* passing __user function parameter from kernel_module result in EFAULT
@ 2020-04-21 18:14 Lev R. Oshvang .
From: Lev R. Oshvang . @ 2020-04-21 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi all, I am trying to do a mount from kernel module in kernel 5.4 on x86_64.
It fails with -14,  I tried to set_fs(USER_DS) before calling do_mount
but it did not
 help.

do_mount() returns -EFAUTL when it checks filename validity just at
the very first lines of do_mount ().

Are there other tricks to do in order to overcome and access_ok checks?

Thanks,
Lev

* Re: passing __user function parameter from kernel_module result in EFAULT
@ 2020-04-25  7:43 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2020-04-25  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lev R. Oshvang .; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 09:14:00PM +0300, Lev R. Oshvang . wrote:
> Hi all, I am trying to do a mount from kernel module in kernel 5.4 on x86_64.
> It fails with -14,  I tried to set_fs(USER_DS) before calling do_mount
> but it did not
>  help.
>

> do_mount() returns -EFAUTL when it checks filename validity just at
> the very first lines of do_mount ().
>
> Are there other tricks to do in order to overcome and access_ok checks?

No "trick" is needed, just properly convert the data to a kernel pointer
and you should be fine.  Never touch the data pointed to by a userspace
pointer.

greg k-h