* Regression due to "ath9k: fix going to full-sleep on PS idle"
@ 2012-04-12  4:22 ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2012-04-12  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heinz Diehl
	Sujith Manoharan, ath9k-devel@lists.ath9k.org, John W. Linville,
	David Miller, Network Development

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Heinz Diehl <htd@fancy-poultry.org> wrote:
> On 12.04.2012, Sergio Correia wrote:
>
>> is there any chance for this one to be included in this review cycle?
>>
>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg87999.html
>
> Thanks for pointing this out! This patch fixes my network problems
> which forced me to go back to a previous kernel.

You guys need to fix the subject line (like this), and make sure that
the right people are cc'd. This is not a "stable" issue - stable
cannot revert stuff that hasn't been reverted upstream.

So instead of stable and Greg, it should be netdev and Davem.

David/John: multiple people are complaining about that commit. It
really should be reverted, or a fix found. It's broken.

I can do the revert, but it would be better coming from the networking people.

                         Linus

* [ath9k-devel] Regression due to "ath9k: fix going to full-sleep on PS idle"
@ 2012-04-12  4:22 ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2012-04-12  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Heinz Diehl <htd@fancy-poultry.org> wrote:
> On 12.04.2012, Sergio Correia wrote:
>
>> is there any chance for this one to be included in this review cycle?
>>
>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg87999.html
>
> Thanks for pointing this out! This patch fixes my network problems
> which forced me to go back to a previous kernel.

You guys need to fix the subject line (like this), and make sure that
the right people are cc'd. This is not a "stable" issue - stable
cannot revert stuff that hasn't been reverted upstream.

So instead of stable and Greg, it should be netdev and Davem.

David/John: multiple people are complaining about that commit. It
really should be reverted, or a fix found. It's broken.

I can do the revert, but it would be better coming from the networking people.

                         Linus

* Regression due to "ath9k: fix going to full-sleep on PS idle"
  (?)
@ 2012-04-12  5:07   ` Sujith Manoharan
From: Sujith Manoharan @ 2012-04-12  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Heinz Diehl, linux-kernel, Greg KH, akpm, alan,

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> You guys need to fix the subject line (like this), and make sure that
> the right people are cc'd. This is not a "stable" issue - stable
> cannot revert stuff that hasn't been reverted upstream.
>
> So instead of stable and Greg, it should be netdev and Davem.
>
> David/John: multiple people are complaining about that commit. It
> really should be reverted, or a fix found. It's broken.
>
> I can do the revert, but it would be better coming from the networking people.

John has already reverted the commit:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless.git;a=commit;h=011afa1ed8c408d694957d2474d89dc81a60b70c

Sujith

From: Sujith Manoharan @ 2012-04-12  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
	linux-kernel, John W. Linville, Greg, Heinz Diehl,
	Network Development, akpm, David Miller, alan

From: Sujith Manoharan @ 2012-04-12  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> You guys need to fix the subject line (like this), and make sure that
> the right people are cc'd. This is not a "stable" issue - stable
> cannot revert stuff that hasn't been reverted upstream.
>
> So instead of stable and Greg, it should be netdev and Davem.
>
> David/John: multiple people are complaining about that commit. It
> really should be reverted, or a fix found. It's broken.
>
> I can do the revert, but it would be better coming from the networking people.

John has already reverted the commit:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless.git;a=commit;h=011afa1ed8c408d694957d2474d89dc81a60b70c

Sujith

* Re: Regression due to "ath9k: fix going to full-sleep on PS idle"
@ 2012-04-12 13:20     ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2012-04-12 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sujith Manoharan
  Cc: Linus Torvalds, Heinz Diehl, linux-kernel, Greg KH, akpm, alan,

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:37:44AM +0530, Sujith Manoharan wrote:
> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > You guys need to fix the subject line (like this), and make sure that
> > the right people are cc'd. This is not a "stable" issue - stable
> > cannot revert stuff that hasn't been reverted upstream.
> >
> > So instead of stable and Greg, it should be netdev and Davem.
> >
> > David/John: multiple people are complaining about that commit. It
> > really should be reverted, or a fix found. It's broken.
> >
> > I can do the revert, but it would be better coming from the networking people.
>
> John has already reverted the commit:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless.git;a=commit;h=011afa1ed8c408d694957d2474d89dc81a60b70c

Yes, I'll be pushing to Dave M shortly.

John