* bpf_redirect and xdpgeneric
@ 2020-09-18  5:04 Thomas Ptacek
From: Thomas Ptacek @ 2020-09-18  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xdp-newbies

Weird question:

Should there be a reason for me to expect bpf_redirect to fail when
redirecting, in XDP, to the egress of an xdpgeneric device?

I'm redirecting from an XDP program on a tap device, out the igb eno1
to the Internet (and fixing MAC addresses). I can redirect to other
tap devices, but not to eno1.

I was going to try with bpf_redirect_map, but I'm having tooling
trouble there (I can't get iproute2 to load a BPF object file with a
pinned DEVMAP; it complains that the flags don't match). But for my
purposes, bpf_redirect would be fine.

(My testbed is 5.6, for whatever that's worth).

This mailing list is fantastic and you are all excellent. Thanks
whether or not anyone has any thoughts.

---
Thomas H. Ptacek

* Re: bpf_redirect and xdpgeneric
@ 2020-09-18 10:21 ` Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2020-09-18 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ThomasPtacek, xdp-newbies

Thomas Ptacek <thomasptacek@gmail.com> writes:

> Weird question:
>
> Should there be a reason for me to expect bpf_redirect to fail when
> redirecting, in XDP, to the egress of an xdpgeneric device?

What does 'the egress of an xdpgeneric device' mean, exactly? I.e.,
could you share some more details of your setup, please?

In general, mixing native and generic mode XDP is not likely to work
well...

-Toke

* Re: bpf_redirect and xdpgeneric
@ 2020-09-18 18:42   ` Thomas Ptacek
From: Thomas Ptacek @ 2020-09-18 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen; +Cc: xdp-newbies

The setup is pretty simple. There's an eno1 (igb driver), to which our
default route points. On the same box are several VMs. There's a tap
interface (for each VM, call it tapX). Traffic for a VM flows in from
the Internet on eno1 and is directed to tapX; the response traffic
flows in the other direction.

I'm deliberately simplifying here:

eno1 runs an XDP program that does some lightweight IP rewriting from
anycast addresses to internal VM addresses on ingress. eno1's XDP
program currently XDP_PASS's rewritten packets to the IP stack, where
they're routed to the VM's tap. This works fine.

tapX runs an XDP program that does the same rewriting in reverse.
Right now, it also XDP_PASS's packets to the stack, which also works
--- the stack routes response traffic out eno1.

I'm playing with XDP_REDIRECT'ing instead of XDP_PASS'ing.

I have the ifindexes and MAC addresses (and those of IP neighbors) in
a map --- a normal HASH map, not a DEVMAP. Using that map, I can
successfully redirect traffic from tapX to arbitrary other tap
interfaces. What I can't do is redirect packets from tapX to eno1,
which is what the system actually needs to do.

---
Thomas H. Ptacek

--
---
Thomas H. Ptacek

* Re: bpf_redirect and xdpgeneric
@ 2020-09-18 20:27     ` David Ahern
From: David Ahern @ 2020-09-18 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ThomasPtacek, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen; +Cc: xdp-newbies

On 9/18/20 12:42 PM, Thomas Ptacek wrote:
> The setup is pretty simple. There's an eno1 (igb driver), to which our
> default route points. On the same box are several VMs. There's a tap
> interface (for each VM, call it tapX). Traffic for a VM flows in from
> the Internet on eno1 and is directed to tapX; the response traffic
> flows in the other direction.
>
> I'm deliberately simplifying here:
>
> eno1 runs an XDP program that does some lightweight IP rewriting from
> anycast addresses to internal VM addresses on ingress. eno1's XDP
> program currently XDP_PASS's rewritten packets to the IP stack, where
> they're routed to the VM's tap. This works fine.
>
> tapX runs an XDP program that does the same rewriting in reverse.
> Right now, it also XDP_PASS's packets to the stack, which also works
> --- the stack routes response traffic out eno1.
>
> I'm playing with XDP_REDIRECT'ing instead of XDP_PASS'ing.
>
> I have the ifindexes and MAC addresses (and those of IP neighbors) in
> a map --- a normal HASH map, not a DEVMAP. Using that map, I can
> successfully redirect traffic from tapX to arbitrary other tap
> interfaces. What I can't do is redirect packets from tapX to eno1,
> which is what the system actually needs to do.

XDP_REDIRECT sends the packet to a devices ndo_xdp_xmit function. tap
implements it hence eno1 -> tap works; igb does not meaning tap -> eno1
fails.

xdpgeneric does not work in the Tx path.

* Re: bpf_redirect and xdpgeneric
@ 2020-09-18 20:34       ` Thomas Ptacek
From: Thomas Ptacek @ 2020-09-18 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Ahern; +Cc: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen, xdp-newbies

Perfect, thank you for the super-clear answer!

