* unsynchronized raid10 with different events count
@ 2015-01-31 13:52 LuVar
From: LuVar @ 2015-01-31 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi,
I have raid with 9 devices, layout n3. It is not possible to autoassemble it with all devices, because 4 devices has different number of events... How can I assemble it fully and sync with 5 devices which have slightly more events? My current state after mdadm --assemble /dev/...... is this: http://pastebin.com/vEpd8WWW

I know that I can delete those 4 disks and add them again, but I do not want to experiment if removed and newly added disk will be on correct place in raid and also I would like to not synchronize whole disks. They miss only a few events. Is there any possibility?

PS: here is complete examine output: http://cwillu.com:8080/188.121.181.8/8 and cat /proc/mdstat is here: http://cwillu.com:8080/188.121.181.8/9

* Re: unsynchronized raid10 with different events count
@ 2015-01-31 14:33 ` LuVar
From: LuVar @ 2015-01-31 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi,
I have found out something myself. According https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_Recovery#Trying_to_assemble_using_--force wiki page, assembling with force can solve my problem. By reading manpage ob mdadm, I have reat this:

<cite>
       -f, --force
              Assemble  the array even if the metadata on some devices appears to be out-of-date.  If mdadm cannot find enough working devices to start the array, but can find some devices that are recorded as having failed, then it will mark those devices as working so that the array can be started.  An array which requires --force to be started may contain data corruption.  Use it carefully.
</cite>

My new answer is, would it use in raid10 (layout n3) disks with same, highest, event count? If yes, I assume, that result will be 100% consistent. Currently, I have these events count:

         Events : 55060
         Events : 55041
         Events : 55060

         Events : 55060
         Events : 55041
         Events : 55041

         Events : 55060
         Events : 55060
         Events : 55041

So for each part of raid0, I have three disks in raid1. In each raid1, there is at least one disk with events = 55060. So if force will use them to restore (sync) content on other raid1 disks, it should be 100% consistent. WHY does not do this mdraid automatically when I request assemble? There is no risk of dataloss from my point ow view, if the biggest event count is contained at least on one part of raid.

Thanks for fast reply,
LuVar

@ 2015-01-31 16:14   ` LuVar
From: LuVar @ 2015-01-31 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi,
finally,
I have run --re-add thing. It seems that it is what I wanted. My array is now OK.

So only one question remains. Is there any possibility to make improvements and make array autoassemble if there are clear that in raid10, there is consistent highest events count for at least one drive for raid1 subparts? I have layout=n3 for situations when one drive fails, to be able to correctly recover from others two same copies and to know that given data are probably ok if they are same.

@ 2015-02-05  4:52     ` NeilBrown
From: NeilBrown @ 2015-02-05  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LuVar; +Cc: linux-raid