* we moved #xfs to oftc
@ 2021-05-26  5:03 Darrick J. Wong
From: Darrick J. Wong @ 2021-05-26  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

Hi folks,

We've moved the #xfs IRC channel to OFTC due to all the recent freenode
drama.  Let us know if you can't join the new channel.  At some point we
might have to make the access stricter (like we did on freenode) to stop
the bot spam, but in theory it should be easy to get in the new channel.

Please do not continue to use the old freenode channel.

Some Q&A:

- Why not post a notice in #xfs, you ask?

A short while ago, the btrfs folks found out the hard way that if you
leave any /topic breadcrumbs pointing people from freenode to another
network, the new admins will declare a policy violation, strip everyone
of channel op privileges, kick everyone off the channel, and erase the
topic.  We'll see how long "10 GOTO OTFC" lasts.

- Why not post a notice on the XFS wiki, you ask?

AFAIK nobody don't have write privileges.

- Why not post a notice on the /new/ XFS wiki, you ask?

The Linux Foundation required us to use their SSO service, which they
are now transitioning to a new third party provider, which means that
nobody can log in anymore.

- Why not use Matrix or something?

The LF have hinted that they might set up an instance, but nothing
concrete has come of that.  We could in theory decide ultimately to move
there, but until they make a public announcement, there's nothing for
public to do.  Also see previous answer.

--D

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-05-26  5:03 UTC | newest]