* Pull request for bitmap branch
@ 2022-03-28  1:09 Yury Norov
From: Yury Norov @ 2022-03-28  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Yury Norov, Alexey Klimov, Andrew Morton, Andy Shevchenko,
	David Laight, Dennis Zhou, Emil Renner Berthing,
	Greg Kroah-Hartman, Joe Perches, Matti Vaittinen,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Michał Mirosław,
	Nicholas Piggin, Peter Zijlstra, Rasmus Villemoes, linux-kernel

Hi Stephen,

Can you please pull this branch for linux-next?
https://github.com/norov/linux/tree/bitmap

Thanks,
Yury

* Re: Pull request for bitmap branch
@ 2022-03-28  2:17 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-03-28  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yury Norov
  Cc: Alexey Klimov, Andrew Morton, Andy Shevchenko, David Laight,
	Dennis Zhou, Emil Renner Berthing, Greg Kroah-Hartman,
	Joe Perches, Matti Vaittinen, Mauro Carvalho Chehab,
	Michał Mirosław, Nicholas Piggin, Peter Zijlstra,
	Rasmus Villemoes, linux-kernel

Hi Yury,

On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 18:09:51 -0700 Yury Norov <yury.norov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you please pull this branch for linux-next?
> https://github.com/norov/linux/tree/bitmap

Normally, I don't add new branches to linux-next during the merge
window.  An exception is for branches that only contain changes meant
to be merged by Linus during the current merge window.  Even then, this
is very late to the table :-(

Also, you should tell me the branch name I need to fetch (which I will
refetch every day, so it should be a good stable name - like
"for-next"), and if this branch will be merged directly by Linus, or
through some other tree.

OK, I just checked ... the above URL is not a git tree.  I suspect you
meant me to fetch the "bitmap" branch of
https://github.com/norov/linux.git, right?

One more thing, that branch is based on Linus' tree of today, so really
cannot have received much testing in its current form :-(
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: Pull request for bitmap branch
@ 2022-03-28  2:45   ` Yury Norov
From: Yury Norov @ 2022-03-28  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Alexey Klimov, Andrew Morton, Andy Shevchenko, David Laight,

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 01:17:56PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Yury,
>
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 18:09:51 -0700 Yury Norov <yury.norov@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Can you please pull this branch for linux-next?
> > https://github.com/norov/linux/tree/bitmap
>
> Normally, I don't add new branches to linux-next during the merge
> window.  An exception is for branches that only contain changes meant
> to be merged by Linus during the current merge window.  Even then, this
> is very late to the table :-(

OK. I'll send a reminder when the window will be closed.

> Also, you should tell me the branch name I need to fetch (which I will
> refetch every day, so it should be a good stable name - like
> "for-next"), and if this branch will be merged directly by Linus, or
> through some other tree.

I'll rename it to 'bitmap-for-next'. Thanks.

> OK, I just checked ... the above URL is not a git tree.  I suspect you
> meant me to fetch the "bitmap" branch of
> https://github.com/norov/linux.git, right?

Yes

> One more thing, that branch is based on Linus' tree of today, so really
> cannot have received much testing in its current form :-(

Rebasing this series from 5.17 to origin/master causes a couple merge
conflicts, so I decided to simplify your work.

Are you OK if I rebase it on 5.18-rc1 when it will be created and send
new request?

@ 2022-03-28  3:22     ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-03-28  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yury Norov
  Cc: Alexey Klimov, Andrew Morton, Andy Shevchenko, David Laight,

On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:45:22 -0700 Yury Norov <yury.norov@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 01:17:56PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi Yury,
> >
> > On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 18:09:51 -0700 Yury Norov <yury.norov@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Can you please pull this branch for linux-next?
> > > https://github.com/norov/linux/tree/bitmap
> >
> > Normally, I don't add new branches to linux-next during the merge
> > window.  An exception is for branches that only contain changes meant
> > to be merged by Linus during the current merge window.  Even then, this
> > is very late to the table :-(
>
> OK. I'll send a reminder when the window will be closed.

Thanks, that would be good.

> Rebasing this series from 5.17 to origin/master causes a couple merge
> conflicts, so I decided to simplify your work.
>
> Are you OK if I rebase it on 5.18-rc1 when it will be created and send
> new request?

Sure, but please redo your testing after rebasing.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: Pull request for bitmap branch
@ 2022-04-18  1:31 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2022-04-18  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yury Norov
  Cc: Alexey Klimov, Andrew Morton, Andy Shevchenko,
	Anna-Maria Behnsen, David Laight, Dennis Zhou,
	Emil Renner Berthing, Greg Kroah-Hartman, Joe Perches,
	Matti Vaittinen, Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Maxim Kuvyrkov,

On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:12:47 -0700 Yury Norov <yury.norov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> Please pull the bitmap branch for the next tree. This branch is based on top
> of 5.18-rc2. Tested by 0-day and TCWG. By myself, built for arm64, x86_64,
> mips, ss90, sparc, arm and sh; boot-tested for arm64 and x86_64.
>
> Repo: https://github.com/norov/linux.git
> Branch: bitmap-for-next

Added from tomorrow.

Thanks for adding your subsystem tree as a participant of linux-next.  As
you may know, this is not a judgement of your code.  The purpose of
linux-next is for integration testing and to lower the impact of
conflicts between subsystems in the next merge window.

You will need to ensure that the patches/commits in your tree/series have
been:
     * submitted under GPL v2 (or later) and include the Contributor's
        Signed-off-by,
     * posted to the relevant mailing list,
     * reviewed by you (or another maintainer of your subsystem tree),
     * successfully unit tested, and
     * destined for the current or next Linux merge window.

Basically, this should be just what you would send to Linus (or ask him
to fetch).  It is allowed to be rebased if you deem it necessary.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Pull request for bitmap branch