* u-boot:rsa adds rsa3072 algorithm
@ 2022-02-07  2:26 Jamin Lin
From: Jamin Lin @ 2022-02-07  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joel, openbmc; +Cc: Andrew Jeffery, Jamin Lin, Troy Lee, Steven Lee

Hi Joel and OpenBMC team,

This patch was applied to u-boot/master, http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/patch/20220119082323.4567-2-jamin_lin@aspeedtech.com/
Commit   2a4b0d5890deb0c973f8db7bb03adad96aff1050
https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/commit/2a4b0d5890deb0c973f8db7bb03adad96aff1050
Could you please help to backport the patch to the openbmc/u-boot tree?
Thanks-Jamin

************* Email Confidentiality Notice ********************
DISCLAIMER:
This message (and any attachments) may contain legally privileged and/or other confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and immediately delete the e-mail and any attachments without copying or disclosing the contents. Thank you.

* Openbmc u-boot trees (was Re: u-boot:rsa adds rsa3072 algorithm)
@ 2022-02-07  6:02 ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2022-02-07  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamin Lin; +Cc: Andrew Jeffery, openbmc, Troy Lee, Steven Lee

Hi Jamin,

On Mon, 7 Feb 2022 at 02:26, Jamin Lin <jamin_lin@aspeedtech.com> wrote:

> Hi Joel and OpenBMC team,
>

> This patch was applied to u-boot/master, http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/patch/20220119082323.4567-2-jamin_lin@aspeedtech.com/
>
> Commit   2a4b0d5890deb0c973f8db7bb03adad96aff1050
>
> https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/commit/2a4b0d5890deb0c973f8db7bb03adad96aff1050
>
> Could you please help to backport the patch to the openbmc/u-boot tree?

Sure, I can do that.

I'd like to start a discussion about the u-boot trees and how we
maintain them. Currently we have:

 - upstream; partial 2600 support
 - aspeed-master-v2019.04, SDK tree maintained by ASPEED
 - v2019.04-aspeed-openbmc, openbmc maintained by Joel. Based on SDK tree

In the past I was putting code in the openbmc tree so we could use it
for bringup, and trying to send pull requests to the SDK tree.

Now you're sending patches upstream (excellent!) and sending me
requests to merge into the openbmc tree.

I would like to see fewer trees.

In the short term, one option is we put all of the openbmc patches in
the SDK, and continue using that for openbmc. Would this work for
aspeed?

In the medium term, we should start using upstream releases. There may
still be some downstream code (as we have for Linux in our dev
branches), but this will go to zero over time.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Joel

* Re: u-boot:rsa adds rsa3072 algorithm
@ 2022-02-07  6:11 ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2022-02-07  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamin Lin; +Cc: Andrew Jeffery, openbmc, Troy Lee, Steven Lee

On Mon, 7 Feb 2022 at 02:26, Jamin Lin <jamin_lin@aspeedtech.com> wrote:
> This patch was applied to u-boot/master, http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/patch/20220119082323.4567-2-jamin_lin@aspeedtech.com/
>
> Commit   2a4b0d5890deb0c973f8db7bb03adad96aff1050
>
> https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/commit/2a4b0d5890deb0c973f8db7bb03adad96aff1050
>
> Could you please help to backport the patch to the openbmc/u-boot tree?

This patch doesn't apply cleanly. Can you send a backport to the list?
Please be sure to test that it applies, builds and runs against the
v2019.04-aspeed-openbmc tree.

Cheers,

Joel

* RE: Openbmc u-boot trees (was Re: u-boot:rsa adds rsa3072 algorithm)
@ 2022-02-07  7:02   ` Jamin Lin
From: Jamin Lin @ 2022-02-07  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley, Dylan Hung, Ryan Chen, ChiaWei Wang
  Cc: Andrew Jeffery, openbmc, Troy Lee, Steven Lee

+ Ryan, ChiaWei and Dylan

@ 2022-02-09  2:28     ` ChiaWei Wang
From: ChiaWei Wang @ 2022-02-09  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
> This message (and any attachments) may contain legally privileged and/or
> other confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify
> the sender by reply e-mail and immediately delete the e-mail and any
> attachments without copying or disclosing the contents. Thank you.

Yes.
Are we going to do this through PRs as usual?

> In the medium term, we should start using upstream releases. There may still
> be some downstream code (as we have for Linux in our dev branches), but this
> will go to zero over time.

Agree.
We are also working on upstreaming fundamental drivers to U-Boot mainline.
Once it is sufficient for most frequently used booting paths, Aspeed will start using it.

