* set_page_dirty vs truncate
@ 2020-12-18 16:05 Matthew Wilcox
From: Matthew Wilcox @ 2020-12-18 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fsdevel

A number of implementations of ->set_page_dirty check whether the page
has been truncated (ie page->mapping has become NULL since entering
set_page_dirty()).  Several other implementations assume that they can do
page->mapping->host to get to the inode.  So either some implementations
are doing unnecessary checks or others are vulnerable to a NULL pointer
dereference if truncate() races with set_page_dirty().

I'm touching ->set_page_dirty() anyway as part of the page folio
conversion.  I'm thinking about passing in the mapping so there's no
need to look at page->mapping.

The comments on set_page_dirty() and set_page_dirty_lock() suggests
there's no consistency in whether truncation is blocked or not; we're
only guaranteed that the inode itself won't go away.  But maybe the
comments are stale.

There're also some filesystems which always return false from
set_page_dirty() and others which check for PageSwapCache, which surely
can't happen.  I'm also confused by the ones which set PageUptodate.
And several should just use __set_page_dirty_no_writeback().