* [RFC] GSoC'21 IIO project: Mugil
@ 2021-03-26  9:50 Mugil Raj
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mugil Raj @ 2021-03-26  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-iio, dragos.bogdan

Hello All,

[Dragos here you have a quick intro about me if you want,
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-iio/CAOgtOjMwnwsiXd8rPeGBBTVkZUeabQ5nLtPts2RQDDMc-TDgKA@mail.gmail.com/]

For GSoC'21 IIO project I would like to choose  AD4695/AD4696 device
for implementing the driver.
I referred Analog Device, Inc.'s page that lists all drivers and
their kernel tree, but there is no existence of any compatible drivers
for this component.

About AD4695:
- 16-Channel, 16-bit 500 kSPS SAR ADC
- "Recommended for New Designs" phase
- SPI digital output
- Datasheet in [1]
- Product overview in [2]

Is there any other factor I should consider before choosing a component
to make a driver for? Do I go ahead with AD4695  in my
proposal? If yes, are there any recommendations/suggestions you'd like
to provide for a beginner indulging in making a kernel driver for such a
component?

Thanks,
Mugil

[1] https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ad4695_4696.pdf
[2] https://www.analog.com/en/products/ad4695.html#product-overview

* Re: [RFC] GSoC'21 IIO project: Mugil
@ 2021-03-26 11:07 ` Andy Shevchenko
From: Andy Shevchenko @ 2021-03-26 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mugil Raj; +Cc: linux-iio, Bogdan, Dragos

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 11:53 AM Mugil Raj <dmugil2000@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> [Dragos here you have a quick intro about me if you want,
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-iio/CAOgtOjMwnwsiXd8rPeGBBTVkZUeabQ5nLtPts2RQDDMc-TDgKA@mail.gmail.com/]
>
> For GSoC'21 IIO project I would like to choose  AD4695/AD4696 device
> for implementing the driver.
> I referred Analog Device, Inc.'s page that lists all drivers and
> their kernel tree, but there is no existence of any compatible drivers
> for this component.
>
> About AD4695:
> - 16-Channel, 16-bit 500 kSPS SAR ADC
> - "Recommended for New Designs" phase
> - SPI digital output
> - Datasheet in [1]
> - Product overview in [2]
>
> Is there any other factor I should consider before choosing a component
> to make a driver for?

I would consider the "popularity" of the component, e.g. how many
questions on SO or similar forums about the component, how many
(broken, ugly, etc) drivers are floating around.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko

* Re: [RFC] GSoC'21 IIO project: Mugil
@ 2021-03-26 11:21 ` Jonathan Cameron
From: Jonathan Cameron @ 2021-03-26 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mugil Raj; +Cc: linux-iio, dragos.bogdan

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 15:20:52 +0530
Mugil Raj <dmugil2000@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> [Dragos here you have a quick intro about me if you want,
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-iio/CAOgtOjMwnwsiXd8rPeGBBTVkZUeabQ5nLtPts2RQDDMc-TDgKA@mail.gmail.com/]
>
> For GSoC'21 IIO project I would like to choose  AD4695/AD4696 device
> for implementing the driver.
> I referred Analog Device, Inc.'s page that lists all drivers and
> their kernel tree, but there is no existence of any compatible drivers
> for this component.
>
> About AD4695:
> - 16-Channel, 16-bit 500 kSPS SAR ADC
> - "Recommended for New Designs" phase
> - SPI digital output
> - Datasheet in [1]
> - Product overview in [2]
>
> Is there any other factor I should consider before choosing a component
> to make a driver for? Do I go ahead with AD4695  in my
> proposal?

Obviously Dragos and others may have other opinions / knowledge of this part, but
form a quick look at the datasheet it seems like a good balance of complexity
vs simplicity of device.  Easy to start with basic operation then work
towards enabling some of the fancy features later :)

> If yes, are there any recommendations/suggestions you'd like
> to provide for a beginner indulging in making a kernel driver for such a
> component?

See if you can find another driver that looks fairly similar. Whist there
check other ADI drivers to make sure it's not so similar that you should
just add the part to some other driver.

Make sure you understand how SPI works in general + how the kernel
subsystem works.  Make a plan for which features you will implement in
each stage.  Whilst I'm more than happy to receive really quite complex
drivers in one go, for someone starting out it is much better to do
it step by step.  Obviously review etc takes time, so you can be well
into step 2 whilst step 1 is under reviews, but that's better than discovering
there was a problem in step 1 when you are on step 10!

Also once you get started, get very familiar with git and how to use
it to keep coherent patch sets at all times. That means getting familiar
with interactive rebasing, editing the history etc + if you like
them the various somewhat visual tools (I'm a great fan if tig but that
might be because a lot of the time my only connection to dev machines
is via an ssh terminal ;).
Those tricks make it a lot easier to update earlier parts of your work and
just have the newer stuff carry on working.  It's a vital part of working in the
mainline kernel as reviews / discussions can be 'slow'. I for one mostly
catch up with outstanding review at weekends as I never find a long enough
quiet period during the week (too many meeting :(

Good luck and keep asking questions if you get stuck.

Jonathan

@ 2021-03-27 10:27   ` Mugilraj D
From: Mugilraj D @ 2021-03-27 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Shevchenko; +Cc: linux-iio, Bogdan, Dragos

On 26/03/21 4:37 pm, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 11:53 AM Mugil Raj <dmugil2000@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> [Dragos here you have a quick intro about me if you want,
>> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-iio/CAOgtOjMwnwsiXd8rPeGBBTVkZUeabQ5nLtPts2RQDDMc-TDgKA@mail.gmail.com/]
>>
>> For GSoC'21 IIO project I would like to choose  AD4695/AD4696 device
>> for implementing the driver.
>> I referred Analog Device, Inc.'s page that lists all drivers and
>> their kernel tree, but there is no existence of any compatible drivers
>> for this component.
>>
>> About AD4695:
>> - 16-Channel, 16-bit 500 kSPS SAR ADC
>> - "Recommended for New Designs" phase
>> - SPI digital output
>> - Datasheet in [1]
>> - Product overview in [2]
>>
>> Is there any other factor I should consider before choosing a component
>> to make a driver for?
>
> I would consider the "popularity" of the component, e.g. how many
> questions on SO or similar forums about the component, how many
> (broken, ugly, etc) drivers are floating around.

I searched about it but unable to find any device. If you
have any such device please suggest me.

@ 2021-03-28 17:42 ` Mugilraj D
From: Mugilraj D @ 2021-03-28 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-iio, dragos.bogdan

On 26/03/21 3:20 pm, Mugil Raj wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> [Dragos here you have a quick intro about me if you want,
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-iio/CAOgtOjMwnwsiXd8rPeGBBTVkZUeabQ5nLtPts2RQDDMc-TDgKA@mail.gmail.com/]
>
> For GSoC'21 IIO project I would like to choose  AD4695/AD4696 device
> for implementing the driver.
> I referred Analog Device, Inc.'s page that lists all drivers and
> their kernel tree, but there is no existence of any compatible drivers
> for this component.
>
> About AD4695:
> - 16-Channel, 16-bit 500 kSPS SAR ADC
> - "Recommended for New Designs" phase
> - SPI digital output
> - Datasheet in [1]
> - Product overview in [2]
>
> Is there any other factor I should consider before choosing a component
> to make a driver for? Do I go ahead with AD4695  in my
> proposal? If yes, are there any recommendations/suggestions you'd like
> to provide for a beginner indulging in making a kernel driver for such a
> component?

I would like to hear from Dragos but seems like he is busy/out of station.
So, if possible can any other ADI peoples comment on this?