* #cpus property
@ 2007-02-26 22:54 Yoder Stuart-B08248
From: Yoder Stuart-B08248 @ 2007-02-26 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev

Anyone know the origin of the #cpus property that seems to be in most of
the DTS files.  It seems to be documented nowhere.

It's obviously describing how many cpus exist.  However, greping the
kernel source turns up no references to it.

Is it supposed to be required for all cpus nodes?  Are there plans to
actually use it?

Stuart

* Re: #cpus property
@ 2007-02-26 23:33 ` Segher Boessenkool
From: Segher Boessenkool @ 2007-02-26 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoder Stuart-B08248; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

> Anyone know the origin of the #cpus property that seems to be in most
> of
> the DTS files.  It seems to be documented nowhere.

It was there in the first DTS file to hit the kernel
source tree.  Probably all others just copied that.

> It's obviously describing how many cpus exist.  However, greping the
> kernel source turns up no references to it.
>
> Is it supposed to be required for all cpus nodes?  Are there plans to
> actually use it?

It is utterly redundant as simply looking at the number
of child nodes of /cpus/ will tell you the same thing.

Well *hopefully* the same thing, heh.

Segher

* Re: #cpus property
@ 2007-02-27  2:11   ` David Gibson
From: David Gibson @ 2007-02-27  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Segher Boessenkool; +Cc: linuxppc-dev, Yoder Stuart-B08248

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 12:33:05AM +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > Anyone know the origin of the #cpus property that seems to be in most
> > of
> > the DTS files.  It seems to be documented nowhere.
>
> It was there in the first DTS file to hit the kernel
> source tree.  Probably all others just copied that.

That sounds likely.  We should probably get rid of it, the kernel
doesn't use it.  BenH, Paulus, you can't see any use for this one?

				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson

* Re: #cpus property
@ 2007-02-27  6:48     ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2007-02-27  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Gibson; +Cc: linuxppc-dev, Yoder Stuart-B08248

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 13:11 +1100, David Gibson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 12:33:05AM +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > > Anyone know the origin of the #cpus property that seems to be in most
> > > of
> > > the DTS files.  It seems to be documented nowhere.
> >
> > It was there in the first DTS file to hit the kernel
> > source tree.  Probably all others just copied that.
>
> That sounds likely.  We should probably get rid of it, the kernel
> doesn't use it.  BenH, Paulus, you can't see any use for this one?

Nope.

Ben.