---
Thomas H. Ptacek

@ 2020-09-28 15:24         ` Jesper Dangaard Brouer
From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer @ 2020-09-28 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Ahern, Sven Auhagen, Jeff Kirsher, Jesse Brandeburg,
	intel-wired-lan
  Cc: brouer, ThomasPtacek, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen, xdp-newbies

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 14:27:45 -0600
David Ahern <dsahern@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/18/20 12:42 PM, Thomas Ptacek wrote:
> > The setup is pretty simple. There's an eno1 (igb driver), to which our
> > default route points. On the same box are several VMs. There's a tap
> > interface (for each VM, call it tapX). Traffic for a VM flows in from
> > the Internet on eno1 and is directed to tapX; the response traffic
> > flows in the other direction.
> >
> > I'm deliberately simplifying here:
> >
> > eno1 runs an XDP program that does some lightweight IP rewriting from
> > anycast addresses to internal VM addresses on ingress. eno1's XDP
> > program currently XDP_PASS's rewritten packets to the IP stack, where
> > they're routed to the VM's tap. This works fine.
> >
> > tapX runs an XDP program that does the same rewriting in reverse.
> > Right now, it also XDP_PASS's packets to the stack, which also works
> > --- the stack routes response traffic out eno1.
> >
> > I'm playing with XDP_REDIRECT'ing instead of XDP_PASS'ing.
> >
> > I have the ifindexes and MAC addresses (and those of IP neighbors) in
> > a map --- a normal HASH map, not a DEVMAP. Using that map, I can
> > successfully redirect traffic from tapX to arbitrary other tap
> > interfaces. What I can't do is redirect packets from tapX to eno1,
> > which is what the system actually needs to do.
> >

> XDP_REDIRECT sends the packet to a devices ndo_xdp_xmit function. tap
> implements it hence eno1 -> tap works; igb does not meaning tap -> eno1
> fails.

There is clearly a real-life use-case for adding native-XDP support for
igb driver.  Sven (cc) have implemented this (v6[1]), but something is
causing this patch to not move forward, what is stalling Intel maintainers?

To Thomas, you could try out the patch[2] and report back if it works
for you?  (I think it will help moving patch forward...)

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20200902054509.23jbv5fyj3otziq2@svensmacbookair.sven.lan/
[2] http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/patch/20200902054509.23jbv5fyj3otziq2@svensmacbookair.sven.lan/
--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer

* [Intel-wired-lan] bpf_redirect and xdpgeneric
@ 2020-09-28 15:24         ` Jesper Dangaard Brouer
From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer @ 2020-09-28 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20200902054509.23jbv5fyj3otziq2 at svensmacbookair.sven.lan/
[2] http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/patch/20200902054509.23jbv5fyj3otziq2 at svensmacbookair.sven.lan/
--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer

* Re: bpf_redirect and xdpgeneric
@ 2020-09-28 16:20           ` Sven Auhagen
From: Sven Auhagen @ 2020-09-28 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Dangaard Brouer
  Cc: David Ahern, Jeff Kirsher, Jesse Brandeburg, intel-wired-lan,
	ThomasPtacek, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen, xdp-newbies

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 05:24:49PM +0200, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 14:27:45 -0600
> David Ahern <dsahern@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 9/18/20 12:42 PM, Thomas Ptacek wrote:
> > > The setup is pretty simple. There's an eno1 (igb driver), to which our
> > > default route points. On the same box are several VMs. There's a tap
> > > interface (for each VM, call it tapX). Traffic for a VM flows in from
> > > the Internet on eno1 and is directed to tapX; the response traffic
> > > flows in the other direction.
> > >
> > > I'm deliberately simplifying here:
> > >
> > > eno1 runs an XDP program that does some lightweight IP rewriting from
> > > anycast addresses to internal VM addresses on ingress. eno1's XDP
> > > program currently XDP_PASS's rewritten packets to the IP stack, where
> > > they're routed to the VM's tap. This works fine.
> > >
> > > tapX runs an XDP program that does the same rewriting in reverse.
> > > Right now, it also XDP_PASS's packets to the stack, which also works
> > > --- the stack routes response traffic out eno1.
> > >
> > > I'm playing with XDP_REDIRECT'ing instead of XDP_PASS'ing.
> > >
> > > I have the ifindexes and MAC addresses (and those of IP neighbors) in
> > > a map --- a normal HASH map, not a DEVMAP. Using that map, I can
> > > successfully redirect traffic from tapX to arbitrary other tap
> > > interfaces. What I can't do is redirect packets from tapX to eno1,
> > > which is what the system actually needs to do.
> > >

> > XDP_REDIRECT sends the packet to a devices ndo_xdp_xmit function. tap
> > implements it hence eno1 -> tap works; igb does not meaning tap -> eno1
> > fails.
>
> There is clearly a real-life use-case for adding native-XDP support for
> igb driver.  Sven (cc) have implemented this (v6[1]), but something is
> causing this patch to not move forward, what is stalling Intel maintainers?

