* [virtio-comment] virtio networking collaboration meeting: call for agenda
@ 2023-05-18  0:53 Parav Pandit
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Parav Pandit @ 2023-05-18  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: virtio; +Cc: virtio-comment

Hi all,

At the moment to my knowledge, many TC members are working on many new features for virtio network device specification - all of us working in parallel.

I feel a biweekly meeting would help us virtio networking developers collaborate more effectively.
For example, we can discuss how do features each one is working on interact, what timeframe is each one targeting, etc.

I suggest:
- A biweekly meeting using google meet.
- Meeting agenda will be posted on list before a week so people
  will have a full week to review, respond on the existing mailing lists.
- If no agenda items for that meeting day, meeting will be cancelled.
- Minutes will be posted on list after a meeting.
- non-TC members can also join; this is an additional space to get input
  from outside experts, under the existing terms of OASIS feedback license.

- All decisions are still made by TC electronic ballot as usual. Proposed collaboration
  meetings are unrelated to TC ballot. The point is ability to collaborate,
  plan and split work better between developers working in the same spec area.

For the first meeting, I propose the following agenda item:
- discuss new virtio net device features for 1.4 spec release

I suggest several day & time slots.
Days:
- Tue (May 30) or
- Wed (May 31)
Time:
- 2 pm GMT, or
- 5 am GMT

We can pick other time/day options as well depending on who wants to attend and in which time zone.

If all this sounds interesting to you, if you would like to attend this and hopefully future collaboration meetings,
please reply with email, cc to list:
a. preferred time slots that work for you.
b. any items you would like to add to above agenda.

Any other comments, suggestions?

Regards,
Parav Pandit

This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
to minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required
before posting.

Subscribe: virtio-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
Feedback License: https://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/feedback_license.pdf
Committee: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/virtio/
Join OASIS: https://www.oasis-open.org/join/

* Re: [virtio-comment] virtio networking collaboration meeting: call for agenda
@ 2023-05-18  5:47 ` Ariel Adam
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ariel Adam @ 2023-05-18  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parav Pandit; +Cc: virtio, virtio-comment

The "Virtio-networking upstream biweekly meeting" which happens on
Wednesday's every 2 weeks (led by Eugenio and Jason) was meant to get all
the companies interested in virtio networking together to help move things
forward (both virtio-networking/spec and vDPA).

See meeting notes from previous meetings:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FoPi81zQmo5y20G0Yntg-eGHX14LnWc63TwR57mCbs4/edit#

Why not use that meeting and just add more topics given that a lot of
the relevant companies already join this meeting?

Thanks.

@ 2023-05-18  9:33   ` Eugenio Perez Martin
From: Eugenio Perez Martin @ 2023-05-18  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ariel Adam; +Cc: Parav Pandit, virtio, virtio-comment

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 7:48 AM Ariel Adam <aadam@redhat.com> wrote:

> The "Virtio-networking upstream biweekly meeting" which happens on Wednesday's every 2 weeks (led by Eugenio and Jason) was meant to get all the companies interested in virtio networking together to help move things forward (both virtio-networking/spec and vDPA).
>
> See meeting notes from previous meetings: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FoPi81zQmo5y20G0Yntg-eGHX14LnWc63TwR57mCbs4/edit#
>
> Why not use that meeting and just add more topics given that a lot of the relevant companies already join this meeting?

Yes, that fits perfectly with the purpose of the meeting. And it has
been used in the past to discuss AQ if I recall correctly.

The shared document is already open for writing so everybody can
propose new topics.

Thanks for bringing it to the discussion!

@ 2023-05-18 16:53     ` Chet Ensign
From: Chet Ensign @ 2023-05-18 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eugenio Perez Martin; +Cc: Ariel Adam, Parav Pandit, virtio, virtio-comment

Just a reminder everyone that you must be a TC member to participate in TC
meetings. Eugenio, Ariel, I don't see you on the roster. Let me know if you
need directions on how to set up your OASIS logins as Redhat employees.

