* Ethernet-over-usb with linux guest using USB Device Controller ?
@ 2021-04-26 16:48 Doug Evans
From: Doug Evans @ 2021-04-26 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Developers; +Cc: kraxel

Hi.

I'm working on a project where I want to have the linux qemu guest
communicate with another linux system via ethernet-over-usb (as far as the
guest is concerned, as it will be using a usb network gadget).
In this case the linux guest will be using a USB Device Controller (UDC) to
drive its side of the connection, and the protocol will be, IIUC, CDC-ECM.

The modeling would basically look like:

linux-guest <--> UDC-model <--> ?#1 <--> ?#2 <--> linux-host
|<-------------------- QEMU -------------->|

UDC-model will be working with CDC-ECM, but is there a use-case where we'd
want "?#1" to be libslirp and "?#2" to be the host's IP network? Another
use case is propagating CDC-ECM (or the USB packets in general) outside of
QEMU such that it can be fed directly into the USB of the host (or remote
host).

Questions: Is this support in QEMU and if so got any pointers to source for
existing examples?
If not, any guidance on how to proceed?

Of course we'd want this to not be a one-off. E.g., the code would be
partitioned such that the UDC-model-independent-support would be available
to other UDC models to use. Thus perhaps this falls under the scope of
things like this?
https://yhbt.net/lore/all/YFDo%2FoHikOEcXFcg@work-vm/
I'm new to all of this side of USB btw ...