* [not urgent] ROHM PMIC/Charger IC driver maintenance.
@ 2020-05-18  7:38 Vaittinen, Matti
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Vaittinen, Matti @ 2020-05-18  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mazziesaccount
  Cc: alexandre.belloni, linux, wim, broonie, lee.jones, sboyd,
	linus.walleij, linux-kernel, sre, bgolaszewski, lgirdwood,
	mturquette, a.zummo, robh+dt

Hello All,

In short - I consider adding myself in MAINTAINERs for the ROHM IC
drivers I've authored. I would like to get your opinion as subsystem
maintainers on the area where these driver belong. If you don't care -
then no need to read further :) If you do read, then I would appreciate
hearing about your expectations regarding reviews, ACKs etc.

Longer story, I have contributed drivers for ROHM PMICs
BD71837/BD71847/BD71850, BD70528, BD71828/BD71878 and ROHM charger IC
BD99954. I did also refactor the linear_ranges code out of the
regulator framework. Now I am working on with another PMIC driver
(regulators/watchdog) which I hope to end up in upstream at autumn
after the proper testing. There is also some pieces in regmap-irq which
I have added.

I would like to participate in reviewing work for patches to these
drivers (and perhaps the linear_ranges) and possibly set up some test
jobs where I can run some tests involving some of the PMICs. I hope
this helps the community too.

I would also benefit from being informed when a fix is sent to one of
these areas as I am anyways paid to be hosting some out-of-tree
additions to these drivers. So my git tree would benefit from getting
the odd fixes upstream is getting. Reviewing mails would serve as a
heads up for me.

Thus I consider adding few entries to MAINTAINERs in order to be
getting the patches for review/test. What I don't consider doing is
integrating the patches in "official Linux" - Eg. all patches should
still go upstream via your trees.

What kind of participation would you expect/appreciate from me if I
added myself in MAINTAINERS for these drivers I authored? Any
objections to that? (I don't really know how MAINTAINERs entries should
be added - and I didn't [easily] find up-to-date explanation to that).
For where I can be of help - I believe I am technically competent for
reviewing C-code. I am not competent for reviewing all styling details
- and I am not too useful what comes to YAML - this syntax is still
really alien to me. Yet I think I have some insight to things the DT
yaml is describing (meaning ROHM HW) :)

I add below the list of files / subsystem.

Regulator:
bd70528-regulator.c
bd71828-regulator.c
bd718x7-regulator.c
rohm-regulator.c
(lib/linear_ranges.c
lib/test_linear_ranges.c?
include/linux/linear_range.h - Who should maintain these?)

Power-supply:
bd70528-charger.c
bd71827-power.c
bd99954-charger.c
bd99954-charger.h

MFD:
rohm-bd70528.c
rohm-bd71828.c
rohm-bd718x7.c
include/linux/mfd/rohm-shared.h
include/linux/mfd/rohm-bd71828.h
include/linux/mfd/rohm-bd70528.h
include/linux/mfd/rohm-generic.h
include/linux/mfd/rohm-bd718x7.h

GPIO:
gpio-bd70528.c
gpio-bd71828.c

RTC:
rtc-bd70528.c

Watchdog:
bd70528_wdt.c

Clk:
clk-bd718x7.c

DT:
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/power/supply/rohm,bd99954.yaml
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mfd/rohm,bd71837-pmic.yaml
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mfd/rohm,bd71847-pmic.yaml
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/regulator/rohm,bd71837-regulator.yaml
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/regulator/rohm,bd71847-regulator.yaml
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mfd/rohm,bd71828-pmic.yaml
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/leds/rohm,bd71828-leds.yaml
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/regulator/rohm,bd71828-regulator.yaml
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mfd/rohm,bd70528-pmic.txt
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/regulator/rohm,bd70528-regulator.txt