Thanks,

/chet

--
Chet Ensign

Chief Technical Community Steward

OASIS Open

+1 201-341-1393 <+1+201-341-1393>
chet.ensign@oasis-open.org
www.oasis-open.org

* Re: [virtio-comment] virtio networking collaboration meeting: call for agenda
@ 2023-05-18 18:46       ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2023-05-18 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chet Ensign
  Cc: Eugenio Perez Martin, Ariel Adam, Parav Pandit, virtio, virtio-comment

Chet, all,

In fact TC voted to conduct all business by electronic ballot, without
meetings.

Both non-TC and TC members will inevitably meet to discuss things like
their plans or implementation efforts. We hardly can, or want to,
prevent that. However:
Any such meetings are not mandatory to maintain voting rights. Anything
discussed in such meetings has no force as a TC decision. Such a meeting
will not be listed in the TC calendar. Neither can material be solely
presented in such a meeting or in the doc linked - it has to be posted
to the mailing list to be considered for inclusion in the specification.

In particular all this applies to the Virtio-networking upstream
biweekly meeting - this is not a TC meeting, but some TC members attend
it.

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 12:53:41PM -0400, Chet Ensign wrote:
> [...]
>
>     Subscribe: virtio-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
>     Feedback License: https://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/feedback_license.pdf
>     List Guidelines: https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/
>     mailing-lists
>     Committee: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/virtio/
>     Join OASIS: https://www.oasis-open.org/join/
>

> --
>            Chet Ensign
>
>            Chief Technical                      [p]  +1 201-341-1393
> [AIorK4wW] Community Steward                    [e]  chet.ensign@oasis-open.org
>                                                 [l]  www.oasis-open.org
>            OASIS Open

This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
to minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required

* [virtio-comment] Re: [virtio] Re: [virtio-comment] virtio networking collaboration meeting: call for agenda
@ 2023-05-18 19:09         ` Chet Ensign
From: Chet Ensign @ 2023-05-18 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin
  Cc: Eugenio Perez Martin, Ariel Adam, Parav Pandit, virtio, virtio-comment

Thanks, Michael. I knew the TC operates that way so I found the exchange
confusing.

The key issue here is IPR commitments that go with contributions. When
someone makes a contribution to the TC - chunk of code or whatever - their
IPR has to be covered. For TC members, they are committed by joining and
being on the roster. For any non-TC members, contribution has to be done
via the comment list to gain the equivalent commitment. That protection for
the TC and Oasis is the key thing I look for.

@ 2023-05-18 19:31           ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2023-05-18 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chet Ensign
  Cc: Eugenio Perez Martin, Ariel Adam, Parav Pandit, virtio, virtio-comment

Well this is why I said:
>     Neither can material be solely
>     presented in such a meeting or in the doc linked - it has to be posted
>     to the mailing list to be considered for inclusion in the specification.

This should serve to protect the IPR - while people can discuss
whatever, for things to be in the spec they have to be on list.

As an additional precaution, I think that while subscribing to list is
one way to agree to the feedback license, another is simply asking
anyone who is not a TC member to confirm.

Just in case, I also suggested to Eugenio that anyone discussing issues
connected to a virtio spec is presented with a reminder along the lines
of:

    By joining the meeting, participants agree that any information shared in the
    meeting will be considered submitted by them to the VIRTIO TC, according
    the OASIS Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy
    https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/ipr

Hope this helps.

@ 2023-05-18 19:45             ` Chet Ensign
From: Chet Ensign @ 2023-05-18 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin
  Cc: Eugenio Perez Martin, Ariel Adam, Parav Pandit, virtio, virtio-comment

Thanks very much, Michael. I appreciate you taking the time to go through
that.

--

@ 2023-05-21 20:58   ` Parav Pandit
From: Parav Pandit @ 2023-05-21 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ariel Adam; +Cc: virtio, virtio-comment

Hi Ariel,

Thanks for the suggestion.
Two separate meetings enable the attendees to choose all 3 options based on their interest, time, project participation and more.

