* Upcoming nolibc pull request for the next merge window
@ 2023-07-21 17:39 Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2023-07-21 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Willy Tarreau, Shuah Khan, Thomas Weißschuh, linux-kernel

Hello, Linus!

This is just to let you know that Willy and I are adding co-maintainers
for nolibc.  Shuah Khan will join me as administrative maintainer,
and will be sending the pull request to you for the next merge window.

Similarly, Thomas Weißschuh will be joining Willy as technical maintainer
for nolibc.  With luck, this won't affect you, but in case you come across
a nolibc issue, please reach out to Thomas as well as Willy, Shuah,
and myself.  There will of course be an update to the MAINTAINERS file
in the near future, but just to let you know in the meantime.

							Thanx, Paul

* Re: Upcoming nolibc pull request for the next merge window
@ 2023-07-22  3:01 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2023-07-22  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul E. McKenney
  Cc: Linus Torvalds, Willy Tarreau, Shuah Khan, Thomas Weißschuh,
	linux-kernel

Hi Paul,

On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 10:39:48 -0700 "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@kernel.org> wrote:

> This is just to let you know that Willy and I are adding co-maintainers
> for nolibc.  Shuah Khan will join me as administrative maintainer,
> and will be sending the pull request to you for the next merge window.
>
> Similarly, Thomas Weißschuh will be joining Willy as technical maintainer
> for nolibc.  With luck, this won't affect you, but in case you come across
> a nolibc issue, please reach out to Thomas as well as Willy, Shuah,
> and myself.  There will of course be an update to the MAINTAINERS file
> in the near future, but just to let you know in the meantime.

Would it make sense to add a separate nolibc branch to linux-next (and
no longer merge it into the rcu branch?  Or are there dependencies
between the two?

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: Upcoming nolibc pull request for the next merge window
@ 2023-07-22  4:48   ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2023-07-22  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Linus Torvalds, Willy Tarreau, Shuah Khan, Thomas Weißschuh,
	linux-kernel

On Sat, Jul 22, 2023 at 01:01:20PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 10:39:48 -0700 "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > This is just to let you know that Willy and I are adding co-maintainers
> > for nolibc.  Shuah Khan will join me as administrative maintainer,
> > and will be sending the pull request to you for the next merge window.
> >
> > Similarly, Thomas Weißschuh will be joining Willy as technical maintainer
> > for nolibc.  With luck, this won't affect you, but in case you come across
> > a nolibc issue, please reach out to Thomas as well as Willy, Shuah,
> > and myself.  There will of course be an update to the MAINTAINERS file
> > in the near future, but just to let you know in the meantime.
>
> Would it make sense to add a separate nolibc branch to linux-next (and
> no longer merge it into the rcu branch?  Or are there dependencies
> between the two?

Dependencies between nolibc and RCU are extremely rare, so it might well
make sense to have a separate branch.

Maybe nolibc/next from either the -rcu tree or Shuah's tree?  Shuah,
would something else work better for you?

@ 2023-07-24 14:49     ` Shuah Khan
From: Shuah Khan @ 2023-07-24 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulmck, Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Linus Torvalds, Willy Tarreau, Thomas Weißschuh,
	linux-kernel, Shuah Khan

On 7/21/23 22:48, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2023 at 01:01:20PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 10:39:48 -0700 "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@kernel.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is just to let you know that Willy and I are adding co-maintainers
>>> for nolibc.  Shuah Khan will join me as administrative maintainer,
>>> and will be sending the pull request to you for the next merge window.
>>>
>>> Similarly, Thomas Weißschuh will be joining Willy as technical maintainer
>>> for nolibc.  With luck, this won't affect you, but in case you come across
>>> a nolibc issue, please reach out to Thomas as well as Willy, Shuah,
>>> and myself.  There will of course be an update to the MAINTAINERS file
>>> in the near future, but just to let you know in the meantime.
>>
>> Would it make sense to add a separate nolibc branch to linux-next (and
>> no longer merge it into the rcu branch?  Or are there dependencies
>> between the two?
>
> Dependencies between nolibc and RCU are extremely rare, so it might well
> make sense to have a separate branch.
>
> Maybe nolibc/next from either the -rcu tree or Shuah's tree?  Shuah,
> would something else work better for you?

We probably have to add linux-kselftest nolibc and rcu nolibc since
we are planning to alternating pull requests?

Paul, you and I have to make sure we don't have duplicate patches
in our nolibc branches.

thanks,
-- Shuah

* Re: Upcoming nolibc pull request for the next merge window
@ 2023-07-24 15:31       ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2023-07-24 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Linus Torvalds, Willy Tarreau,
	Thomas Weißschuh, linux-kernel

On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 08:49:40AM -0600, Shuah Khan wrote:
> On 7/21/23 22:48, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 22, 2023 at 01:01:20PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > > Hi Paul,

> > > Would it make sense to add a separate nolibc branch to linux-next (and
> > > no longer merge it into the rcu branch?  Or are there dependencies
> > > between the two?
> >
> > Dependencies between nolibc and RCU are extremely rare, so it might well
> > make sense to have a separate branch.
> >
> > Maybe nolibc/next from either the -rcu tree or Shuah's tree?  Shuah,
> > would something else work better for you?
> >

> We probably have to add linux-kselftest nolibc and rcu nolibc since
> we are planning to alternating pull requests?
>
> Paul, you and I have to make sure we don't have duplicate patches
> in our nolibc branches.

If the duplicate patches all have the same SHA-1 hashes, we should be
good, right?  Or am I missing something subtle here?

@ 2023-07-24 15:37         ` Shuah Khan
From: Shuah Khan @ 2023-07-24 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulmck
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Linus Torvalds, Willy Tarreau,
	Thomas Weißschuh, linux-kernel, Shuah Khan

On 7/24/23 09:31, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 08:49:40AM -0600, Shuah Khan wrote:

>>> Dependencies between nolibc and RCU are extremely rare, so it might well
>>> make sense to have a separate branch.
>>>
>>> Maybe nolibc/next from either the -rcu tree or Shuah's tree?  Shuah,
>>> would something else work better for you?
>>>

>> We probably have to add linux-kselftest nolibc and rcu nolibc since
>> we are planning to alternating pull requests?
>>
>> Paul, you and I have to make sure we don't have duplicate patches
>> in our nolibc branches.
>
> If the duplicate patches all have the same SHA-1 hashes, we should be
> good, right?  Or am I missing something subtle here?

You are right - no duplication. We are good.

Stephen, would you like me to send a formal request to add
linux-kselftest nolibc to next?

thanks,
-- Shuah

* Re: Upcoming nolibc pull request for the next merge window
@ 2023-07-24 21:42           ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2023-07-24 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuah Khan
  Cc: paulmck, Linus Torvalds, Willy Tarreau, Thomas Weißschuh,