* Problems with Bluetooth built into BCM4313 WLAN card
@ 2018-10-08 14:34 mail+bluetooth
From: mail+bluetooth @ 2018-10-08 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

Hello,

In my Laptop, I have the following WLAN card built in:

# lspci | grep Wireless
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Limited BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

The Bluetooth part of this adapter "somehow" seems to be available:

# rfkill list
0: ideapad_wlan: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
1: ideapad_bluetooth: Bluetooth
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no

While the WLAN part works well, I don't have access to the Bluetooth part of this card. It is not visible anywhere, so I currently have a small USB Bluetooth stick on my laptop.

Is this a known problem? Can someone give me some information if Bluetooth should work and if so, how to get it working?

Thanks in advance.

Manuel

* Re: Problems with Bluetooth built into BCM4313 WLAN card
@ 2018-10-14  8:30 ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2018-10-14  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail+bluetooth; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Manuel,

> In my Laptop, I have the following WLAN card built in:
>
> # lspci | grep Wireless
> 02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Limited BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
>
> The Bluetooth part of this adapter "somehow" seems to be available:
>
> # rfkill list
> 0: ideapad_wlan: Wireless LAN
> 	Soft blocked: no
> 	Hard blocked: no
> 1: ideapad_bluetooth: Bluetooth
> 	Soft blocked: no
> 	Hard blocked: no
>
> While the WLAN part works well, I don't have access to the Bluetooth part of this card. It is not visible anywhere, so I currently have a small USB Bluetooth stick on my laptop.
>
> Is this a known problem? Can someone give me some information if Bluetooth should work and if so, how to get it working?

is this wired via USB or maybe via UART. I would check the ACPI tables and see if you have a Bluetooth entry there. If it is USB and they are using a kill switch to disconnect it from USB bus, then rfkill unblock bluetooth and then lsusb and check if it shows up.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: Problems with Bluetooth built into BCM4313 WLAN card
@ 2018-10-15 16:00   ` mail+bluetooth
From: mail+bluetooth @ 2018-10-15 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Holtmann; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hello,

I've tried with unblocked bluetooth but don't get anyting in lsusb:

# rfkill list
0: ideapad_wlan: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
1: ideapad_bluetooth: Bluetooth
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
3: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
[root@manuelslaptop ~]# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f2:b2e2 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

The WLAN part is also not the greatest (open source driver).

I've ordered a new card with Atheros chipset some days ago and will try if this solves this issue.

Manuel

@ 2018-10-15 17:25     ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2018-10-15 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail+bluetooth; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Manuel,

> I've tried with unblocked bluetooth but don't get anyting in lsusb:
>
> # rfkill list
> 0: ideapad_wlan: Wireless LAN
> 	Soft blocked: no
> 	Hard blocked: no
> 1: ideapad_bluetooth: Bluetooth
> 	Soft blocked: no
> 	Hard blocked: no
> 3: phy0: Wireless LAN
> 	Soft blocked: no
> 	Hard blocked: no
> [root@manuelslaptop ~]# lsusb
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f2:b2e2 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
>

> The WLAN part is also not the greatest (open source driver).
>
> I've ordered a new card with Atheros chipset some days ago and will try if this solves this issue.

Then use acpidump etc to look at your ACPI tables and see if a Bluetooth UART device is described there. There is sadly no simple lsacpi to list your devices.

What is the WiFi chipset anyway? Is this Realtek based or what?

Regards

Marcel

* Re: Problems with Bluetooth built into BCM4313 WLAN card
@ 2018-10-16  7:48       ` mail+bluetooth
From: mail+bluetooth @ 2018-10-16  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Holtmann; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hello,

my acpidump output doesn't seem to have anything about "bluetooth" and I even don't see anything about my BCM4313 card.

About the Wifi chipset, I think it should be Broadcom (BCM4313)

I've tried to load the "thinkpad-acpi" module, but sadly it doesn't detect my ideapad laptop. No way to configure Bluetooth there. I also don't have bluetooth in the BIOS setup to enable it there.

If I'm right, then ACPI/BIOS can somehow block Bluetooth and so even if I get my new card, Bluetooth could still be disabled?

Is there any other way to enable Bluetooth besides booting Windows on this machine to do it there?

Manuel

@ 2018-10-20  9:29         ` Manuel Reimer
From: Manuel Reimer @ 2018-10-20  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Holtmann; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hello,

My new WLAN mini PCI card has arrived and is installed into my laptop.

I hope this at least fixes the unstable WLAN but unfortunately Bluetooth keeps absent.

While searching, I've found something that may be interesting:

Oct 20 11:08:07 manuelslaptop kernel: usb 1-1.3: Product: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Oct 20 11:08:07 manuelslaptop kernel: usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: Atheros Communications
Oct 20 11:08:07 manuelslaptop kernel: usb 1-1.3: SerialNumber: Alaska Day 2006
Oct 20 11:08:07 manuelslaptop kernel: usb 1-1.3: USB disconnect, device number 3

So yes, on this card the bluetooth controller is connected via USB. I just cant see it in lsusb as it, for some reason, disconnects itself. I have no idea what is causing this...

Maybe I should just stick with my USB dongle. Linux and MiniPCI Bluetooth doesn't seem to be a good combination.

Manuel

@ 2018-10-20  9:37           ` Manuel Reimer
From: Manuel Reimer @ 2018-10-20  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Holtmann; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hello,

unfortunately, I forgot two lines, showing the vendor and product:

Oct 20 11:33:43 manuelslaptop kernel: usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=
0cf3, idProduct=3004, bcdDevice= 0.02
Oct 20 11:33:43 manuelslaptop kernel: usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1,
Product=2, SerialNumber=3