* Difference between System.map and /proc/kallsyms
@ 2015-03-09  6:00 Jamal
From: Jamal @ 2015-03-09  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi..

After reading Documentation on System.map, i understood that , whenever
an oops happens the following addresses  will be converted to its
function name by klogd daemon using System.map.

Now when we have /proc/kallsyms which stores the symbol table in the
kernel image itself.Then what is the need of System.map file??Is any
process or daemon still using it??

Regards,
Md.Jamal

* Difference between System.map and /proc/kallsyms
@ 2015-03-09 10:23 ` Anupam Kapoor
From: Anupam Kapoor @ 2015-03-09 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

,----[ Jamal ]
| Hi..
|
| After reading Documentation on System.map, i understood that , whenever
| an oops happens the following addresses  will be converted to its
| function name by klogd daemon using System.map.
|
| Now when we have /proc/kallsyms which stores the symbol table in the
| kernel image itself.Then what is the need of System.map file??Is any
| process or daemon still using it??
`----
oldish, but quite useful: http://www.dirac.org/linux/system.map/

---
thanks
anupam

* Difference between System.map and /proc/kallsyms
@ 2015-03-10  2:07 ` Arshad Hussain
From: Arshad Hussain @ 2015-03-10  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 08-Mar-2015, at 11:00 pm, Jamal <md.jamalmohiuddin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi..
>
> After reading Documentation on System.map, i understood that , whenever
> an oops happens the following addresses  will be converted to its
> function name by klogd daemon using System.map.
>
> Now when we have /proc/kallsyms which stores the symbol table in the
> kernel image itself.Then what is the need of System.map file??Is any
> process or daemon still using it??

My 2 cents.

No.

However, Since kallsyms bloats the kernel and makes it larger production kernel may not have it.
In such case it will rely on System.map and ksymsoops for decoding oops messages.

> Regards,
> Md.Jamal

Thanks

* Difference between System.map and /proc/kallsyms
@ 2015-03-10  2:13   ` Nicholas Krause
From: Nicholas Krause @ 2015-03-10  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On March 9, 2015 10:07:28 PM EDT, Arshad Hussain <arshad.super@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 08-Mar-2015, at 11:00 pm, Jamal <md.jamalmohiuddin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi..
>>
>> After reading Documentation on System.map, i understood that ,
>whenever
>> an oops happens the following addresses  will be converted to its
>> function name by klogd daemon using System.map.
>>
>> Now when we have /proc/kallsyms which stores the symbol table in the
>> kernel image itself.Then what is the need of System.map file??Is any
>> process or daemon still using it??
>
>My 2 cents.
>
>No.
>
>However, Since kallsyms bloats the kernel and makes it larger
>production kernel may not have it.
>In such case it will rely on System.map and ksymsoops for decoding oops
>messages.
>

>> Regards,
>> Md.Jamal
>
>Thanks

MD. Jamal,
You are 100 percent correct here adding features related to kernel debugging can easily bloat the kernel be a few gigabytes installed, easily terrible for any production where the storage space can be better used for various other applications or even important debugging log files.
Nick