* Complete disparition of BTRFS FS on bcache, kernel 5.8
@ 2020-08-21  9:58 Swâmi Petaramesh
From: Swâmi Petaramesh @ 2020-08-21  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache, BTRFS; +Cc: kent.overstreet, swami

Hello,

I have a Manjaro system on which the disks setup is as follows :

sda : mechanical HD

- sda1 -> LUKS encryption -> bcache backing dev bcache0 -> BTRFS FS -> /home

sdb : SSD

- sdb1 -> System EFI partition

- sdb2 -> LUKS encryption -> BTRFS FS -> / (system root FS)

- sdb3 -> LUKS encryption -> bcache cache dev bcache0 (for /home)

- sdb4 -> LUKS encryption -> SWAP

bcache working in writeback mode.

This setup had worked perfectly flawlessly for more than a year with
different kernel versions.

Then I upgraded to Manjaro kernel 5.8

I was immediately under the impression that the overall disks access
performance had much worsened.

Then, after I had worked on a couple VMs hosted on the bcache'd FS, I
tried to power the system down normally from the GUI menu.

At that time there was high disk activity going on and systemd waited
for more than 1'30" trying to unmount the FSes, to no avail. Looks like
everything didn't make it to disk before it eventually timed out.

Afterwards systemd killed the processes and powered down the system.

At next powerup, the bcache would activate as usual, but the BTRFS
filesystem on it was completely *GONE*. The “file” utility would
identify the device as “data” (not an FS), mount would complain that
this wasn't any recognizable FS anymore, and “btrfs-find-root” wouldn't
find anything.

AFAIK the FS is completely gone.

I've been using BTRFS over bcache over LUKS (on 2 machines) for years,
and it was usually very stable until today.

Both the HD and SSD looks healthy and their SMART do not record any
error, remapped sectors, or other issue.

So this was just to let you know... There might be some new kernel issue
in bcache or BTRFS or their relation to one another.

Best regards.

ॐ

--
Swâmi Petaramesh <swami@petaramesh.org> PGP 9076E32E

* Re: Complete disparition of BTRFS FS on bcache, kernel 5.8
@ 2020-08-21 13:13 ` Matthias Ferdinand
From: Matthias Ferdinand @ 2020-08-21 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swâmi Petaramesh; +Cc: linux-bcache, BTRFS, kent.overstreet

Sorry I probably can't bring you back the fs, I just have a possibly
relevant datapoint to share:

with recent Ubuntu 20.04 and a rather convoluted storage stack (i.e. LVM
volumes consumed not by fs directly but insted by e.g. luks and/or
bcache), on shutdown systemd service blk-availability.service would lead
to 1m30s of frantic disk activity without ever finishing.

I did not have much time to investigate (and I don't right now), but I
remember coming to the conclusion that blk-availability or the invoked
scripts do not honor the case where an LVM volume is consumed by
anything else than a plain filesystem, and so they loop endlessly until
finally being killed by systemd.

I haven't lost data AFAICT, but it's a nuisance, and I disable
blk-availability whenever I see it, and I don't even fully understand
what it intends to achieve.

It is possible that in your case the same type of frantic disk activity
kept some vital fs information from actually reaching the disk.

Regards
Matthias