* [ANN] Mailing list migration - Tue, May 2nd
@ 2023-04-25 21:06 Jakub Kicinski
From: Jakub Kicinski @ 2023-04-25 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev, netdev-driver-reviewers
  Cc: Konstantin Ryabitsev, John 'Warthog9' Hawley

Hi all!

We are planning to perform a migration of email distribution for
the netdev@vger mailing list on Tue, May 2nd (4PM EDT / 1PM PDT).

There should be no impact to the workflow, the only expected change
will be a different set of Received: headers. The emails should start
to flow via the kernel.org servers.

Konstantin also points out that this is the first ("inaugural") time
a live re-plumbing of an exiting vger mailing list will be performed so
minor bumps may occur. Hopefully given the very low ML traffic during
the merge window any potential disruption will be of no significance.

vger have served us well over the decades (let's defer the full "thank
yous" for after the migration ;)) but we're hoping that migrating to
a more recent(?) stack will smooth out remaining occasional glitches.
And perhaps more importantly allow us to integrate better with existing
kernel.org infrastructure (lore).

* Re: [ANN] Mailing list migration - Tue, May 2nd
@ 2023-05-02 20:00 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2023-05-02 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Kicinski
  Cc: netdev, netdev-driver-reviewers, John 'Warthog9' Hawley

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 02:06:14PM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> We are planning to perform a migration of email distribution for
> the netdev@vger mailing list on Tue, May 2nd (4PM EDT / 1PM PDT).

Hi, all:

This is now. There will be a series of test messages I will send in this
thread that are safe to ignore.

Once the move is complete and everything is verified looking good, I will let
everyone know.

-K

* Re: [ANN] Mailing list migration - Tue, May 2nd
@ 2023-05-02 21:08 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2023-05-02 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Kicinski
  Cc: netdev, netdev-driver-reviewers, John 'Warthog9' Hawley

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 02:06:14PM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> We are planning to perform a migration of email distribution for
> the netdev@vger mailing list on Tue, May 2nd (4PM EDT / 1PM PDT).

Hi, all:

This should be the final message to test archive propagation. The move has
been complete -- if you notice that something isn't working right or not
looking right, or not archiving right, please alert me.

Everything regarding the list should work exactly as before, just the

Best regards,
Konstantin

* Re: [ANN] Mailing list migration - Tue, May 2nd
@ 2023-05-03  2:10   ` Jakub Kicinski
From: Jakub Kicinski @ 2023-05-03  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev, John 'Warthog9' Hawley, David Miller
  Cc: netdev, netdev-driver-reviewers

On Tue, 2 May 2023 17:08:46 -0400 Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 02:06:14PM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > We are planning to perform a migration of email distribution for
> > the netdev@vger mailing list on Tue, May 2nd (4PM EDT / 1PM PDT).
>
> Hi, all:
>
> This should be the final message to test archive propagation. The move has
> been complete -- if you notice that something isn't working right or not
> looking right, or not archiving right, please alert me.
>
> Everything regarding the list should work exactly as before, just the

Thanks for the migration, everything seems to be working fine!
Feels like an end of an era 🥲️

I don't have the right words to express the gratitude to DaveM
for maintaining vger over the years, along all his other community
responsibilities. Thank you!

And thanks to John for helping more recently and always answering
our inconveniently timed calls!