* make mrclean for each build?
@ 2022-03-31 16:28 Jaehee Park
From: Jaehee Park @ 2022-03-31 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy, jhpark1013

Should we be doing `make mrclean` or `make mrproper`(probably not this extreme) to rebuild after each change?
Or is compling only part of the kernel (as it says in the outreachy firstpatch guide) good enough?
I think the latter is probably fine because we're working on one module at a time, but just wanted to confirm.

Thanks,
Jaehee ("Jay-hee")

* Re: make mrclean for each build?
@ 2022-03-31 16:55 ` Alison Schofield
From: Alison Schofield @ 2022-03-31 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaehee Park; +Cc: outreachy

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 12:28:17PM -0400, Jaehee Park wrote:
> Should we be doing `make mrclean` or `make mrproper`(probably not this extreme) to rebuild after each change?
> Or is compling only part of the kernel (as it says in the outreachy firstpatch guide) good enough?
> I think the latter is probably fine because we're working on one module at a time, but just wanted to confirm.

Generally, no need to clean/rebuild entire kernel when you are
working on a loadable module in drivers/staging.

The frequently occuring issue, is that you send a patch that does
not apply to Greg's tree because your tree is outdated.
As you can see, Greg is constantly accepting cleanups in staging,
so you need to stay in sync with that moving target!
See the https://kernelnewbies.org/Outreachyfirstpatch part about
"Update your kernel" where it explains how to fetch and rebase.

You will go to sync one day and find that what you were working
on, has been fixed by someone else. It happens ;)