Best Regards
	Matti Vaittinen

--
Matti Vaittinen, Linux device drivers
ROHM Semiconductors, Finland SWDC

~~~ "I don't think so," said Rene Descartes. Just then he vanished ~~~

Simon says - in Latin please.
"non cogito me" dixit Rene Descarte, deinde evanescavit

(Thanks for the translation Simon)

* Re: [not urgent] ROHM PMIC/Charger IC driver maintenance.
@ 2020-05-18 10:28 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2020-05-18 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaittinen, Matti
  Cc: mazziesaccount, alexandre.belloni, linux, wim, lee.jones, sboyd,

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 07:38:25AM +0000, Vaittinen, Matti wrote:

> What kind of participation would you expect/appreciate from me if I
> added myself in MAINTAINERS for these drivers I authored? Any

Mainly just reviewing patches.

> objections to that? (I don't really know how MAINTAINERs entries should
> be added - and I didn't [easily] find up-to-date explanation to that).

Send a patch, often along with other stuff that's going on.  I'd guess
MFD would be as good a tree as any for it to go via.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [not urgent] ROHM PMIC/Charger IC driver maintenance.
@ 2020-05-18 10:41 ` Lee Jones
From: Lee Jones @ 2020-05-18 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaittinen, Matti
  Cc: mazziesaccount, alexandre.belloni, linux, wim, broonie, sboyd,

On Mon, 18 May 2020, Vaittinen, Matti wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> In short - I consider adding myself in MAINTAINERs for the ROHM IC
> drivers I've authored. I would like to get your opinion as subsystem
> maintainers on the area where these driver belong. If you don't care -
> then no need to read further :) If you do read, then I would appreciate
> hearing about your expectations regarding reviews, ACKs etc.

It's fine to add yourself to MAINTAINERS for this purpose.

Either as M (mail-to) or R (designated reviewer) is fine.

--
Lee Jones [李琼斯]
Linaro Services Technical Lead

* Re: [not urgent] ROHM PMIC/Charger IC driver maintenance.
@ 2020-05-18 11:00 ` Sebastian Reichel
From: Sebastian Reichel @ 2020-05-18 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaittinen, Matti
  Cc: mazziesaccount, alexandre.belloni, linux, wim, broonie,
	lee.jones, sboyd, linus.walleij, linux-kernel, bgolaszewski,
> [...]

> rtc-bd70528.c
>
> Watchdog:
> bd70528_wdt.c
>
> Clk:
> clk-bd718x7.c
>
> DT:
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/power/supply/rohm,bd99954.yaml
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mfd/rohm,bd71837-pmic.yaml
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mfd/rohm,bd71847-pmic.yaml
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/regulator/rohm,bd71837-regulator.yaml
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/regulator/rohm,bd71847-regulator.yaml
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mfd/rohm,bd71828-pmic.yaml
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/leds/rohm,bd71828-leds.yaml
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/regulator/rohm,bd71828-regulator.yaml
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mfd/rohm,bd70528-pmic.txt
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/regulator/rohm,bd70528-regulator.txt

I suggest to just send something like this entry adapted to the ROHM
drivers:

TI BQ27XXX POWER SUPPLY DRIVER
R:      Andrew F. Davis <afd@ti.com>
F:      drivers/power/supply/bq27xxx_battery.c
F:      drivers/power/supply/bq27xxx_battery_i2c.c
F:      include/linux/power/bq27xxx_battery.h

It will result in get_maintainer.pl to output this:

$ ./scripts/get_maintainer.pl -f drivers/power/supply/bq27xxx_battery.c
"Andrew F. Davis" <afd@ti.com> (reviewer:TI BQ27XXX POWER SUPPLY DRIVER)
"Pali Rohár" <pali@kernel.org> (reviewer:NOKIA N900 POWER SUPPLY DRIVERS)
Sebastian Reichel <sre@kernel.org> (maintainer:POWER SUPPLY CLASS/SUBSYSTEM and DRIVERS)
linux-pm@vger.kernel.org (open list:POWER SUPPLY CLASS/SUBSYSTEM and DRIVERS)
linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org (open list)

For drivers with a dedicated reviewer I wait some time for their
feedback.

For the DT YAML bindings you don't need to do anything:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/e85006456d9dbae55286c67ac5263668a72f5b58.1588022228.git.joe@perches.com/

-- Sebastian

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [not urgent] ROHM PMIC/Charger IC driver maintenance.
@ 2020-05-18 11:36   ` Vaittinen, Matti
From: Vaittinen, Matti @ 2020-05-18 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: broonie
  Cc: linux, wim, mazziesaccount, lee.jones, linus.walleij,
	linux-kernel, sboyd, sre, alexandre.belloni, lgirdwood,
	mturquette, a.zummo, bgolaszewski, robh+dt

Thanks for reply Mark,

On Mon, 2020-05-18 at 11:28 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 07:38:25AM +0000, Vaittinen, Matti wrote:
>
> > What kind of participation would you expect/appreciate from me if I
> > added myself in MAINTAINERS for these drivers I authored? Any
>
> Mainly just reviewing patches.

I can do that :)

> > objections to that? (I don't really know how MAINTAINERs entries
