* vhost/virtio fabric
@ 2021-02-09  4:24 Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2021-02-09  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nvme

Hi!

I'm looking at using NVMe protocol in a KVM virtualization context
along the lines of:
    https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/qemu-devel/patch/1516003315-17878-2-git-send-email-changpeng.liu@intel.com/
but with an eye towards using NVMe-OF so that I can terminate
in the kernel target itself, as opposed to a userland process.

Effectively, I'm looking for vhost/virtio fabric similar to:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/drivers/vhost/scsi.c?h=v5.10.14

This search made me come across an old set of slides from
Christoph Hellwig that did, indeed, mention that at some point
vhost/virtio fabric was considered.

Please let me know if there's any work that has ever been done
in the direction (even if in a form of unmerged patches) or whether
if I need this functionality I'd have to implement it from scratch (probably
aping a great deal of drivers/vhost/scsi.c).

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: vhost/virtio fabric
@ 2021-02-09  4:41 ` Chaitanya Kulkarni
From: Chaitanya Kulkarni @ 2021-02-09  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Shaposhnik, linux-nvme

Roman,

On 2/8/21 20:29, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> This search made me come across an old set of slides from
> Christoph Hellwig that did, indeed, mention that at some point
> vhost/virtio fabric was considered.
>
> Please let me know if there's any work that has ever been done
> in the direction (even if in a form of unmerged patches) or whether
> if I need this functionality I'd have to implement it from scratch (probably
> aping a great deal of drivers/vhost/scsi.c).

At some point of time I've looked into this because that the next logical
step in the ecosystem development, but I'm not sure if this will be
acceptable
or not or do we need to have change the spec. If there is a strong use
case I'd
like to definitely work on or contribute towards the development of this
feature.

I'm interested in knowing what everyone think about this one ...

* Re: vhost/virtio fabric
@ 2021-02-11 18:14 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2021-02-11 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Shaposhnik; +Cc: linux-nvme

On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 08:24:40PM -0800, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> Please let me know if there's any work that has ever been done
> in the direction (even if in a form of unmerged patches) or whether
> if I need this functionality I'd have to implement it from scratch (probably
> aping a great deal of drivers/vhost/scsi.c).

The old vhost-nvme patches from Ming and Hannes should be out on the
list.  From the kernel POV we're fine with it, but the Qemu people did
not like it very much.

* Re: vhost/virtio fabric
@ 2021-02-19 16:41   ` Hannes Reinecke
From: Hannes Reinecke @ 2021-02-19 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nvme

On 2/9/21 5:41 AM, Chaitanya Kulkarni wrote:
> Roman,
>
> On 2/8/21 20:29, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
>> This search made me come across an old set of slides from
>> Christoph Hellwig that did, indeed, mention that at some point
>> vhost/virtio fabric was considered.
>>
>> Please let me know if there's any work that has ever been done
>> in the direction (even if in a form of unmerged patches) or whether
>> if I need this functionality I'd have to implement it from scratch (probably
>> aping a great deal of drivers/vhost/scsi.c).
>
> At some point of time I've looked into this because that the next logical
> step in the ecosystem development, but I'm not sure if this will be
> acceptable or not or do we need to have change the spec. If there is a strong
> use case I'd like to definitely work on or contribute towards the development
> of this feature.
>
> I'm interested in knowing what everyone think about this one ...

Well, I had been looking into it for some time, too.
But turns out to be quite challenging conceptual.

Modifying / leveraging virtio for NVMe transport should be trivially,
but then you'd need to put the virtio device on some emulated hardware,
which typically (on ix86) is a PCI device.
So it would be a PCI device with virtio queues which transport NVMe
CQEs/SQEs, begging the question why we need to have it as we _could_ use
an emulated NVMe PCI device to start with.

But then _that_ would need to support PRPs, and you can't send discovery
and/or connect commands across that.

So there might be a value in having a virtio transport, just so that you
can use the fabrics commands.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                Kernel Storage Architect
hare@suse.de                              +49 911 74053 688