* qemu-xen.git trouble with tags of stable branches
       [not found] <2092648343.10224143.1448395247910.JavaMail.yahoo.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2015-11-24 20:00 ` Mark Pryor
From: Mark Pryor @ 2015-11-24 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel, Ian Jackson, Stefano Stabellini

Hello,
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=qemu-xen.git;a=summary
looking at the tags for the 2 stable branches which are involved in the recent patch to xen.gitunifying the qemu trees.
tags:
qemu-xen-4.6.0qemu-xen-4.5.2

The revisions pointed to in the above tags are not unique and cause wrong results in git queries like:git log --pretty=oneline qemu-xen-4.5.2..HEAD | wc -l   -> 8419

 git log --pretty=oneline qemu-xen-4.6.0..HEAD | wc -l  -> 4168

the last query should eval to about 85.
In a quick browse of the web view of the repo I see the same patch commit multiple times, under different hashes.So this repo is new and still only used in staging and if there are errors there is nothing serious, not yet anyway.
Thanks for your attention,PryMar56

* Re: qemu-xen.git trouble with tags of stable branches
@ 2015-11-25 10:28   ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2015-11-25 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Pryor, Xen-devel, Ian Jackson, Stefano Stabellini

On Tue, 2015-11-24 at 20:00 +0000, Mark Pryor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=qemu-xen.git;a=summary
>
> looking at the tags for the 2 stable branches which are involved in the
> recent patch to xen.git
> unifying the qemu trees.
>
> tags:
> qemu-xen-4.6.0
> qemu-xen-4.5.2
>
> The revisions pointed to in the above tags are not unique and cause wrong
> results in git queries like:
> git log --pretty=oneline qemu-xen-4.5.2..HEAD | wc -l   -> 8419
>
>  git log --pretty=oneline qemu-xen-4.6.0..HEAD | wc -l  -> 4168
>
> the last query should eval to about 85.

Why should it eval to 85, how did you arrive at that number?

Also, as I pointed out to you on xen-users [thread 0], "HEAD" is a
completely meaningless identifier in a global context, it is a repository
local concept, so using it as the basis of these sorts of comparisons is
useless, please either using a specific public branch or a specific commit
sha1 for comparisons.

> In a quick browse of the web view of the repo I see the same patch commit
> multiple times, under different hashes.

Please can you give a specific example of such a commit.

Please also remember that backports from master to stable branches will
often look like the same commit with a different hash, this is a completely
normal thing in git. If the person doing the backport remembered to pass -x
to the git cherry-pick command then these will be annotated with "(cherry
picked from commit 10a06fd65f667a972848ebbbcac11bdba931b544)" in the commit
message, but not everyone remembers to do this.

Ian.

[thread 0] http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2015-11/msg00088.html