* Feature request: Boot default subvolume in BTRFS
@ 2020-04-28 13:59 Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2020-04-28 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Hello,

this is the description of my feature request:
Grub is booting the default subvolume in BTRFS w/o any manual
modification in Grub configuration.

Current situation:
Booting a snapshot created with Snapper
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Snapper> is not possible w/o
modifying the Grub entries.
This is related to the Snapper functionality that creates a ro snapshot
that must be booted and then creates another rw snapshot of the
currently booted ro snapshot. Then Grub configuration must be recreated
to reflect the newly created rw snapshot.

Available solution:
In OpenSuse Grub is always booting the default snapshot and hereby Grub
configuration must not be adjusted.
To my understanding OpenSuse uses a patched Grub.

Regards
Thomas

* Re: Feature request: Boot default subvolume in BTRFS
@ 2020-04-29 11:02 ` Michael Chang
From: Michael Chang @ 2020-04-29 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 03:59:53PM +0200, Thomas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this is the description of my feature request:
> Grub is booting the default subvolume in BTRFS w/o any manual
> modification in Grub configuration.
>
> Current situation:
> Booting a snapshot created with Snapper
> <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Snapper> is not possible w/o
> modifying the Grub entries.
> This is related to the Snapper functionality that creates a ro snapshot
> that must be booted and then creates another rw snapshot of the
> currently booted ro snapshot. Then Grub configuration must be recreated
> to reflect the newly created rw snapshot.
>
> Available solution:
> In OpenSuse Grub is always booting the default snapshot and hereby Grub
> configuration must not be adjusted.
> To my understanding OpenSuse uses a patched Grub.

I will send those patches to the mailing list once they are polished for
review.

Thanks,
Michael