The holdup is from the Intel guys.
There is a v7 with the changes for Kernel 5.9 but it was only posted on
the Intel list:

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/intel-wired-lan/patch/20200902203222.185141-1-anthony.l.nguyen@intel.com/

They tested it last week so it should hopefully be merged in the next window.

> To Thomas, you could try out the patch[2] and report back if it works
> for you?  (I think it will help moving patch forward...)

I would be interested if it works for you as well.

Best
Sven

From: Sven Auhagen @ 2020-09-28 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/intel-wired-lan/patch/20200902203222.185141-1-anthony.l.nguyen at intel.com/

They tested it last week so it should hopefully be merged in the next window.

> To Thomas, you could try out the patch[2] and report back if it works
> for you?  (I think it will help moving patch forward...)

I would be interested if it works for you as well.

Best
Sven

> [1] https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flore.kernel.org%2Fnetdev%2F20200902054509.23jbv5fyj3otziq2%40svensmacbookair.sven.lan%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Csven.auhagen%40voleatech.de%7Ccbd762e5a024488f491b08d863c2b6cb%7Cb82a99f679814a7295344d35298f847b%7C0%7C0%7C637369035229290801&amp;sdata=Pv%2BTEQeY4lcPnIprg0n6K0nHOMMlMo2qlrcmxqWNuLY%3D&amp;reserved=0
> [2] https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpatchwork.ozlabs.org%2Fproject%2Fnetdev%2Fpatch%2F20200902054509.23jbv5fyj3otziq2%40svensmacbookair.sven.lan%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Csven.auhagen%40voleatech.de%7Ccbd762e5a024488f491b08d863c2b6cb%7Cb82a99f679814a7295344d35298f847b%7C0%7C0%7C637369035229290801&amp;sdata=CmlEramL%2FHGz745N6HP%2FWRzPwZs0ERh3kQ8%2Bj%2FIUztw%3D&amp;reserved=0
> --
> Best regards,
>   Jesper Dangaard Brouer
>   MSc.CS, Principal Kernel Engineer at Red Hat
>   LinkedIn: https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Fbrouer&amp;data=02%7C01%7Csven.auhagen%40voleatech.de%7Ccbd762e5a024488f491b08d863c2b6cb%7Cb82a99f679814a7295344d35298f847b%7C0%7C0%7C637369035229290801&amp;sdata=LJUt38GAkdXS2rW7WG%2BUS0d6eVxZfl3VJqyHvNsqLmY%3D&amp;reserved=0

* Re: [Intel-wired-lan] bpf_redirect and xdpgeneric
@ 2020-09-28 18:04             ` Nguyen, Anthony L
From: Nguyen, Anthony L @ 2020-09-28 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sven.auhagen, brouer
  Cc: toke, dsahern, xdp-newbies, intel-wired-lan, ThomasPtacek

On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 18:20 +0200, Sven Auhagen wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 05:24:49PM +0200, Jesper Dangaard Brouer
> wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 14:27:45 -0600
> > David Ahern <dsahern@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > XDP_REDIRECT sends the packet to a devices ndo_xdp_xmit function.
> > > tap
> > > implements it hence eno1 -> tap works; igb does not meaning tap
> > > -> eno1
> > > fails.
> >
> > There is clearly a real-life use-case for adding native-XDP support
> > for
> > igb driver.  Sven (cc) have implemented this (v6[1]), but something
> > is
> > causing this patch to not move forward, what is stalling Intel
> > maintainers?
>
> The holdup is from the Intel guys.
> There is a v7 with the changes for Kernel 5.9 but it was only posted
> on
> the Intel list:

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/intel-wired-lan/patch/20200902203222.185141-1-anthony.l.nguyen@intel.com/

> They tested it last week so it should hopefully be merged in the next
> window.

There were some email issues which prevented us from sending it out
sooner (after it was tested). The issue was resolved Friday, I just
sent the patch to netdev:

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/patch/20200928175908.318502-2-anthony.l.nguyen@intel.com/

Thanks,
Tony

From: Nguyen, Anthony L @ 2020-09-28 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan

On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 18:20 +0200, Sven Auhagen wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 05:24:49PM +0200, Jesper Dangaard Brouer
> wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 14:27:45 -0600
> > David Ahern <dsahern@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > XDP_REDIRECT sends the packet to a devices ndo_xdp_xmit function.
> > > tap
> > > implements it hence eno1 -> tap works; igb does not meaning tap
> > > -> eno1
> > > fails.
> >
> > There is clearly a real-life use-case for adding native-XDP support
> > for
> > igb driver.  Sven (cc) have implemented this (v6[1]), but something
> > is
> > causing this patch to not move forward, what is stalling Intel
> > maintainers?
>
> The holdup is from the Intel guys.
> There is a v7 with the changes for Kernel 5.9 but it was only posted
> on
> the Intel list:

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/intel-wired-lan/patch/20200902203222.185141-1-anthony.l.nguyen at intel.com/

> They tested it last week so it should hopefully be merged in the next
> window.