Regards,
Chiawei

* Re: u-boot:rsa adds rsa3072 algorithm
@ 2022-02-10  6:06   ` Jamin Lin
From: Jamin Lin @ 2022-02-10  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley; +Cc: Andrew Jeffery, openbmc, Troy Lee, Steven Lee

The 02/07/2022 06:11, Joel Stanley wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2022 at 02:26, Jamin Lin <jamin_lin@aspeedtech.com> wrote:
> > This patch was applied to u-boot/master, http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/patch/20220119082323.4567-2-jamin_lin@aspeedtech.com/
> >
> > Commit   2a4b0d5890deb0c973f8db7bb03adad96aff1050
> >
> > https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/commit/2a4b0d5890deb0c973f8db7bb03adad96aff1050
> >
> > Could you please help to backport the patch to the openbmc/u-boot tree?
>
> This patch doesn't apply cleanly. Can you send a backport to the list?
> Please be sure to test that it applies, builds and runs against the
> v2019.04-aspeed-openbmc tree.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joel

I send the new patch and ready for review.
Thanks-Jamin

* Re: Openbmc u-boot trees (was Re: u-boot:rsa adds rsa3072 algorithm)
@ 2022-02-11  2:11       ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2022-02-11  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ChiaWei Wang, Zev Weiss
  Cc: Jamin Lin, Andrew Jeffery, openbmc, Troy Lee, Steven Lee,
	Ryan Chen, Dylan Hung

On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 at 02:29, ChiaWei Wang <chiawei_wang@aspeedtech.com> wrote:
> > I would like to see fewer trees.
> >
> > In the short term, one option is we put all of the openbmc patches in the SDK,
> > and continue using that for openbmc. Would this work for aspeed?
>
> Yes.
> Are we going to do this through PRs as usual?

Works for me. I've sent two PRs with the obvious changes:

 https://github.com/AspeedTech-BMC/u-boot/pull/9

 https://github.com/AspeedTech-BMC/u-boot/pull/8

We need to work out how to arrange the defconfigs. Would you like to
see openbmc using one of the defconfigs you maintain, or should we
keep a seperate one?

configs/evb-ast2600-cot_defconfig
configs/evb-ast2600_defconfig
configs/evb-ast2600-ecc_defconfig
configs/evb-ast2600-emmc_defconfig
configs/evb-ast2600-spl_defconfig
configs/evb-ast2600-spl-ecc_defconfig
configs/evb-ast2600-spl-ncsi_defconfig
configs/evb-ast2600-spl-tiny_defconfig

The openbmc ones are here:

configs/ast2600_openbmc_defconfig
configs/ast2600_openbmc_spl_defconfig
configs/ast2600_openbmc_spl_emmc_defconfig

The openbmc and openbmc_spl defconfigs are legacy and not tested by
myself. I actively maintain the openbmc_spl_emmc configuration as it
supports the rainier/everest

> > In the medium term, we should start using upstream releases. There may still
> > be some downstream code (as we have for Linux in our dev branches), but this
> > will go to zero over time.
>
> Agree.
> We are also working on upstreaming fundamental drivers to U-Boot mainline.
> Once it is sufficient for most frequently used booting paths, Aspeed will start using it.

Excellent. Thank you for your work in this area.

@ 2022-02-15  1:47         ` ChiaWei Wang
From: ChiaWei Wang @ 2022-02-15  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley, Zev Weiss
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 at 02:29, ChiaWei Wang
> <chiawei_wang@aspeedtech.com> wrote:
> > > I would like to see fewer trees.
> > >
> > > In the short term, one option is we put all of the openbmc patches
> > > in the SDK, and continue using that for openbmc. Would this work for
> aspeed?
> >
> > Yes.
> > Are we going to do this through PRs as usual?
>
> Works for me. I've sent two PRs with the obvious changes:
>
>  https://github.com/AspeedTech-BMC/u-boot/pull/9
>
>  https://github.com/AspeedTech-BMC/u-boot/pull/8
>
> We need to work out how to arrange the defconfigs. Would you like to see
> openbmc using one of the defconfigs you maintain, or should we keep a
> seperate one?
>
> configs/evb-ast2600-cot_defconfig
> configs/evb-ast2600_defconfig
> configs/evb-ast2600-ecc_defconfig
> configs/evb-ast2600-emmc_defconfig
> configs/evb-ast2600-spl_defconfig
> configs/evb-ast2600-spl-ecc_defconfig
> configs/evb-ast2600-spl-ncsi_defconfig
> configs/evb-ast2600-spl-tiny_defconfig

These evb-ast2600-xxx defconfigs are still used by Aspeed customers who are not moving on to OpenBMC yet.
Let's keep them separated until the legacy Aspeed SDK is phased out.
After then, we can work on merging these defconfigs with those of openbmc for simplicity.

Regards,
Chiawei

@ 2022-02-17  3:29         ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2022-02-17  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley
  Cc: Jamin Lin, Andrew Jeffery, ChiaWei Wang, Troy Lee, Steven Lee,
	Dylan Hung, Ryan Chen, openbmc, Zev Weiss