  1.  Join both
  2.  Join vdpa discussions
  3.  Join virtio net spec discussions

So I will continue as dedicate one.

Thanks,
Parav

See meeting notes from previous meetings: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FoPi81zQmo5y20G0Yntg-eGHX14LnWc63TwR57mCbs4/edit#<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FoPi81zQmo5y20G0Yntg-eGHX14LnWc63TwR57mCbs4/edit>

Subscribe: virtio-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org<mailto:virtio-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org>
Feedback License: https://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/feedback_license.pdf
Committee: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/virtio/
Join OASIS: https://www.oasis-open.org/join/

* Re: RE: [virtio-comment] virtio networking collaboration meeting: call for agenda
@ 2023-05-22  2:45     ` Xuan Zhuo
From: Xuan Zhuo @ 2023-05-22  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parav Pandit; +Cc: virtio, virtio-comment, Ariel Adam

On Sun, 21 May 2023 20:58:42 +0000, Parav Pandit <parav@nvidia.com> wrote:
> Hi Ariel,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
> Two separate meetings enable the attendees to choose all 3 options based on their interest, time, project participation and more.
>
>   1.  Join both
>   2.  Join vdpa discussions
>   3.  Join virtio net spec discussions
>
> So I will continue as dedicate one.

I prefer #3.

> Thanks,
> Parav

Wed (May 31) 5am GMT is good to me.

Thanks.

@ 2023-05-30 14:57       ` Parav Pandit
From: Parav Pandit @ 2023-05-30 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > Two separate meetings enable the attendees to choose all 3 options based on
> their interest, time, project participation and more.
> >
> >   1.  Join both
> >   2.  Join vdpa discussions
> >   3.  Join virtio net spec discussions
> >
> > So I will continue as dedicate one.
> >

> I prefer #3.

Thanks for the ack. I need to differ it by another week due to other issues from my side.

* [virtio-comment] Re: [virtio] RE: [virtio-comment] virtio networking collaboration meeting: call for agenda
@ 2023-05-30 18:41     ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2023-05-30 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parav Pandit; +Cc: Ariel Adam, virtio, virtio-comment

On Sun, May 21, 2023 at 08:58:42PM +0000, Parav Pandit wrote:
> Hi Ariel,
>

> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Two separate meetings enable the attendees to choose all 3 options based on
> their interest, time, project participation and more.
>
>  a. Join both
>  b. Join vdpa discussions
>  c. Join virtio net spec discussions
>

> So I will continue as dedicate one.

Or just look at the agenda for each meeting and decide?
The meeting Ariel mentioned below is "virtio networking upstream
meeting". Who said it is about vdpa?

At meetings are unofficial, feel free to do whatever, but if their
purpose is to give as wide an audience as possible insight into your
ideas in order to help progress, then surely splintering the already
narrow "networking device" community even further will not achive that.

And resulting confusion among possible contributors with respect to
which meeting to present at, is not welcome.

> Thanks,
>
> Parav

* [virtio-comment] RE: virtio networking collaboration meeting: call for agenda
@ 2023-05-31 15:16 ` Satananda Burla
From: Satananda Burla @ 2023-05-31 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parav Pandit, virtio; +Cc: virtio-comment

Sorry I could not make this one as I am out of office till 5/31. 5 AM GMT works for me.
I can attend the next meeting onwards.

