* Who assigns SDIO vendor IDs?
@ 2021-05-14 17:12 Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2021-05-14 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mmc

Hello!

I would like to ask if somebody knows who assigns SDIO vendor IDs?

In SDIO Simplified Specification Version 3.00 available from website
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/pls/ in section 16.6 CISTPL_MANFID is:

  The TPLMID_MANF field identifies the SDIO Card's manufacturer. New
  codes are assigned by both PCMCIA and JEIDA. The first 256 identifiers
  (0000h through 00FFh) are reserved for manufacturers who have JEDEC
  IDs assigned by JEDEC Publication 106. Manufacturers with JEDEC IDs
  may use their eight-bit JEDEC manufacturer code as the least
  significant eight bits of their SDIO Card manufacturer code. In this
  case, the most significant eight bits shall be zero (0).  For example,
  if a JEDEC manufacturer code is 89h, their SDIO Card manufacturer code
  is 0089h. If a SDIO card manufacturer does not currently have a
  TPLMID_MANF assigned, one can be obtained at little or no cost from
  the PCMCIA.

So IDs 0x0000 - 0x00FF are assigned by JEDEC 106 and because JEDEC 106
contains one parity bit, it means that only 128-reserved IDs are
available for SDIO vendor ids and they were already assigned. This is
basically clear and list of these (id, vendor) tuples can be find in
JEDEC 106 publication.

But who assigns remaining SDIO vendor IDs 0x0100 - 0xFFFF? PCMCIA
website http://www.pcmcia.org/ is already down and according to USB-IF
press information found in document USB_IF_01212010.pdf from archive
https://web.archive.org/web/20160304121938if_/http://www.usb.org/press/USB_IF_01212010.pdf
USB-IF acquired PCMCIA assets which probably means also assigning PCMCIA
vendor IDs.

In archive of www.pcmcia.org is available very old list of vendor IDs:
https://web.archive.org/web/20051202104141/http://www.pcmcia.org/tupleid.htm

I have tried to find some information about PCMCIA or SDIO vendors and
IDs assignment on USB-IF website https://www.usb.org/ but there is
absolutely nothing.

So has somebody any clue what happened with PCMCIA and its relation with
SDIO vendor IDs?

* Re: Who assigns SDIO vendor IDs?
@ 2021-05-28  0:21 ` Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2021-05-28  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Hansson; +Cc: linux-mmc

Hello Ulf! Do you know something about SDIO vendor ID assignment?

@ 2021-05-28  8:19   ` Ulf Hansson
From: Ulf Hansson @ 2021-05-28  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pali Rohár, Avri Altman; +Cc: linux-mmc

On Fri, 28 May 2021 at 02:21, Pali Rohár <pali@kernel.org> wrote:

> Hello Ulf! Do you know something about SDIO vendor ID assignment?

I am sorry, but I don't know.

If you have a contact at the SD Association (sdcard.org), I would
start to ask there to see if that can be a way forward.

I have looped in Avri as well, may he can help in some way.

Kind regards
Uffe

@ 2021-06-05  0:16     ` Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2021-06-05  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Hansson; +Cc: Avri Altman, linux-mmc

On Friday 28 May 2021 10:19:35 Ulf Hansson wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2021 at 02:21, Pali Rohár <pali@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Ulf! Do you know something about SDIO vendor ID assignment?
>
> I am sorry, but I don't know.
>
> If you have a contact at the SD Association (sdcard.org), I would
> start to ask there to see if that can be a way forward.

I do not have any contact here.

So I thought that on linux mmc mailing list can be somebody who knows
something about it...

