* How to use linux-firmware to install single firmware package? #kirkstone
@ 2023-02-26  3:03 Yang, Wilson
From: Yang, Wilson @ 2023-02-26  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

We ran into same issue described in https://lore.kernel.org/all/CGDd.1667516824130158087.aCkO@lists.openembedded.org/t/

Not sure if any solutions/workarounds available to share?

We only want two linux-firmware packages, linux-firmware-imx-sdma-imx6q and linux-firmware-imx-sdma-imx7d which are removed from IMAGE_INSTALL:append from our core-image.bb file. Also add IMAGE_INSTALL:remove = "linux-firmware" in same .bb file to remove it.
Unfortunately, the installed-packages.txt still shows the complete list of linux-firmware packages installed that results much larger binary size than ideal.

Thanks in advance for your info/help.

Wilson Yang

** Statement from Terumo BCT, Inc. **

Confidential and/or privileged information may be contained in this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient you should not copy or forward this message and should destroy it immediately. Any disclosure, copying, distribution and/or any other use of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. The opinions, conclusions and other information in this message do not necessarily represent the views and/or opinions of the employer.

** End of statement **

* Re: How to use linux-firmware to install single firmware package? #kirkstone
@ 2023-02-26  3:25 ` Vincent Davis Jr
From: Vincent Davis Jr @ 2023-02-26  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Same problem as above

https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/topic/94795411#172656

Maybe try MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RDEPENDS with OE core master.

For me it only includes specified linux-firmware package.

I had a similar issue awhile back, but I think a solution landed in OE core master.
Although from commit message seems unrelated. I believe this is what solved
the problem for me.

https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/message/173867

* Re: How to use linux-firmware to install single firmware package? #kirkstone
@ 2022-11-04 18:44   ` Livius
From: Livius @ 2022-11-04 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

What should i check in buildhistory? In my buildhistory folder linux-firmware folder contains all packages as a subfolders, like was in my tmp/deploy/rpm/noarch. Following content is in my linux-firmware/linux-firmware-imx-sdma-imx7d/latest text file.

PE = 1
PV = 20220913
PR = r0
RPROVIDES =
RDEPENDS = linux-firmware-imx-sdma-license
RRECOMMENDS =
PKGSIZE = 2862
FILES = /lib/firmware/imx/sdma/sdma-imx7d.bin
FILELIST = /lib/firmware/imx/sdma/sdma-imx7d.bin

* Re: How to use linux-firmware to install single firmware package? #kirkstone
@ 2022-11-04 17:08 ` Livius
From: Livius @ 2022-11-04 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

I have a linux-firmware_%.bbappend ( https://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale-3rdparty/blob/kirkstone/recipes-kernel/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_%25.bbappend ) from meta-freescale-3rdparty layer. I think, it is too simple, it can not cause the problem. In my local.conf I set up to generate buildhistory (i used the following commands), soon my next image build is ready an i can share the results.

INHERIT += "buildhistory"
BUILDHISTORY_COMMIT = "0"

* Re: How to use linux-firmware to install single firmware package? #kirkstone
@ 2022-11-04 14:59 ` Vincent Davis Jr
From: Vincent Davis Jr @ 2022-11-04 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

I can confirm I'm seeing something similar with MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RDEPENDS = "linux-firmware-amdgpu"

I use with OE-core kirkstone HEAD + custom distro config. Was wondering of the best way to debug why issue occurs.

Is there anything else besides bitbake -g <your-image> and INHERIT += "buildhistory" that I can try?
How would one best check what happens during rootfs creation?

* Re: How to use linux-firmware to install single firmware package? #kirkstone
@ 2022-11-04 12:42 ` Livius
From: Livius @ 2022-11-04 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

In my tmp/deploy/rpm/noarch folder i can see many-many other firmware .rpm files like linux-firmware-bcm43xx, linux-firmware-nvidia-tegra and so on, these were not planed to be installed. It seems to me, the full linux-firmware package was deployed somehow. I think i am using poky now, this is my path for linux-firmware: PROJECT/sources/poky/meta/recipes-kernel/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_20220913.bb

So, my poky come from git.yoctoproject.org ( https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/log/?h=kirkstone ) , i use latest kirkstone commit ( https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/commit/?h=kirkstone&id=2e79b199114b25d81bfaa029ccfb17676946d20d ).

In pn-buildlist and task-depends.dot i can see only linux-firmware, i have no any listed single package like should be linux-firmware-imx-sdma-imx7d.

* How to use linux-firmware to install single firmware package? #kirkstone
@ 2022-11-03 23:07 Livius
From: Livius @ 2022-11-03 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core