Regards
Satananda

@ 2023-05-31 22:22 ` Si-Wei Liu
From: Si-Wei Liu @ 2023-05-31 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parav Pandit, virtio; +Cc: virtio-comment

On 5/17/2023 5:53 PM, Parav Pandit wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> At the moment to my knowledge, many TC members are working on many new features for virtio network device specification - all of us working in parallel.
>
> I feel a biweekly meeting would help us virtio networking developers collaborate more effectively.
> For example, we can discuss how do features each one is working on interact, what timeframe is each one targeting, etc.
>
> I suggest:
> - A biweekly meeting using google meet.
> - Meeting agenda will be posted on list before a week so people
>    will have a full week to review, respond on the existing mailing lists.
> - If no agenda items for that meeting day, meeting will be cancelled.
> - Minutes will be posted on list after a meeting.
> - non-TC members can also join; this is an additional space to get input
>    from outside experts, under the existing terms of OASIS feedback license.
>
> - All decisions are still made by TC electronic ballot as usual. Proposed collaboration
>    meetings are unrelated to TC ballot. The point is ability to collaborate,
>    plan and split work better between developers working in the same spec area.
>
> For the first meeting, I propose the following agenda item:
> - discuss new virtio net device features for 1.4 spec release
>
> I suggest several day & time slots.
> Days:
> - Tue (May 30) or
> - Wed (May 31)
> Time:
> - 2 pm GMT, or
> - 5 am GMT
>
> We can pick other time/day options as well depending on who wants to attend and in which time zone.
5 am GMT Wednesday works for me. If possible, I would like to avoid
scheduling it to the same week of the vdpa meeting, as I have to attend
both.

Thanks,
-Siwei

@ 2023-06-01  0:33   ` Parav Pandit
From: Parav Pandit @ 2023-06-01  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > We can pick other time/day options as well depending on who wants to
> attend and in which time zone.
> 5 am GMT Wednesday works for me. If possible, I would like to avoid scheduling
> it to the same week of the vdpa meeting, as I have to attend both.

Ok. Sounds good.
Will collect some more feedback this week and if this works, will schedule 1st and 3rd week Wed.

* RE: [virtio-comment] virtio networking collaboration meeting: call for agenda
@ 2023-06-01 15:14     ` Parav Pandit
From: Parav Pandit @ 2023-06-01 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parav Pandit, Si-Wei Liu, virtio, Michael S. Tsirkin; +Cc: virtio-comment

Hi Michael,

Does this time work for you?
Would you be able to participate?

* Re: [virtio-comment] virtio networking collaboration meeting: call for agenda
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-06-01 16:14 ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2023-06-01 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parav Pandit; +Cc: virtio, virtio-comment

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 12:53:56AM +0000, Parav Pandit wrote:
> For the first meeting, I propose the following agenda item:
> - discuss new virtio net device features for 1.4 spec release

Want to include a bit more detail here?  What do you want to discuss? At
the moment the only thing I see on list is inner hash proposal.

--
MST

@ 2023-06-01 16:19   ` Parav Pandit
From: Parav Pandit @ 2023-06-01 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 12:53:56AM +0000, Parav Pandit wrote:
> > For the first meeting, I propose the following agenda item:
> > - discuss new virtio net device features for 1.4 spec release
>
> Want to include a bit more detail here?  What do you want to discuss? At the
> moment the only thing I see on list is inner hash proposal.

Yes, I would like to discuss list of features to go through at high level.
In process of creating virtio-docs patch that we can review and store.
Will send out the link hopefully in couple of hours.

@ 2023-06-01 16:26     ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2023-06-01 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parav Pandit; +Cc: virtio, virtio-comment

On Thu, Jun 01, 2023 at 04:19:36PM +0000, Parav Pandit wrote:

> [...]

BTW this is skirting the 1 week in advance rule a bit with such a vague
agenda item - the forum is about virtio net device so this boils down to
"features" then. Versus what? Bugs?  Just for once ok I guess but let's
not do this going forward.

--
MST

@ 2023-06-01 16:35       ` Parav Pandit
> On Thu, Jun 01, 2023 at 04:19:36PM +0000, Parav Pandit wrote:

Right, as listed in agenda -> features.

> Versus what? Bugs?  Just for once ok I guess but let's not do this going forward.

Yes, we will do a week before going forward.
Was collecting mostly the response on date/time.
Was considering 2nd and 4th Wed of month but on Si-Wei suggestion had to prepone to 1st and 3rd.
Hence the delay of a day.