* Can printk in the root domain cause the system to hung ?
@ 2021-04-25 10:33 Jamie Huang
From: Jamie Huang @ 2021-04-25 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai, rpm

Hi, all:
	We are now porting ipipe on mips architecture. There is a
problem, after local_irq_enable() is called in start_kernel(), system
looks hung. We found that this may be related to printk in root domain,
if we use early_printk instead of printk, the system looks normal and
can continue the kernel boot process. Can someone tell me the possible
reason, thanks!

--
Jamie

* Re: Can printk in the root domain cause the system to hung ?
@ 2021-04-27 16:36 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2021-04-27 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamie Huang, xenomai, rpm

On 25.04.21 12:33, Jamie Huang via Xenomai wrote:
> Hi, all:
> 	We are now porting ipipe on mips architecture. There is a
> problem, after local_irq_enable() is called in start_kernel(), system
> looks hung. We found that this may be related to printk in root domain,
> if we use early_printk instead of printk, the system looks normal and
> can continue the kernel boot process. Can someone tell me the possible
> reason, thanks!

Is your code published already?

Also note that the I-pipe architecture is becoming legacy. We are moving
all archs to dovetail over 5.10 now.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, T RDA IOT

* Re: Can printk in the root domain cause the system to hung ?
@ 2021-04-28 12:05   ` Jamie Huang
From: Jamie Huang @ 2021-04-28 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: xenomai, rpm

On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 18:36:02 +0200
Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> wrote:

Thank you for reply!

> On 25.04.21 12:33, Jamie Huang via Xenomai wrote:
> > Hi, all:
> > 	We are now porting ipipe on mips architecture. There is a
> > problem, after local_irq_enable() is called in start_kernel(),
> > system looks hung. We found that this may be related to printk in
> > root domain, if we use early_printk instead of printk, the system
> > looks normal and can continue the kernel boot process. Can someone
> > tell me the possible reason, thanks!
>
> Is your code published already?

No, but I think we will publish it when it is basically available.

> Also note that the I-pipe architecture is becoming legacy. We are
> moving all archs to dovetail over 5.10 now.
>
> Jan

Our kernel version is 4.19, so we choose I-pipe now. We will consider
dovetail if use a higher version of kernel.

* Can printk in the root domain cause the system to hung ?
@ 2021-04-24 23:07 Jamie Huang
From: Jamie Huang @ 2021-04-24 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

@ 2021-04-24 12:34 Jamie Huang