* [BUG REPORT] split-index behavior during interactive rebase
@ 2021-09-16  5:50 Matt Roper
From: Matt Roper @ 2021-09-16  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

What did you do before the bug happened? (Steps to reproduce your issue)

  I activated split index mode on a repo ("git config core.splitIndex
  true"), performed an interactive rebase, modified a commit earlier in
  the history.

  The steps can be reproduced via a sequence of:
      $ mkdir tmp && cd tmp && git init
      $ git config core.splitIndex true
      $ for x in `seq 20`; do echo $x >> count; git add count; git commit -m "Commit $x"; done
      $ git rebase -i HEAD~10

      ## Add "x git commit --amend --no-edit" as the first command of
      ## the todo list.

What did you expect to happen? (Expected behavior)

  My expectation was that there would still only be a single shared index
  file in the .git directory upon completion of the rebase.

What happened instead? (Actual behavior)

  A large number of distinct sharedindex.* files were generated in the .git
  directory during the rebase.

What's different between what you expected and what actually happened?

  Rather than a single shared index file, I wound up with a huge number of
  large shared index files.  The real repository I was working with (a Linux
  kernel source tree) had a shared index file size of about 7MB, and I was
  modifying a commit several hundred back in history (in case it
  matters, these were all linear commits, no merges), so the resulting
  collection of shared index files consumed a surprising amount of disk
  space.

Anything else you want to add:

  As an experiment, I tried setting splitIndex.sharedIndexExpire=now to see
  if it would avoid the explosion of shared index files, but it appears the
  stale index files are still not being removed during the rebase, and I
  still wind up with a huge number at the end of the rebase.  If I manually
  run "git update-index --split-index" after the rebase completes it will
  properly delete all of the stale ones at that point.

  Rebases that do not actually modify the history do _not_ trigger the
  explosion of shared index files (e.g., "git rebase -i HEAD~10 --exec 'echo
  foo'").

  If I do not set the core.splitIndex setting on the repository, but only
  activate split index manually via "git update-index --split-index" there
  is only one shared index file at the end of the rebase, but based on the
  file size it appears the repository is no longer operating in split index
  mode.

  Before:
  $ ll .git | grep index
  -rw-rw-r--   1 mdroper mdroper   149165 Sep 15 22:21 index
  -rw-rw-r--   1 mdroper mdroper  7296080 Sep 15 22:21 sharedindex.f916dd59ccc22ca34298f557a4659aca2767dae4

  After (just amending HEAD~1 in this case):
  $ ls -l .git | grep index
  -rw-rw-r--   1 mdroper mdroper  7445145 Sep 15 22:22 index
  -rw-rw-r--   1 mdroper mdroper  7296080 Sep 15 22:22 sharedindex.f916dd59ccc22ca34298f557a4659aca2767dae4

[System Info]
git version:
git version 2.33.0
cpu: x86_64
no commit associated with this build
sizeof-long: 8
sizeof-size_t: 8
shell-path: /bin/sh
uname: Linux 5.8.18-100.fc31.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Nov 2 20:32:55 UTC 2020 x86_64
compiler info: gnuc: 9.3
libc info: glibc: 2.30
$SHELL (typically, interactive shell): /bin/bash

[Enabled Hooks]

--
Matt Roper
Graphics Software Engineer