* linux-next: new build warnings after binutils update
@ 2020-08-11  4:31 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2020-08-11  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Gleixner, Ingo Molnar, H. Peter Anvin, Peter Zijlstra

Hi all,

After upgading some software, builds of Linus' tree now produce these warnings:

x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: arch/x86/boot/compressed/head_64.o: warning: relocation in read-only section `.head.text'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: creating DT_TEXTREL in a PIE

I upgraded binutils from 2.34-8 to 2.35-1 (Debian versions).

$ x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc --version
x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc (Debian 9.3.0-13) 9.3.0

Any ideas?

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: linux-next: new build warnings after binutils update
@ 2020-08-14  7:05 ` Ard Biesheuvel
From: Ard Biesheuvel @ 2020-08-14  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell, Arvind Sankar, Kees Cook
  Cc: Thomas Gleixner, Ingo Molnar, H. Peter Anvin, Peter Zijlstra,
	Linux Next Mailing List, Linux Kernel Mailing List

(+ Arvind, Kees)

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 at 22:58, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After upgading some software, builds of Linus' tree now produce these warnings:
>
> x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: arch/x86/boot/compressed/head_64.o: warning: relocation in read-only section `.head.text'
> x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: creating DT_TEXTREL in a PIE
>
> I upgraded binutils from 2.34-8 to 2.35-1 (Debian versions).
>
> $ x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc --version
> x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc (Debian 9.3.0-13) 9.3.0
>
> Any ideas?

Arvind and I have some patches on the list that fix various relocation
issues in the decompressor binary.

As far as I can tell, Arvind's patch to suppress runtime relocations
[0] addresses this exact issue.

Unfortunately, in spite of various pings and attempts to get the x86
maintainers to notice this series, it has been ignored so far. Perhaps
this is a good time to merge it for -rc1/2?

[0] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200731202738.2577854-6-nivedita@alum.mit.edu/

* Re: linux-next: new build warnings after binutils update
@ 2020-08-14 10:22   ` Ingo Molnar
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2020-08-14 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ard Biesheuvel
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Arvind Sankar, Kees Cook, Thomas Gleixner,
	Ingo Molnar, H. Peter Anvin, Peter Zijlstra,

* Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@kernel.org> wrote:

> (+ Arvind, Kees)
>
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 at 22:58, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After upgading some software, builds of Linus' tree now produce these warnings:
> >
> > x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: arch/x86/boot/compressed/head_64.o: warning: relocation in read-only section `.head.text'
> > x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: creating DT_TEXTREL in a PIE
> >
> > I upgraded binutils from 2.34-8 to 2.35-1 (Debian versions).
> >
> > $ x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc --version
> > x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc (Debian 9.3.0-13) 9.3.0
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >

> Arvind and I have some patches on the list that fix various relocation
> issues in the decompressor binary.
>
> As far as I can tell, Arvind's patch to suppress runtime relocations
> [0] addresses this exact issue.
>
> Unfortunately, in spite of various pings and attempts to get the x86
> maintainers to notice this series, it has been ignored so far. Perhaps
> this is a good time to merge it for -rc1/2?
>
> [0] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200731202738.2577854-6-nivedita@alum.mit.edu/

It all looked good to me but was a bit late for v5.9, will pick up
after -rc1.

Thanks,

	Ingo

* Re: linux-next: new build warnings after binutils update
@ 2020-08-14 10:24     ` Ard Biesheuvel
From: Ard Biesheuvel @ 2020-08-14 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Arvind Sankar, Kees Cook, Thomas Gleixner,

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 at 12:22, Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org> wrote:

> * Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@kernel.org> wrote:
>
> > (+ Arvind, Kees)
> >
> > On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 at 22:58, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > After upgading some software, builds of Linus' tree now produce these warnings:
> > >
> > > x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: arch/x86/boot/compressed/head_64.o: warning: relocation in read-only section `.head.text'
> > > x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: creating DT_TEXTREL in a PIE
> > >
> > > I upgraded binutils from 2.34-8 to 2.35-1 (Debian versions).
> > >
> > > $ x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc --version
> > > x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc (Debian 9.3.0-13) 9.3.0
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >

