* udev events for iscsi
@ 2020-04-20 16:55 Gionatan Danti
From: Gionatan Danti @ 2020-04-20 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

Hi all,
I have a question regarding udev events when using iscsi disks.

By using "udevadm monitor" I can see that events are generated when I
login and logout from an iscsi portal/resource, creating/destroying the
relative links under /dev/

However, I can not see anything when the remote machine simple
dies/reboots/disconnects: while "dmesg" shows the iscsi timeout
expiring, I don't see anything about a removed disk (and the links under
/dev/ remains unaltered, indeed). At the same time, when the remote
machine and disk become available again, no reconnection events happen.

Is this the expected behavior? Can be changed? Should I ping the
linux-scsi list instead?
Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico

* Re: udev events for iscsi
@ 2020-04-21 15:41 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2020-04-21 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 06:55:52PM +0200, Gionatan Danti wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a question regarding udev events when using iscsi disks.
>
> By using "udevadm monitor" I can see that events are generated when I login
> and logout from an iscsi portal/resource, creating/destroying the relative
> links under /dev/
>
> However, I can not see anything when the remote machine simple
> dies/reboots/disconnects: while "dmesg" shows the iscsi timeout expiring, I
> don't see anything about a removed disk (and the links under /dev/ remains
> unaltered, indeed). At the same time, when the remote machine and disk
> become available again, no reconnection events happen.
>
> Is this the expected behavior? Can be changed? Should I ping the linux-scsi
> list instead?

Try asking the linux-scsi developers, as they know what should happen
here more than anyone.

thanks,

greg k-h