* Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2016, #01; Mon, 4)
@ 2016-01-05  2:44 Stephen & Linda Smith
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Stephen & Linda Smith @ 2016-01-05  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano
  Cc: git, Will Palmer, Alexander Kuleshov, Eric Sunshine, ischis2

On Monday, January 04, 2016 03:44:33 PM Junio C Hamano wrote:
>  Becoming tired of waiting for a reroll.
>  ($gmane/271213).
>  Anybody wants to help rerolling this?  Otherwise will discard.

<snip>

> Becoming tired of waiting for a reroll.
>  Anybody wants to help rerolling this?  Otherwise will discard.
 > ($gmane/272180).

What do you mean by rerolling this?  If you mean that you would like
someone to pick up the patch and try and get it though then I don't mind helping.
Of course if the original authors are wanting to finish, then I will look for
something else.

For my education, how does this affect the sign-off proceedure?

sps

* Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2016, #01; Mon, 4)
@ 2016-01-05  3:36 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2016-01-05  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen & Linda Smith
  Cc: git, Will Palmer, Alexander Kuleshov, Eric Sunshine

Stephen & Linda Smith <ischis2@cox.net> writes:

> On Monday, January 04, 2016 03:44:33 PM Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>  Becoming tired of waiting for a reroll.
>>  ($gmane/271213).
>>  Anybody wants to help rerolling this?  Otherwise will discard.
>
> <snip>
>
>> Becoming tired of waiting for a reroll.
>>  Anybody wants to help rerolling this?  Otherwise will discard.
>  > ($gmane/272180).
>
> What do you mean by rerolling this?  If you mean that you would
> like someone to pick up the patch and try and get it though then I
> don't mind helping.

More or less.  I do not mind if these topics disappeared, either,
but we have spent review and discussion bandwidth for these
unfinished topics and we may want to take them to the completion.

> For my education, how does this affect the sign-off proceedure?

Depending on the extent of changes from the original version, either
you take the authorship (with comment in the log message saying that
it is based on Such and Such's patches) or you still keep them as
the author (with comment in the log message saying that you extended
it in such and such way).  In either case, as long as their original
remains in the resulting patch, you retain their Sign-off and then
add your Sign-off at the end.

If you take the ideas from their series and rewrite everything from
scratch, you would take the authorship, with comment in the log
message saying that you took inspiration from Such and Such's
patches, and have only your Sign-off.

* Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2016, #01; Mon, 4)
@ 2016-01-05  4:32 ` Stephen & Linda Smith
From: Stephen & Linda Smith @ 2016-01-05  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: git, Will Palmer, Alexander Kuleshov, Eric Sunshine

On Monday, January 04, 2016 07:36:05 PM Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Stephen & Linda Smith <ischis2@cox.net> writes:
>
> > On Monday, January 04, 2016 03:44:33 PM Junio C Hamano wrote:
> >>  Becoming tired of waiting for a reroll.
> >>  ($gmane/271213).
> >>  Anybody wants to help rerolling this?  Otherwise will discard.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> Becoming tired of waiting for a reroll.
> >>  Anybody wants to help rerolling this?  Otherwise will discard.
> >  > ($gmane/272180).
> >
> > What do you mean by rerolling this?  If you mean that you would
> > like someone to pick up the patch and try and get it though then I
> > don't mind helping.
>
> More or less.  I do not mind if these topics disappeared, either,
> but we have spent review and discussion bandwidth for these
> unfinished topics and we may want to take them to the completion.
>
> > For my education, how does this affect the sign-off proceedure?
>
> Depending on the extent of changes from the original version, either
> you take the authorship (with comment in the log message saying that
> it is based on Such and Such's patches) or you still keep them as
> the author (with comment in the log message saying that you extended
> it in such and such way).  In either case, as long as their original
> remains in the resulting patch, you retain their Sign-off and then
> add your Sign-off at the end.
>
> If you take the ideas from their series and rewrite everything from
> scratch, you would take the authorship, with comment in the log
> message saying that you took inspiration from Such and Such's
> patches, and have only your Sign-off.

If Will isn't interested in finishing these two patches I will pick them
up [ ($gmane/271213), ($gmane/272180) ]

After that I will check look at some of the others for which you've
asked for help.

* Picking up old threads/patches
@ 2016-01-07  3:56 ` Stephen & Linda Smith
From: Stephen & Linda Smith @ 2016-01-07  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano, Eric Sunshine; +Cc: git, ischis2

> If Will isn't interested in finishing these two patches I will pick them
> up [ ($gmane/271213), ($gmane/272180) ]
>
> After that I will check look at some of the others for which you've
> asked for help.

I started work on both of this this evening.   Since I do not have the
original emails I don't have the Message ID's which would make it
to use with the git send-email command.   Do either of you have the
message ID's?

* Re: Picking up old threads/patches
@ 2016-01-07  3:59   ` Stephen & Linda Smith
From: Stephen & Linda Smith @ 2016-01-07  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: Eric Sunshine, git

> If Will isn't interested in finishing these two patches I will pick them
> up [ ($gmane/271213), ($gmane/272180) ]
>
> After that I will check look at some of the others for which you've
> asked for help.

I started work on both of these rerolls this evening.   Since I do not have the
original emails I don't have the Message ID's which  would allow me
to add to the threads with the git send-email command.   Do either of you have the

@ 2016-01-07  8:03     ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2016-01-07  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen & Linda Smith; +Cc: Junio C Hamano, Eric Sunshine, git

On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 08:59:52PM -0700, Stephen & Linda Smith wrote:

> > If Will isn't interested in finishing these two patches I will pick them
> > up [ ($gmane/271213), ($gmane/272180) ]
> >
> > After that I will check look at some of the others for which you've
> > asked for help.
>
> I started work on both of these rerolls this evening.   Since I do not have the
> original emails I don't have the Message ID's which  would allow me
> to add to the threads with the git send-email command.   Do either of you have the
> message ID's?

If it's an ancient thread, it's not a big deal to just start a new
thread (especially if you reference the old one in the text so people
can dig it up if they really care).

But for reference, you can add `/raw` to the end of a gmane article URL
to get all the headers. E.g.:

  $ gmane=http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git
  $ curl -s $gmane/271213/raw | grep -i ^message-id:

-Peff

* Re: Picking up old threads/patches
@ 2016-01-07 13:29     ` Stephen & Linda Smith
From: Stephen & Linda Smith @ 2016-01-07 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: Junio C Hamano, Eric Sunshine, git

On Thursday, January 07, 2016 03:03:50 AM Jeff King wrote:
> If it's an ancient thread, it's not a big deal to just start a new
> thread (especially if you reference the old one in the text so people
> can dig it up if they really care).
>
> But for reference, you can add `/raw` to the end of a gmane article URL
> to get all the headers. E.g.:
>
>   $ gmane=http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git
>   $ curl -s $gmane/271213/raw | grep -i ^message-id:

Thank you.