@ 2021-06-06  6:02       ` Avri Altman
From: Avri Altman @ 2021-06-06  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pali Rohár, Ulf Hansson; +Cc: linux-mmc

> On Friday 28 May 2021 10:19:35 Ulf Hansson wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 May 2021 at 02:21, Pali Rohár <pali@kernel.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello Ulf! Do you know something about SDIO vendor ID assignment?
> >
> > I am sorry, but I don't know.
> >
> > If you have a contact at the SD Association (sdcard.org), I would
> > start to ask there to see if that can be a way forward.
>
> I do not have any contact here.
>
> So I thought that on linux mmc mailing list can be somebody who knows
> something about it...
>
> > I have looped in Avri as well, may he can help in some way.
I will ask around.

Thanks,
Avri

@ 2021-06-07  8:25         ` Avri Altman
From: Avri Altman @ 2021-06-07  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pali Rohár, Ulf Hansson; +Cc: linux-mmc

Hi,

> > > I am sorry, but I don't know.
> > >
> > > If you have a contact at the SD Association (sdcard.org), I would
> > > start to ask there to see if that can be a way forward.
> >
> > I do not have any contact here.
> >
> > So I thought that on linux mmc mailing list can be somebody who knows
> > something about it...
> >
> > > I have looped in Avri as well, may he can help in some way.
> I will ask around.
While waiting for a more detailed answer, you might want to contact the SDA helpdesk - helpdesk@sdcard.org

Thanks,
Avri

* Re: Who assigns SDIO vendor IDs?
@ 2021-06-07 14:02 ` Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2021-06-07 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mmc

On Friday 14 May 2021 19:12:33 Pali Rohár wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I would like to ask if somebody knows who assigns SDIO vendor IDs?
>
> In SDIO Simplified Specification Version 3.00 available from website
> https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/pls/ in section 16.6 CISTPL_MANFID is:
>
>   The TPLMID_MANF field identifies the SDIO Card's manufacturer. New
>   codes are assigned by both PCMCIA and JEIDA. The first 256 identifiers
>   (0000h through 00FFh) are reserved for manufacturers who have JEDEC
>   IDs assigned by JEDEC Publication 106. Manufacturers with JEDEC IDs
>   may use their eight-bit JEDEC manufacturer code as the least
>   significant eight bits of their SDIO Card manufacturer code. In this
>   case, the most significant eight bits shall be zero (0).  For example,
>   if a JEDEC manufacturer code is 89h, their SDIO Card manufacturer code
>   is 0089h. If a SDIO card manufacturer does not currently have a
>   TPLMID_MANF assigned, one can be obtained at little or no cost from
>   the PCMCIA.
>
> So IDs 0x0000 - 0x00FF are assigned by JEDEC 106 and because JEDEC 106
> contains one parity bit, it means that only 128-reserved IDs are
> available for SDIO vendor ids and they were already assigned. This is
> basically clear and list of these (id, vendor) tuples can be find in
> JEDEC 106 publication.
>
> But who assigns remaining SDIO vendor IDs 0x0100 - 0xFFFF? PCMCIA
> website http://www.pcmcia.org/ is already down and according to USB-IF
> press information found in document USB_IF_01212010.pdf from archive
> https://web.archive.org/web/20160304121938if_/http://www.usb.org/press/USB_IF_01212010.pdf
> USB-IF acquired PCMCIA assets which probably means also assigning PCMCIA
> vendor IDs.
>
> In archive of www.pcmcia.org is available very old list of vendor IDs:
> https://web.archive.org/web/20051202104141/http://www.pcmcia.org/tupleid.htm
>
> I have tried to find some information about PCMCIA or SDIO vendors and
> IDs assignment on USB-IF website https://www.usb.org/ but there is
> absolutely nothing.
>
> So has somebody any clue what happened with PCMCIA and its relation with
> SDIO vendor IDs?

Hello!

So to answer my own question, we got information that USB-IF really
maintains and assigns PCMCIA vendor ids which are still used also for
SDIO vendor ids in SDIO cards.

New version 4 of SDIO specification mention this fact but "Simplified"
specification which is freely available and from which I quoted part
about CISTPL_MANFID was not updated yet to reflect changes.