* Ftrace plugin for Babeltrace2
@ 2020-06-01 16:45 Philippe Duplessis-Guindon
From: Philippe Duplessis-Guindon @ 2020-06-01 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-trace-devel

Hi everyone,

My name is Philippe and I am an intern at EfficiOs for the summer. This email is

to inform you about my summer project, ask for recommendations and your opinion.

My project will consist of implementing a Babeltrace2 [1] plugin to be able to consume

ftrace traces. The plugin will act as a source component in the babeltrace2 graph system.

I was wondering if you can give me your first thoughts about this project, and

any advice on where to find information to begin with, since I am new to ftrace.

I have already read the doc [2][3][4], but I was wondering if there are more resources

that could help me with my work.

Also, I was wondering which version of libtraceevent I should use. The one in the kernel,

or the one in the trace-cmd repo? My guess would be to take the one in trace-cmd since

there are more recent commits, but I am asking just to make sure.

The major focus of the project will be to match ftrace concepts to babeltrace 2

internal representation.

[1] https://babeltrace.org/

[2] https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/tools/lib/traceevent/Documentation

[3] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git/tree/Documentation

[4] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/trace/ftrace.txt

Thank you,

Philippe

* Re: Ftrace plugin for Babeltrace2
@ 2020-06-01 18:36 ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2020-06-01 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Duplessis-Guindon; +Cc: linux-trace-devel

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 12:45:10 -0400 (EDT)
Philippe Duplessis-Guindon <pduplessis@efficios.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>

> My name is Philippe and I am an intern at EfficiOs for the summer. This email is

Hi Philippe!

I believe we met before. Correct me if I'm wrong.

> to inform you about my summer project, ask for recommendations and your opinion.
>

> My project will consist of implementing a Babeltrace2 [1] plugin to be able to consume
>
> ftrace traces. The plugin will act as a source component in the babeltrace2 graph system.

This is awesome!

> I was wondering if you can give me your first thoughts about this project, and
>
> any advice on where to find information to begin with, since I am new to ftrace.
>
> I have already read the doc [2][3][4], but I was wondering if there are more resources
>
> that could help me with my work.
>

> Also, I was wondering which version of libtraceevent I should use. The one in the kernel,
>
> or the one in the trace-cmd repo? My guess would be to take the one in trace-cmd since
>
> there are more recent commits, but I am asking just to make sure.

Well it shouldn't matter, as I try to keep the two insync, but because
of the current environment (COVID-19 and all), I've been falling behind.

There's talk in moving it out of both the kernel and trace-cmd and make
libtraceevent a stand alone library. But that will take some
coordination.

> The major focus of the project will be to match ftrace concepts to babeltrace 2
>
> internal representation.
>

> [1] https://babeltrace.org/
>
> [2] https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/tools/lib/traceevent/Documentation
>
> [3] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git/tree/Documentation
>
> [4] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/trace/ftrace.txt

Ideally, we would like to get KernelShark to use babeltrace as well, to
increase what it can read.

Thanks for reaching out. If there's anything else you need, please feel
free to ask.

-- Steve

* Re: Ftrace plugin for Babeltrace2
@ 2020-06-01 19:44   ` Philippe Duplessis-Guindon
From: Philippe Duplessis-Guindon @ 2020-06-01 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt; +Cc: linux-trace-devel

>> My name is Philippe and I am an intern at EfficiOs for the summer. This email is

> Hi Philippe!

> I believe we met before. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You must be mistaking me with the other Philippe at EfficiOs. I am an intern who started last month!

>> to inform you about my summer project, ask for recommendations and your opinion.
>>

>> My project will consist of implementing a Babeltrace2 [1] plugin to be able to consume
>>
>> ftrace traces. The plugin will act as a source component in the babeltrace2 graph system.

> This is awesome!

>> I was wondering if you can give me your first thoughts about this project, and
>>
>> any advice on where to find information to begin with, since I am new to ftrace.
>>
>> I have already read the doc [2][3][4], but I was wondering if there are more resources
>>
>> that could help me with my work.
>>

>> Also, I was wondering which version of libtraceevent I should use. The one in the kernel,
>>
>> or the one in the trace-cmd repo? My guess would be to take the one in trace-cmd since
>>
>> there are more recent commits, but I am asking just to make sure.

> Well it shouldn't matter, as I try to keep the two insync, but because
> of the current environment (COVID-19 and all), I've been falling behind.

Perfect!

> There's talk in moving it out of both the kernel and trace-cmd and make
> libtraceevent a stand alone library. But that will take some
> coordination.

That would be great!

>> The major focus of the project will be to match ftrace concepts to babeltrace 2
>>
>> internal representation.
>>

>> [1] https://babeltrace.org/
>>
>> [2] https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/tools/lib/traceevent/Documentation
>>
>> [3] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git/tree/Documentation
>>
>> [4] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/trace/ftrace.txt
>>

> Ideally, we would like to get KernelShark to use babeltrace as well, to
> increase what it can read.

Sounds good, I'll have this in mind while implementing my plugin.

> Thanks for reaching out. If there's anything else you need, please feel
> free to ask.

Thank you,
Philippe