* "Initial commit" with entire git history - possible?
@ 2020-06-19  9:10 Adrian Ambrożewicz
From: Adrian Ambrożewicz @ 2020-06-19  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Hello,

We're developing solution which will soon end as new openbmc-hosted
repository.

It would be nice to keep previous commit history intact when moving to
upstream. Is it possible with our gerrit-based integration?

Regards,
Adrian

* Re: "Initial commit" with entire git history - possible?
@ 2020-06-19 22:16 ` James Feist
From: James Feist @ 2020-06-19 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Ambrożewicz, openbmc

On 6/19/2020 2:10 AM, Adrian Ambrożewicz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're developing solution which will soon end as new openbmc-hosted
> repository.
>
> It would be nice to keep previous commit history intact when moving to
> upstream. Is it possible with our gerrit-based integration?

Maintainers should have push access to move code over, although it'd be
nice if code could be developed and reviewed in the open if possible.

@ 2020-07-01 11:08   ` Adrian Ambrożewicz
From: Adrian Ambrożewicz @ 2020-07-01 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop; +Cc: openbmc, James Feist

Brad,

How (as a maintainer) I could 'move' code from our internal repository
to github/openbmc hosted one? Is it specified somewhere?

Currently I've pushed whole code to gerrit as usual review to gather
feedback, but after that I would still want to pursue path of pushing
entire git history + review changes on top  of that.

Regards,
Adrian

@ 2020-07-01 12:15     ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2020-07-01 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Ambrożewicz; +Cc: openbmc, James Feist

On Wed, Jul 01, 2020 at 01:08:20PM +0200, Adrian Ambrożewicz wrote:
> Brad,
>
> How (as a maintainer) I could 'move' code from our internal repository
> to github/openbmc hosted one? Is it specified somewhere?

git push <remote> HEAD:master

The gerrit remote is something like:
ssh://<user>@gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz:2918/openbmc/telemetry

and the github remote is:
ssh://git@github.com/openbmc/telemetry

You'll need to have configured both github and gerrit to accept whatever
ssh keys you present.

> Currently I've pushed whole code to gerrit as usual review to gather
> feedback, but after that I would still want to pursue path of pushing
> entire git history + review changes on top  of that.

I'm glad to see you are willing to entertain feedback but I'd be
suprised if Intel let you spend time on making any meaningful changes
(e.g. ones that cause significant rework and time investment on your
part) at this point.  This is why code should be developed and reviewed
in the open in the first place if you actually want others to use it.

* Re: "Initial commit" with entire git history - possible?
@ 2020-07-06  6:51       ` Adrian Ambrożewicz
From: Adrian Ambrożewicz @ 2020-07-06  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop; +Cc: openbmc, James Feist

W dniu 7/1/2020 o 14:15, Brad Bishop pisze:
> On Wed, Jul 01, 2020 at 01:08:20PM +0200, Adrian Ambrożewicz wrote:
>> Brad,
>>
>> How (as a maintainer) I could 'move' code from our internal repository
>> to github/openbmc hosted one? Is it specified somewhere?
>
> git push <remote> HEAD:master
>
> The gerrit remote is something like:
> ssh://<user>@gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz:2918/openbmc/telemetry
>
> and the github remote is:
> ssh://git@github.com/openbmc/telemetry
>
> You'll need to have configured both github and gerrit to accept whatever
> ssh keys you present.
Thanks, will try this, it was much simpler than I anticipated - sorry!

>> Currently I've pushed whole code to gerrit as usual review to gather
>> feedback, but after that I would still want to pursue path of pushing
>> entire git history + review changes on top  of that.
>
> I'm glad to see you are willing to entertain feedback but I'd be
> suprised if Intel let you spend time on making any meaningful changes
> (e.g. ones that cause significant rework and time investment on your
> part) at this point.  This is why code should be developed and reviewed
> in the open in the first place if you actually want others to use it.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm aware of inconvenience with big-bang
approach for code publication. I hope feedback like that will advocate
for higher priority on legal issues next time. As for bigger changes I
wouldn't be so pessimistic - we have allocated time for bugfixes and
further development in following months.

@ 2020-07-08 12:14         ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2020-07-08 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Ambrożewicz; +Cc: openbmc, James Feist

On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 08:51:23AM +0200, Adrian Ambrożewicz wrote:
>Thanks, will try this, it was much simpler than I anticipated - sorry!

No problemo!

>As for bigger changes I wouldn't be so pessimistic - we have allocated
>time for bugfixes and further development in following months.

Awesome!  I am happy to be proven wrong.

-brad