @ 2020-03-20  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list; +Cc: karthik poduval, Jeffy Chen, Trevor Woerner

Wow, I'm suprised to discover this meta-rockchip :)

Rockchip engineers also publish a meta-rockchip on Github (
https://github.com/rockchip-linux/meta-rockchip), although
nowadays it's mainly Jeffy Chen publishing on
https://github.com/JeffyCN/meta-rockchip/

Those two repos seem quite complementary, Jeffy being focussed on kernel
4.4, and Trevor on mainline.
Wouldn't it make sense to merge all this work in a single place ?

--
Yann Dirson <yann@blade-group.com>
Blade / Shadow -- http://shadow.tech

* Re: [yocto] yocto on tinkerbaord using meta-rockchip
@ 2020-03-20 15:09     ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2020-03-20 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann Dirson, Yocto discussion list
  Cc: karthik poduval, Jeffy Chen, Trevor Woerner

On 3/20/20 3:10 AM, Yann Dirson wrote:
> Wow, I'm suprised to discover this meta-rockchip :)
>
> Rockchip engineers also publish a meta-rockchip on Github (
> https://github.com/rockchip-linux/meta-rockchip), although
> nowadays it's mainly Jeffy Chen publishing on
> https://github.com/JeffyCN/meta-rockchip/
>
> Those two repos seem quite complementary, Jeffy being focussed on kernel
> 4.4, and Trevor on mainline.
> Wouldn't it make sense to merge all this work in a single place ?

Yes :) But you observe the key issue, Trevor is correctly focused on the
upstream kernel and the vendor layer on an old vendor kernel. The vendor
kernels rapidly turn into maintenance nightmares over a product lifetime.

Philip

@ 2020-03-21  7:09   ` Karthik Poduval
From: Karthik Poduval @ 2020-03-21  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for getting back, I tried with tinker-board-s machine type but same
result. I also tried flashing Asus Debian image on sdcard but that too
didn't work (no console logs with this image). I am suspecting it's a
hardware issue at this point. Any other suggestions or insights would be
appreciated.

@ 2020-03-23 11:14       ` Sergey Bostandzhyan
From: Sergey Bostandzhyan @ 2020-03-23 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: karthik poduval; +Cc: Trevor Woerner, Yocto discussion list

Hi everyone,

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 01:59:11PM -0400, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> Testing a different image was a good idea, and the fact it didn't work
> either suggests it might possibly be hardware related. To me this
> suggests, perhaps, a power supply issue (i.e. the fact it boots up
> partway then stops). Can you try with other sources of power?

this is indeed a good suggestion, I ran into such an issue myself, actually
had it with Armbian and was pointed here by the Armbian devs:

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/4767-powering-through-micro-usb

Apparently even picking a different USB cable can make a difference.

What I observed was that LEDs went off at some point during kernel
startup and the board went dead. After being pointed to the above link I
tried a much stronger USB power suppy (from an Acer netbook) and then
it suddenly worked without any modifications to the software.

> Also, although the Tinkerboard has the same pin layout as the
> Raspberry Pi, unlike the Raspberry Pi the Rockchip people like to use
> UART2 for the console rather than UART1. Is your console cable
> connected to UART2 (pins 32 and 33)?
>
> https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index.php/GPIO

I have a tinker-board-s, I am using it with meta-rockhip and I can confirm that
it works for me (also using UART2 on the pins described by Trevor), so the
layer as such should work...