There were some email issues which prevented us from sending it out
sooner (after it was tested). The issue was resolved Friday, I just
sent the patch to netdev:

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/patch/20200928175908.318502-2-anthony.l.nguyen at intel.com/

Thanks,
Tony

@ 2020-09-28 18:14               ` Sven Auhagen
From: Sven Auhagen @ 2020-09-28 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nguyen, Anthony L
  Cc: brouer, toke, dsahern, xdp-newbies, intel-wired-lan, ThomasPtacek

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 06:04:14PM +0000, Nguyen, Anthony L wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 18:20 +0200, Sven Auhagen wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 05:24:49PM +0200, Jesper Dangaard Brouer
> > wrote:

> > > There is clearly a real-life use-case for adding native-XDP support
> > > for
> > > igb driver.  Sven (cc) have implemented this (v6[1]), but something
> > > is
> > > causing this patch to not move forward, what is stalling Intel
> > > maintainers?
> >
> > The holdup is from the Intel guys.
> > There is a v7 with the changes for Kernel 5.9 but it was only posted
> > on
> > the Intel list:
> >

> https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpatchwork.ozlabs.org%2Fproject%2Fintel-wired-lan%2Fpatch%2F20200902203222.185141-1-anthony.l.nguyen%40intel.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Csven.auhagen%40voleatech.de%7Ce8e80921128f4ac3edac08d863d8f03f%7Cb82a99f679814a7295344d35298f847b%7C0%7C0%7C637369130683150522&amp;sdata=d1BsVNZlbp7Kgh8bmzailbrR22Y61%2B6mb0VdKtK30yw%3D&amp;reserved=0
> >
> > They tested it last week so it should hopefully be merged in the next
> > window.
>
> There were some email issues which prevented us from sending it out
> sooner (after it was tested). The issue was resolved Friday, I just
> sent the patch to netdev:
>

> https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpatchwork.ozlabs.org%2Fproject%2Fnetdev%2Fpatch%2F20200928175908.318502-2-anthony.l.nguyen%40intel.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Csven.auhagen%40voleatech.de%7Ce8e80921128f4ac3edac08d863d8f03f%7Cb82a99f679814a7295344d35298f847b%7C0%7C0%7C637369130683160513&amp;sdata=4h1AykO8YnnPSvulMtqeKZnjJ5DFOV1ISnd3OrFCOow%3D&amp;reserved=0
>
> Thanks,
> Tony

Thank you Tony!

Best
Sven

From: Sven Auhagen @ 2020-09-28 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 06:04:14PM +0000, Nguyen, Anthony L wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 18:20 +0200, Sven Auhagen wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 05:24:49PM +0200, Jesper Dangaard Brouer
> > wrote:

> > > There is clearly a real-life use-case for adding native-XDP support
> > > for
> > > igb driver.  Sven (cc) have implemented this (v6[1]), but something
> > > is
> > > causing this patch to not move forward, what is stalling Intel
> > > maintainers?
> >
> > The holdup is from the Intel guys.
> > There is a v7 with the changes for Kernel 5.9 but it was only posted
> > on
> > the Intel list:
> >

> https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpatchwork.ozlabs.org%2Fproject%2Fintel-wired-lan%2Fpatch%2F20200902203222.185141-1-anthony.l.nguyen%40intel.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Csven.auhagen%40voleatech.de%7Ce8e80921128f4ac3edac08d863d8f03f%7Cb82a99f679814a7295344d35298f847b%7C0%7C0%7C637369130683150522&amp;sdata=d1BsVNZlbp7Kgh8bmzailbrR22Y61%2B6mb0VdKtK30yw%3D&amp;reserved=0
> >
> > They tested it last week so it should hopefully be merged in the next
> > window.
>
> There were some email issues which prevented us from sending it out
> sooner (after it was tested). The issue was resolved Friday, I just
> sent the patch to netdev:
>

> https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpatchwork.ozlabs.org%2Fproject%2Fnetdev%2Fpatch%2F20200928175908.318502-2-anthony.l.nguyen%40intel.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Csven.auhagen%40voleatech.de%7Ce8e80921128f4ac3edac08d863d8f03f%7Cb82a99f679814a7295344d35298f847b%7C0%7C0%7C637369130683160513&amp;sdata=4h1AykO8YnnPSvulMtqeKZnjJ5DFOV1ISnd3OrFCOow%3D&amp;reserved=0
>
> Thanks,
> Tony

Thank you Tony!

Best