* Maintenance of Linux FPGA
@ 2021-09-25 18:39 Moritz Fischer
From: Moritz Fischer @ 2021-09-25 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fpga; +Cc: gregkh, hao.wu, yilun.xu

Hi all,

I lately did not have enough time to dedicate to the Linux FPGA
subsystem, concerns were raised around bus-factor and all.

Looking at my day-job I don't see this getting better in the short-term
so I've decided to get a conversation going on how to structure this
better for the benefit of the Linux FPGA subsystem.

Maybe a maintainer team approach would address the bus factor and
workload concerns better?

In terms of people I was thinking about:

Hao has done a great job at keeping the DFL part of things going, so I
think he'd be a great choice.

Yilun has been very helpful with reviews and I think he'd be a good
pick, too.

In terms of how to structure this: I'm not sure just yet, open to input.

How do other multi-maintainer subsystems operate? Ideas? Suggestions?

Let me know what you think,

Moritz

* Re: Maintenance of Linux FPGA
@ 2021-09-26  5:44 ` Xu Yilun
From: Xu Yilun @ 2021-09-26  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moritz Fischer; +Cc: linux-fpga, gregkh, hao.wu

On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 11:39:23AM -0700, Moritz Fischer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I lately did not have enough time to dedicate to the Linux FPGA
> subsystem, concerns were raised around bus-factor and all.
>
> Looking at my day-job I don't see this getting better in the short-term
> so I've decided to get a conversation going on how to structure this
> better for the benefit of the Linux FPGA subsystem.
>
> Maybe a maintainer team approach would address the bus factor and
> workload concerns better?
>
> In terms of people I was thinking about:
>
> Hao has done a great job at keeping the DFL part of things going, so I
> think he'd be a great choice.
>
> Yilun has been very helpful with reviews and I think he'd be a good
> pick, too.

It's my pleasure for the nomination and yes I'd like to be one of the
maintainer team, to be more helpful.

Thanks,
Yilun

@ 2021-09-26  9:32 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-09-26  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moritz Fischer; +Cc: linux-fpga, hao.wu, yilun.xu

On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 11:39:23AM -0700, Moritz Fischer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I lately did not have enough time to dedicate to the Linux FPGA
> subsystem, concerns were raised around bus-factor and all.
>
> Looking at my day-job I don't see this getting better in the short-term
> so I've decided to get a conversation going on how to structure this
> better for the benefit of the Linux FPGA subsystem.
>
> Maybe a maintainer team approach would address the bus factor and
> workload concerns better?
>
> In terms of people I was thinking about:
>
> Hao has done a great job at keeping the DFL part of things going, so I
> think he'd be a great choice.
>
> Yilun has been very helpful with reviews and I think he'd be a good
> pick, too.
>
> In terms of how to structure this: I'm not sure just yet, open to input.
>
> How do other multi-maintainer subsystems operate? Ideas? Suggestions?

There's lots of different ways they work, depends on what works best for
you all.

Some take turns on a weekly basis to commit patches to the tree.  Some
require multiple acks/reviews by the others before they are allowed to
merge to their tree.  Some just do what they can and merge what they
want :)

So it's all up to you all as to what you all find works best.  I'll
gladly take patches from whatever you all determine to do.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Maintenance of Linux FPGA
@ 2021-09-28  4:22   ` Moritz Fischer
From: Moritz Fischer @ 2021-09-28  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xu Yilun; +Cc: Moritz Fischer, linux-fpga, gregkh, hao.wu

Yilun,

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 01:44:49PM +0800, Xu Yilun wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 11:39:23AM -0700, Moritz Fischer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I lately did not have enough time to dedicate to the Linux FPGA
> > subsystem, concerns were raised around bus-factor and all.
> >
> > Looking at my day-job I don't see this getting better in the short-term
> > so I've decided to get a conversation going on how to structure this
> > better for the benefit of the Linux FPGA subsystem.
> >
> > Maybe a maintainer team approach would address the bus factor and
> > workload concerns better?
> >
> > In terms of people I was thinking about:
> >
> > Hao has done a great job at keeping the DFL part of things going, so I
> > think he'd be a great choice.
> >
> > Yilun has been very helpful with reviews and I think he'd be a good
> > pick, too.
>
> It's my pleasure for the nomination and yes I'd like to be one of the
> maintainer team, to be more helpful.

Great, thanks for helping out. I'll look into setting up a shared
repository in the next couple of days.

In the meantime try getting a kernel.org account setup following the
instructions here: https://korg.docs.kernel.org/accounts.html

I don't remember if you have to be listed as M: entry in MAINTAINERS for
the account to get approved. In any case I'll send out a patch in a bit.

@ 2021-09-28  5:51   ` Wu, Hao
From: Wu, Hao @ 2021-09-28  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 11:39:23AM -0700, Moritz Fischer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I lately did not have enough time to dedicate to the Linux FPGA
> > subsystem, concerns were raised around bus-factor and all.
> >
> > Looking at my day-job I don't see this getting better in the short-term
> > so I've decided to get a conversation going on how to structure this
> > better for the benefit of the Linux FPGA subsystem.
> >
> > Maybe a maintainer team approach would address the bus factor and
> > workload concerns better?
> >
> > In terms of people I was thinking about:
> >
> > Hao has done a great job at keeping the DFL part of things going, so I
> > think he'd be a great choice.
> >
> > Yilun has been very helpful with reviews and I think he'd be a good
> > pick, too.
>
> It's my pleasure for the nomination and yes I'd like to be one of the
> maintainer team, to be more helpful.

Hi Moritz,

Me too, it's really a great pleasure. Thanks a lot for giving me this
opportunity, I hope I can do more contributions.

Thanks
Hao