Kind regards,
Jin

* Re: yocto on tinkerbaord using meta-rockchip
@ 2020-03-23 17:59     ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2020-03-23 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: karthik poduval; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 3:09 AM karthik poduval

@ 2020-03-23 21:31         ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2020-03-23 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Bostandzhyan
  Cc: karthik poduval, Trevor Woerner, Yocto discussion list

Hi all

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 7:15 PM Sergey Bostandzhyan <jin@mediatomb.cc> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 01:59:11PM -0400, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> > Testing a different image was a good idea, and the fact it didn't work
> > either suggests it might possibly be hardware related. To me this
> > suggests, perhaps, a power supply issue (i.e. the fact it boots up
> > partway then stops). Can you try with other sources of power?
>
> this is indeed a good suggestion, I ran into such an issue myself, actually
> had it with Armbian and was pointed here by the Armbian devs:
>
> https://forum.armbian.com/topic/4767-powering-through-micro-usb
>
> Apparently even picking a different USB cable can make a difference.
>
> What I observed was that LEDs went off at some point during kernel
> startup and the board went dead. After being pointed to the above link I
> tried a much stronger USB power suppy (from an Acer netbook) and then
> it suddenly worked without any modifications to the software.
>
> > Also, although the Tinkerboard has the same pin layout as the
> > Raspberry Pi, unlike the Raspberry Pi the Rockchip people like to use
> > UART2 for the console rather than UART1. Is your console cable
> > connected to UART2 (pins 32 and 33)?
> >
> > https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index.php/GPIO
>
> I have a tinker-board-s, I am using it with meta-rockhip and I can confirm that
> it works for me (also using UART2 on the pins described by Trevor), so the
> layer as such should work...

What about the status of qt layer using panfrost? and mainline

Michael

--
| Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi                     Amarula Solutions BV |
| COO  -  Founder                                      Cruquiuskade 47 |

* Re: [yocto] yocto on tinkerbaord using meta-rockchip
@ 2020-03-23 21:45           ` Trevor Woerner
       [not found]             ` <15FF0D3ABE30F2B0.31066@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2020-03-23 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
  Cc: Sergey Bostandzhyan, karthik poduval, Yocto discussion list

On Mon 2020-03-23 @ 10:31:05 PM, Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi wrote:
> What about the status of qt layer using panfrost? and mainline

Thanks to JPEW, mesa with panfrost is enabled/working with relevant boards.
I've tested it, running, on both the rock-pi-4 and tinkerboard (so it *should*
be working with your vyasa-rk3288 board too, although I haven't run-tested it
lately). Therefore most anything sitting on top of mesa *should* work.

Of course... the panfrost project is a "work-in-progress", so there are
probably some cases that might not work.

@ 2020-03-23 21:48             ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
       [not found]               ` <15FF12CB62D1AFA0.10617@lists.yoctoproject.org>
       [not found]             ` <15FF0D3ABE30F2B0.31066@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2020-03-23 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner
  Cc: Sergey Bostandzhyan, karthik poduval, Yocto discussion list

Hi

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:45 PM Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon 2020-03-23 @ 10:31:05 PM, Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi wrote:
> > What about the status of qt layer using panfrost? and mainline
>
> Thanks to JPEW, mesa with panfrost is enabled/working with relevant boards.
> I've tested it, running, on both the rock-pi-4 and tinkerboard (so it *should*
> be working with your vyasa-rk3288 board too, although I haven't run-tested it
> lately). Therefore most anything sitting on top of mesa *should* work.
>
> Of course... the panfrost project is a "work-in-progress", so there are
> probably some cases that might not work.

Technically I can include meta-qt and build on top of mesa using
wayland and some
mainline kernel. I'm working right now on tinker-s board and figure
out to move legacy
project on mainline solution.  I will try to compile it and give a try

Michael

--

@ 2020-03-23 23:30               ` Karthik Poduval
       [not found]               ` <15FF12CB62D1AFA0.10617@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Karthik Poduval @ 2020-03-23 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
  Cc: Trevor Woerner, Sergey Bostandzhyan, Yocto discussion list

Thanks for the tip Joshua,

Like you suggested it was power supply related, I am able to boot the
board now with a 3A power supply.

Hi Tever,

Yes I have my console connected to UART2 and it seems to work fine for
the yocto build. For the tinkerOS image neither UART1 or UART2 had a
console output but the board booted successfully over HDMI (I didn't
test it any further).

Appreciate all the help everyone.

