* [Buildroot] Enable gcc ADA support on latest LTS Buildroot
@ 2020-11-03  7:53 Matteo Pampolini
From: Matteo Pampolini @ 2020-11-03  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello everybody,

I hope this is the right way to ask for such support.

I would like to enable ADA language to gcc together with the needed target
libraries, I'm using the latest LTS version of Buildroot. I saw an email
with a patch some years ago but it seems it was never put into the
Buildroot mainline. I tried just setting --enable-languages=ada in gcc
options but it fails, both gcc 8.x and 9.x.

May you please help me? Why is there no such configuration option just like
Fortran or D?

Many thanks for a kind answer,

Matteo
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Enable gcc ADA support on latest LTS Buildroot
@ 2020-11-03 10:35 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2020-11-03 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Matteo,

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 08:53:48 +0100
Matteo Pampolini <matteo.pampolini@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to enable ADA language to gcc together with the needed target
> libraries, I'm using the latest LTS version of Buildroot. I saw an email
> with a patch some years ago but it seems it was never put into the
> Buildroot mainline. I tried just setting --enable-languages=ada in gcc
> options but it fails, both gcc 8.x and 9.x.

Could you give details about the failures you're seeing ?

> May you please help me? Why is there no such configuration option just like
> Fortran or D?

Because nobody really pushed for that, but if you do so, we will be
happy to include support for building gcc with Ada support. It
certainly makes sense to have that in Buildroot.

Thanks!

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] Enable gcc ADA support on latest LTS Buildroot
@ 2020-11-03 17:07   ` Matteo Pampolini
From: Matteo Pampolini @ 2020-11-03 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Thomas,

many thanks for your quick answer, please find attached 2 logs obtained
with Buildroot 2020.02.6 setting gcc options to --enable-languages="ada",
one refers to gcc 8.x and the other one to gcc 9.x, they both fail. Build
system is Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS with GNAT installed.

Regards,

Matteo

@ 2020-11-06 14:07     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2020-11-06 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 18:07:52 +0100
Matteo Pampolini <matteo.pampolini@gmail.com> wrote:

> many thanks for your quick answer, please find attached 2 logs obtained
> with Buildroot 2020.02.6 setting gcc options to --enable-languages="ada",
> one refers to gcc 8.x and the other one to gcc 9.x, they both fail. Build
> system is Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS with GNAT installed.

Since I'm not familiar with ADA support in general, I don't really much
to say about the errors you're facing, it would require more
investigation.

Are you sure the GNAT version you have installed matches / is suitable
for building those versions of gcc ? I guess you've done some Google
search and/or asked gcc folks about those issues ?

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2020-11-06 17:13       ` Matteo Pampolini
From: Matteo Pampolini @ 2020-11-06 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Thomas,

many thanks for your feedback, well actually I just installed the packages
provided for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, I never had any issues
with Buildroot packages on it, but following your suggestion I will
investigate more and let you know.

Have a nice weekend,

Matteo

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 3:07 PM Thomas Petazzoni <