* [Buildroot] Buildroot patchwork strange Submitter
@ 2021-10-07  5:13 Baruch Siach via buildroot
From: Baruch Siach via buildroot @ 2021-10-07  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Kerr; +Cc: buildroot

Hi Jeremy,

The "Submitter" field of some Buildroot patchwork entries over the last
few days from different senders is set to "Baruch Siach via buildroot":

  http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/?submitter=82609

Any idea what might be causing that?

Thanks,
baruch

--
                                                     ~. .~   Tk Open Systems
   - baruch@tkos.co.il - tel: +972.52.368.4656, http://www.tkos.co.il -

* Re: [Buildroot] Buildroot patchwork strange Submitter
@ 2021-10-07  6:01 ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2021-10-07  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baruch Siach; +Cc: Jeremy Kerr, buildroot

Baruch, Jeremy, All,

On 2021-10-07 08:13 +0300, Baruch Siach via buildroot spake thusly:
> The "Submitter" field of some Buildroot patchwork entries over the last
> few days from different senders is set to "Baruch Siach via buildroot":
>   http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/?submitter=82609
>
> Any idea what might be causing that?

That's because of DMARC mangling in the mailing list (or something like
that, I'm no expert): the From field is replaced by the list adress, and
thus the patches look like they are all from the same sender, and
somehow the name of that sender is arbitrarily chosen... Not sure aboutr
the heuristic...

And this time it picked yours. In the past, it picked others' nmaes, and
I expect in the future it will pick another one...

As for what happens when the patches are applied: I have a script that
fixes this when applying; I think the other maintainers use pwclient or
some such, and it is also automatically fixed when applying. Maybe git-am
fixes it on its own too?

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +33 561 099 427 `------------.-------:  X  AGAINST      |  \e/  There is no  |

* Re: [Buildroot] Buildroot patchwork strange Submitter
@ 2021-10-09 19:26   ` Baruch Siach via buildroot
From: Baruch Siach via buildroot @ 2021-10-09 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN, Jeremy Kerr; +Cc: buildroot

Hi Yann, Jeremy,

On Thu, Oct 07 2021, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> On 2021-10-07 08:13 +0300, Baruch Siach via buildroot spake thusly:
>> The "Submitter" field of some Buildroot patchwork entries over the last
>> few days from different senders is set to "Baruch Siach via buildroot":
>>   http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/?submitter=82609
>>
>> Any idea what might be causing that?
>
> That's because of DMARC mangling in the mailing list (or something like
> that, I'm no expert): the From field is replaced by the list adress, and
> thus the patches look like they are all from the same sender, and
> somehow the name of that sender is arbitrarily chosen... Not sure aboutr
> the heuristic...
>
> And this time it picked yours. In the past, it picked others' nmaes, and
> I expect in the future it will pick another one...

Patchwork now changed the "Submitter" field on these patches to
Christian Stewart.

This looks unrelated to the content of the email itself. Take a look at
the headers of one of these patchwork entries:

  https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/patch/RnUd7kxUKLWeLZSMoM1dFtpAD4Qfe3R-67gu27eAGtE6yrgC1oHzq1GwiOoE9Gmk6uZZ-c6k6LUVxdMqKhUro4_bM4zZKPhsbN5e9BV8SV4=@protonmail.com/

You can see that the 'From' header shows the correct sender:

  From: Yair Ben-Avraham via buildroot <buildroot@buildroot.org>

I see the same in this email from my archive.

Still, patchwork previously used my name as "Submitter", and now
Christian's. So I think something is wrong with patchwork.

baruch

--

@ 2021-10-10  2:54     ` Jeremy Kerr
From: Jeremy Kerr @ 2021-10-10  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baruch Siach, Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: buildroot

Hi Baruch,

> You can see that the 'From' header shows the correct sender:
>
>   From: Yair Ben-Avraham via buildroot <buildroot@buildroot.org>

That's not really the correct sender; it's been modified by the list
software.

> I see the same in this email from my archive.
>
> Still, patchwork previously used my name as "Submitter", and now
> Christian's. So I think something is wrong with patchwork.

Yep, we try to find the correct sender if the From: header reports the
list address as the sender.

However, the buildroot list has changed back-and-forth between
buildroot@lists.buildroot.org and buildroot@buildroot.org a couple of
times recently. The list address was set to
buildroot@lists.buildroot.org, which didn't match that 'via' header.

I've since set it to buildroot@buildroot.org, so the reverse-dmarc-fix
should work again - let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Jeremy

* Re: [Buildroot] Buildroot patchwork strange Submitter
@ 2021-10-10  8:17       ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2021-10-10  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Kerr; +Cc: Yann E. MORIN, buildroot

Hi,

 > Hi Baruch,
 >> You can see that the 'From' header shows the correct sender:
 >>
 >>   From: Yair Ben-Avraham via buildroot <buildroot@buildroot.org>

 > That's not really the correct sender; it's been modified by the list
 > software.

 >> I see the same in this email from my archive.
 >>
 >> Still, patchwork previously used my name as "Submitter", and now
 >> Christian's. So I think something is wrong with patchwork.

 > Yep, we try to find the correct sender if the From: header reports the
 > list address as the sender.

 > However, the buildroot list has changed back-and-forth between
 > buildroot@lists.buildroot.org and buildroot@buildroot.org a couple of
 > times recently. The list address was set to
 > buildroot@lists.buildroot.org, which didn't match that 'via' header.

 > I've since set it to buildroot@buildroot.org, so the reverse-dmarc-fix
 > should work again - let me know how it goes.

Yes, sorry about that all of you, it should all be back stable again.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard