* [Buildroot] Is there a better version of vi?
@ 2021-06-03 13:27 David Laight
From: David Laight @ 2021-06-03 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

The version of vi is busybox is somewhat cutdown.
I can't see an option to include either nvi or vim.

While vim has grown all sorts of horrid extensions
it would be nice to have a version that matches the
code from the late 1980s.
Most annoying is not having :g//p

	David

-
Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)

* [Buildroot] Is there a better version of vi?
@ 2021-06-03 13:53 ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2021-06-03 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello David,

On Thu, Jun 03, 2021 at 01:27:56PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> The version of vi is busybox is somewhat cutdown.
> I can't see an option to include either nvi or vim.
>
> While vim has grown all sorts of horrid extensions
> it would be nice to have a version that matches the
> code from the late 1980s.

Someone improved the Vi included in busybox lately, lots of changes
have gone to busybox master branch in the last months.  Maybe you
could give that a try?

> Most annoying is not having :g//p

Not sure if that is covered.

Greets
Alex

--
/"\ ASCII RIBBON | ?With the first link, the chain is forged. The first
\ / CAMPAIGN     | speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the
* [Buildroot] Is there a better version of vi?
@ 2021-06-03 14:01   ` David Laight
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2021 at 01:27:56PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> > The version of vi is busybox is somewhat cutdown.
> > I can't see an option to include either nvi or vim.
> >
> > While vim has grown all sorts of horrid extensions
> > it would be nice to have a version that matches the
> > code from the late 1980s.
>
> Someone improved the Vi included in busybox lately, lots of changes
> have gone to busybox master branch in the last months.  Maybe you
> could give that a try?

I'll pick up the 2021.05 release a few days after it escapes.
See what that changes.

I'm busy unmothballing a project from 2 years ago.
Be a while before we start locking down versions.

	David

-

@ 2021-06-07 19:16 ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2021-06-07 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 03/06/2021 15:27, David Laight wrote:
> The version of vi is busybox is somewhat cutdown.
> I can't see an option to include either nvi or vim.

Symbol: BR2_PACKAGE_VIM [=n]

Type  : bool

Prompt: vim

  Location:

    -> Target packages

(1)   -> Text editors and viewers

  Defined at package/vim/Config.in:1

  Depends on: BR2_USE_MMU [=y] && BR2_USE_WCHAR [=y] &&
BR2_PACKAGE_BUSYBOX_SHOW_OTHERS [=y]
  Selects: BR2_PACKAGE_NCURSES [=n]

 I suspect you didn't turn on BR2_PACKAGE_BUSYBOX_SHOW_OTHERS

 vim is pretty large though, adding nvi might be a good idea. Feel free to send
a patch!

 Regards,
 Arnout

@ 2021-06-08  8:16   ` David Laight
> On 03/06/2021 15:27, David Laight wrote:
> > The version of vi is busybox is somewhat cutdown.
> > I can't see an option to include either nvi or vim.
>
> Symbol: BR2_PACKAGE_VIM [=n]
>
> Type  : bool
>
> Prompt: vim
>
>   Location:
>
>     -> Target packages
>
> (1)   -> Text editors and viewers
>
>   Defined at package/vim/Config.in:1
>
>   Depends on: BR2_USE_MMU [=y] && BR2_USE_WCHAR [=y] &&
> BR2_PACKAGE_BUSYBOX_SHOW_OTHERS [=y]
>   Selects: BR2_PACKAGE_NCURSES [=n]
>
>  I suspect you didn't turn on BR2_PACKAGE_BUSYBOX_SHOW_OTHERS

Probably because it is hidden!

>  vim is pretty large though,

It also contains a lot of pointless crap.
Killing all the 'plugins' would be a start.

My current build is for an x86 with an SSD - size doesn't
really matter.
OTOH I've removed python to save build time - not needed.

> adding nvi might be a good idea. Feel free to send a patch!

:-)
I wonder if the fixes I did to netBSD's version got back
to (whatever) the main repository is.

	David

-
Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)