> > Arvind and I have some patches on the list that fix various relocation
> > issues in the decompressor binary.
> >
> > As far as I can tell, Arvind's patch to suppress runtime relocations
> > [0] addresses this exact issue.
> >
> > Unfortunately, in spite of various pings and attempts to get the x86
> > maintainers to notice this series, it has been ignored so far. Perhaps
> > this is a good time to merge it for -rc1/2?
> >
> > [0] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200731202738.2577854-6-nivedita@alum.mit.edu/
>
> It all looked good to me but was a bit late for v5.9, will pick up
> after -rc1.

Thanks Ingo.

* Re: linux-next: new build warnings after binutils update
@ 2020-08-14 14:03     ` Sedat Dilek
From: Sedat Dilek @ 2020-08-14 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar
  Cc: Ard Biesheuvel, Stephen Rothwell, Arvind Sankar, Kees Cook,
	Thomas Gleixner, Ingo Molnar, H. Peter Anvin, Peter Zijlstra,

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 12:22 PM Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org> wrote:

> * Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@kernel.org> wrote:
>
> > (+ Arvind, Kees)
> >
> > On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 at 22:58, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > After upgading some software, builds of Linus' tree now produce these warnings:
> > >
> > > x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: arch/x86/boot/compressed/head_64.o: warning: relocation in read-only section `.head.text'
> > > x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: warning: creating DT_TEXTREL in a PIE
> > >
> > > I upgraded binutils from 2.34-8 to 2.35-1 (Debian versions).
> > >
> > > $ x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc --version
> > > x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc (Debian 9.3.0-13) 9.3.0
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >

> > Arvind and I have some patches on the list that fix various relocation
> > issues in the decompressor binary.
> >
> > As far as I can tell, Arvind's patch to suppress runtime relocations
> > [0] addresses this exact issue.
> >
> > Unfortunately, in spite of various pings and attempts to get the x86
> > maintainers to notice this series, it has been ignored so far. Perhaps
> > this is a good time to merge it for -rc1/2?
> >
> > [0] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200731202738.2577854-6-nivedita@alum.mit.edu/
>
> It all looked good to me but was a bit late for v5.9, will pick up
> after -rc1.
>
> Thanks,

Good news :-).

- Sedat -

* Re: linux-next: new build warnings after binutils update
@ 2020-08-14 19:33     ` Kees Cook
From: Kees Cook @ 2020-08-14 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar
  Cc: Ard Biesheuvel, Stephen Rothwell, Arvind Sankar, Thomas Gleixner,

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 12:22:06PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > [0] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200731202738.2577854-6-nivedita@alum.mit.edu/
>
> It all looked good to me but was a bit late for v5.9, will pick up
> after -rc1.

Excellent! Thank you. I'll base the orphan series on x86/boot now. Once
I send a v6 (there are a few more things to tweak), can you carry that
in -tip as well (it includes arm and arm64 as well, all of which depend
on several asm-generic patches). Or would you prefer I carry the tree
separately?

--
Kees Cook

* Re: linux-next: new build warnings after binutils update
@ 2020-08-15 18:14       ` Ingo Molnar
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2020-08-15 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kees Cook
  Cc: Ard Biesheuvel, Stephen Rothwell, Arvind Sankar, Thomas Gleixner,

* Kees Cook <keescook@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 12:22:06PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > [0] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200731202738.2577854-6-nivedita@alum.mit.edu/
> >
> > It all looked good to me but was a bit late for v5.9, will pick up
> > after -rc1.
>
> Excellent! Thank you. I'll base the orphan series on x86/boot now. Once
> I send a v6 (there are a few more things to tweak), can you carry that
> in -tip as well (it includes arm and arm64 as well, all of which depend
> on several asm-generic patches).

Sure, that looks the most sensible, since there's so much x86 impact.
Might migrate the commits over into a more generic topic branch -
started out with x86/boot to get things going.

Thanks,

	Ingo