From: Marc MERLIN <marc@merlins.org>
To: Zygo Blaxell <ce3g8jdj@umail.furryterror.org>
Cc: Josef Bacik <josef@toxicpanda.com>,
	"linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org" <linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Rebuilding 24TB Raid5 array (was btrfs corruption: parent transid verify failed + open_ctree failed)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 12:13:17 -0700	[thread overview]

On Wed, Apr 06, 2022 at 02:07:47PM -0400, Zygo Blaxell wrote:
> Readahead can fail for a number of reasons that aren't real problems,

thanks.

> Once a degraded array has an IO failure, mdadm assumes you're in
> a data-scraping recovery mode and simply passes errors through.
> bcache does something similar when the backing store fails.

shouldn't it go read only also?
I haven't found a setting to tell it to do that if it's not the default.

> btrfs is the agent that has to stop attempting writes, and make sure
> any transaction in progress doesn't get committed.  ext4 has similar
> responsibility and implements its own force-read-only feature.

Agreed, but I like the defense in multiple layers approach
mdadm knows that any data going to be written is going to be incomplete
due to the 2nd missing drive, and there are few to no scenarios where
continuing to write is a good thing.

> I note that btrfs is reporting only read errors here.

Yeah, me too. That seems very bad and likely the cause or the corruption
I got.
A double raid failure (I've had them before) should be almost a non
event. The first write after that should fail and that should be the end
of it.
This underlying problem makes me very uncomfortable.
As much as I'm super thankful for Josef's efforts, and ultimately it
will make btrfs recovery better, which is a win for all, my situation
shouldn't have happened from what I can tell.

> There's a possibility that the drive dropped the writes during the
> bus reset at the start of the second drive failure.  If write caching
> was enabled in the drive, and the drive has a firmware bug that drops
> the write cache contents (or it's just failing hardware, i.e. the CPU
> running the drive firmware is getting killed by electrical problems on the
> controller board, causing both the bus drop and the loss of write cache
> contents), then writes in the drive's cache could be lost _after_ mdadm,
> bcache and btrfs had been told by the drive that they were completed.

That's true, but I've seen btfrs remount read only before, and it didn't
there. Shouldn't hard IO errors immediately cause btrfs to go read only?

Write caching is on all those drives though:
gargamel:/var/local/src/btrfs-progs-josefbacik# hdparm -v -W /dev/sdh
/dev/sdh:
 multcount     = 16 (on)
 readonly      =  0 (off)
 readahead     = 256 (on)
 geometry      = 729601/255/63, sectors = 11721045168, start = 0
 write-caching =  1 (on)

I haven't heard that these drives have broken caching, but maybe they do?
Device Model:     ST6000VN0041-2EL11C
Serial Number:    ZA18TVFZ
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 0a4d9b49c
Firmware Version: SC61
User Capacity:    6,001,175,126,016 bytes [6.00 TB]

> If the failing drive also reorders cached writes across flush
> commands, then we go directly to parent transid verify failed in btrfs.
> Parent transid verification is designed to detect this exact firmware
> failure mode, and it usually works as intended.  It's a pretty direct
> and reliable signal that write ordering is broken in a lower level of
> the storage stack, and must be fixed or disabled before trying again.

Agreed, I do want to fix the underlying problem here.
What I can do is

1) disable write caching on the drives

2) disable bcache by removing the caching device

3) change the cache mode
gargamel:/sys/block/md7/bcache# cat cache_mode
[writethrough] writeback writearound none
writethrough should be safe, but I could use writearound instead

4) if I end up wiping my device, I can just remove the bcache layer altogether.

> Even if a single drive doesn't reorder writes, multiple drives in
> raid effectively reorder writes between drives as each drive has its
> own distinct write queue.  A dropped write that would be harmless in a

very good point.

> single-device filesystem could be harmful in a multi-device array as the
> non-failing drives will have writes that occurred after the lost writes
> on the failing drive.  Normally mdadm enforces flush ordering across all
> component devices so that this isn't a problem, but if you have optimistic
> firmware and a drive failure after the flush command returns success,
> the inter-drive ordering enforcement fails and the result is the same
> as if an individual drive had a write/flush reordering bug.

That's all fair, but it feels like FS kept writing way longer than it
was supposed to and that is what worries me the most.

> Some years ago we did a fleetwide audit of bad firmware drives and
> found about a third of our drives were bad.  We disabled write cache on

Looks like I just want to disable write caching then. Correctness beats
speed for sure.

> Yeah, experimental recovery code is fun, but robust backups and a working
> disaster recovery plan is usually better.  Even if the filesystem is
> up and running again, I'd want to compare all the files against backups
> because I'd trust nothing on a filesystem after fsck touched it.

That is totally my plan. Given the output that I'm seeing, I'll definitely do
at least a diff of all files between the backup and the array being recovered.
I might even do an rsync, forcing md5 checksums, but if I do that, it
will take days and longer than restoring the backup.

> On the other hand, if you get lucky and the filesystem isn't too badly
> damaged, then comparing the data with backups will be more convenient
> than starting over with a new filesystem.

Agreed.

Thanks,
Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/