Karthik Poduval

@ 2020-03-24 20:44                 ` Karthik Poduval
From: Karthik Poduval @ 2020-03-24 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi, yocto

Hi Trevor,

I was trying to enable the WiFi on tinker-board which is RTL8723BS
chipset. Although the driver for the chip is in the mainline
kernel(staging). Its isn't enabled in the defconfig which appears to
be multi_v7_defconfig for rk3288.
So I tried adding it via kernel config fragment as.
rtl8723bs-wlan.cfg:
CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT=y
CONFIG_WEXT_CORE=y
CONFIG_WEXT_PROC=y
CONFIG_WEXT_PRIV=y
CONFIG_RTL8723BS=m

I tried adding this fragment to linux-mutual.inc as
SRC_URI_append-tinker-board = "file://rtl8723bs-wlan.cfg"

However it didn't apply the kernel config fragment. I suspect its
because of the following lines in linux-mutual.inc.
KCONF_BSP_AUDIT_LEVEL = "0"
deltask kernel_configme

removing those lines causes a build failure. Are those lines causing
the fragment to not apply. How to resolve this issue ?

I could do a patch on defconfig but that may not work for the long
term as def configs change.
Other option is to provide a config file with wireless enabled for
tiner-board but don't want to go there until I know why fragments
can't be applied.

Karthik Poduval

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 4:31 PM Karthik Poduval via
Lists.Yoctoproject.Org
<karthik.poduval=gmail.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the tip Joshua,
>
> Like you suggested it was power supply related, I am able to boot the
> board now with a 3A power supply.
>
> Hi Tever,
>
> Yes I have my console connected to UART2 and it seems to work fine for
> the yocto build. For the tinkerOS image neither UART1 or UART2 had a
> console output but the board booted successfully over HDMI (I didn't
> test it any further).
>
> Appreciate all the help everyone.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Karthik Poduval
>
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 2:48 PM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
> <michael@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi

> > > Thanks to JPEW, mesa with panfrost is enabled/working with relevant boards.
> > > I've tested it, running, on both the rock-pi-4 and tinkerboard (so it *should*
> > > be working with your vyasa-rk3288 board too, although I haven't run-tested it
> > > lately). Therefore most anything sitting on top of mesa *should* work.
> > >
> > > Of course... the panfrost project is a "work-in-progress", so there are
> > > probably some cases that might not work.
> >
> > Technically I can include meta-qt and build on top of mesa using
> > wayland and some
> > mainline kernel. I'm working right now on tinker-s board and figure
> > out to move legacy
> > project on mainline solution.  I will try to compile it and give a try
> >
> > Michael
> >

> > > Best regards,
> > >         Trevor
> >

> > --
> > | Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi                     Amarula Solutions BV |
> > | COO  -  Founder                                      Cruquiuskade 47 |
> > | +31(0)851119172                                 Amsterdam 1018 AM NL |
> > |                  [`as] http://www.amarulasolutions.com               |
>

> --
> Regards,
> Karthik Poduval

Karthik Poduval

@ 2020-04-05  6:37               ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2020-04-05  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi; +Cc: Trevor Woerner, yocto

Hi

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:49 PM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi via
Lists.Yoctoproject.Org
<michael=amarulasolutions.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:45 PM Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon 2020-03-23 @ 10:31:05 PM, Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi wrote:
> > > What about the status of qt layer using panfrost? and mainline
> >
> > Thanks to JPEW, mesa with panfrost is enabled/working with relevant boards.
> > I've tested it, running, on both the rock-pi-4 and tinkerboard (so it *should*
> > be working with your vyasa-rk3288 board too, although I haven't run-tested it
> > lately). Therefore most anything sitting on top of mesa *should* work.
> >
> > Of course... the panfrost project is a "work-in-progress", so there are
> > probably some cases that might not work.
>
> Technically I can include meta-qt and build on top of mesa using
> wayland and some
> mainline kernel. I'm working right now on tinker-s board and figure
> out to move legacy
> project on mainline solution.  I will try to compile it and give a try

I get some experience and get working the tinker board on meta-rockchip layer.

I should start to play with maniline soon and test vyasa board to have
the same level
of support

Michael