> > should
> > be added - and I didn't [easily] find up-to-date explanation to
> > that).
>
> Send a patch, often along with other stuff that's going on.  I'd
> guess
> MFD would be as good a tree as any for it to go via.

Ah, yes :] I was guessing this is the technical way of adding the
entry. I was more wondering what is expected from maintainer (you
answered that above) and whether there is some criteria as to who can
be a maintainer.

While we are at it - Mark, would you consider following to be fully
inappropriate:

LINEAR RANGES HELPERS
M:      Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org>
R:      Matti Vaittinen <matti.vaittinen@fi.rohmeurope.com>
F:      lib/linear_ranges.c
F:      lib/test_linear_ranges.c
F:      include/linux/linear_range.h

I think that regulators being the main user for linear_ranges the
changes there should go in via your tree - and you should probably be
watching over them anyways :)

Best Regards
	Matti Vaittinen

* Re: [not urgent] ROHM PMIC/Charger IC driver maintenance.
@ 2020-05-18 11:40     ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2020-05-18 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaittinen, Matti
  Cc: linux, wim, mazziesaccount, lee.jones, linus.walleij,

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 11:36:56AM +0000, Vaittinen, Matti wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-05-18 at 11:28 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> While we are at it - Mark, would you consider following to be fully
> inappropriate:

> LINEAR RANGES HELPERS
> M:      Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org>
> R:      Matti Vaittinen <matti.vaittinen@fi.rohmeurope.com>
> F:      lib/linear_ranges.c
> F:      lib/test_linear_ranges.c
> F:      include/linux/linear_range.h

> I think that regulators being the main user for linear_ranges the
> changes there should go in via your tree - and you should probably be
> watching over them anyways :)

Sure, that's fine.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [not urgent] ROHM PMIC/Charger IC driver maintenance.
@ 2020-05-18 11:42   ` Vaittinen, Matti
From: Vaittinen, Matti @ 2020-05-18 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lee.jones
  Cc: linux, wim, mazziesaccount, broonie, linus.walleij, linux-kernel,
	sboyd, sre, alexandre.belloni, lgirdwood, mturquette, a.zummo,
	bgolaszewski, robh+dt

Hello Lee,

On Mon, 2020-05-18 at 11:41 +0100, Lee Jones wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2020, Vaittinen, Matti wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > In short - I consider adding myself in MAINTAINERs for the ROHM IC
> > drivers I've authored. I would like to get your opinion as
> > subsystem
> > maintainers on the area where these driver belong. If you don't
> > care -
> > then no need to read further :) If you do read, then I would
> > appreciate
> > hearing about your expectations regarding reviews, ACKs etc.
>
> It's fine to add yourself to MAINTAINERS for this purpose.
>
> Either as M (mail-to) or R (designated reviewer) is fine.

Thanks! Appreciate your help. So, if I understand this correctly the
difference between M and R is that M implies the patches go to upstream
via person listed in M. So in my case - as I hope patches to these
drivers are still going to your tree - the R would be more appropriate,
right? M sounds nice though - it's a good letter (says someone whose
name is Matti ;] )

Br,
	Matti Vaittinen

* Re: [not urgent] ROHM PMIC/Charger IC driver maintenance.
@ 2020-05-18 11:54   ` Vaittinen, Matti
From: Vaittinen, Matti @ 2020-05-18 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sre
  Cc: mturquette, linux, wim, mazziesaccount, broonie, linus.walleij,
	linux-kernel, sboyd, a.zummo, alexandre.belloni, lee.jones,
	lgirdwood, robh+dt, bgolaszewski

Hello Sebastian,

On Mon, 2020-05-18 at 13:00 +0200, Sebastian Reichel wrote:
> [...]
> TI BQ27XXX POWER SUPPLY DRIVER
> R:      Andrew F. Davis <afd@ti.com>
> F:      drivers/power/supply/bq27xxx_battery.c
> F:      drivers/power/supply/bq27xxx_battery_i2c.c
> F:      include/linux/power/bq27xxx_battery.h
>
> It will result in get_maintainer.pl to output this:
>
> $ ./scripts/get_maintainer.pl -f
> drivers/power/supply/bq27xxx_battery.c
> "Andrew F. Davis" <afd@ti.com> (reviewer:TI BQ27XXX POWER SUPPLY
> DRIVER)
> "Pali Rohár" <pali@kernel.org> (reviewer:NOKIA N900 POWER SUPPLY
> DRIVERS)
> Sebastian Reichel <sre@kernel.org> (maintainer:POWER SUPPLY
> CLASS/SUBSYSTEM and DRIVERS)
> linux-pm@vger.kernel.org (open list:POWER SUPPLY CLASS/SUBSYSTEM and
> DRIVERS)
> linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org (open list)
>
> For drivers with a dedicated reviewer I wait some time for their

Thanks for your kind response :) I do appreciate your help!

> For the DT YAML bindings you don't need to do anything:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/e85006456d9dbae55286c67ac5263668a72f5b58.1588022228.git.joe@perches.com/

Oh, this makes file-list much shorter :) Thanks for pointing it out! It
leaves me to just list the two old bd70528 binding txt documents until
they'll be yamlified.

Best regards:
	Matti