* Re: Patch "wifi: wilc1000: revert reset line logic flip" has been added to the 6.1-stable tree
       [not found] <20240322181725.114042-1-sashal@kernel.org>
@ 2024-03-23 10:07 ` Alexis Lothoré
From: Alexis Lothoré @ 2024-03-23 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sasha Levin, stable-commits
  Cc: Ajay Singh, Claudiu Beznea, Kalle Valo, stable

Hello,

On 3/22/24 19:17, Sasha Levin wrote:
> This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled
>
>     wifi: wilc1000: revert reset line logic flip
>
> to the 6.1-stable tree which can be found at:
>     http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=summary
>
> The filename of the patch is:
>      wifi-wilc1000-revert-reset-line-logic-flip.patch
> and it can be found in the queue-6.1 subdirectory.
>
> If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to the stable tree,
> please let <stable@vger.kernel.org> know about it.

This patch is expected to introduce a breakage on platforms using a wrong device
tree description. After discussing this consequence with wireless and DT people
(see this patch RFC in [1]), it has been decided that this is tolerable. However,
despite the Fixes tag I have put in the patch, I am not sure it is OK to also
introduce this breakage for people just updating their stable kernels ? My
opinion here is that they should get this break only when updating to a new
kernel release, not stable, so I _would_ keep this patch out of stable trees
(currently applied to 6.1, 6.6, 6.7 and 6.8, if I have followed correctly).

Thanks,

Alexis

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240213-wilc_1000_reset_line-v1-1-e01da2b23fed@bootlin.com/

--
Alexis Lothoré, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* Re: Patch "wifi: wilc1000: revert reset line logic flip" has been added to the 6.1-stable tree
@ 2024-03-23 16:47   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2024-03-23 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis Lothoré
  Cc: Sasha Levin, stable-commits, Ajay Singh, Claudiu Beznea,
	Kalle Valo, stable

On Sat, Mar 23, 2024 at 11:07:39AM +0100, Alexis Lothoré wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 3/22/24 19:17, Sasha Levin wrote:
> > This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled
> >
> >     wifi: wilc1000: revert reset line logic flip
> >
> > to the 6.1-stable tree which can be found at:
> >     http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=summary
> >
> > The filename of the patch is:
> >      wifi-wilc1000-revert-reset-line-logic-flip.patch
> > and it can be found in the queue-6.1 subdirectory.
> >
> > If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to the stable tree,
> > please let <stable@vger.kernel.org> know about it.
>
> This patch is expected to introduce a breakage on platforms using a wrong device
> tree description. After discussing this consequence with wireless and DT people
> (see this patch RFC in [1]), it has been decided that this is tolerable. However,
> despite the Fixes tag I have put in the patch, I am not sure it is OK to also
> introduce this breakage for people just updating their stable kernels ? My
> opinion here is that they should get this break only when updating to a new
> kernel release, not stable, so I _would_ keep this patch out of stable trees
> (currently applied to 6.1, 6.6, 6.7 and 6.8, if I have followed correctly).

No one should ever have anything "break" no matter if they update from a
normal release, or a stable release, so this is not a thing.  Either it
is ok for any release, or none, and needs to be reverted.

thanks,

greg k-h