From: Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu>
To: Anirudh Rayabharam <mail@anirudhrb.com>
Cc: Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@google.com>,
	syzbot <syzbot+eb4674092e6cc8d9e0bd@syzkaller.appspotmail.com>,
	Andrey Konovalov <andreyknvl@gmail.com>,
	Felipe Balbi <balbi@kernel.org>,
	Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@oracle.com>,
	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	USB list <linux-usb@vger.kernel.org>,
	syzkaller-bugs <syzkaller-bugs@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [syzbot] general protection fault in gadget_setup
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 13:46:04 -0400	[thread overview]

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 10:35:20PM +0530, Anirudh Rayabharam wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 11:27:34AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > Actually, I wanted to move this emulation code into a new subroutine and
> > then call that subroutine from _both_ places.  Would you like to write
>
> Does it really need to be called from both places?

You know, I was going to say Yes, but now I think you're right; it's not
needed in dummy_udc_stop.  This is because core.c always calls
usb_gadget_disconnect before usb_gadget_udc_stop.  And we can rely on
this behavior; it's obviously necessary to disconnect from the host
before stopping the UDC driver.

On the other hand, while checking that fact I noticed that
soft_connect_store in core.c doesn't call synchronize_irq in between the
other two, the way usb_gadget_remove_driver does.  That seems like a bug
-- if it's necessary to synchronize with the IRQ handler on one path, it
should be necessary on the other path as well.  But that's a matter for
a separate patch.

Alan Stern