* kallsyms in buildid - broken mapping?
@ 2017-06-27 14:16 Milian Wolff
From: Milian Wolff @ 2017-06-27 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users; +Cc: namhyung, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

Hey all,

a colleague of mine just sent me a `perf archive` tarball and the accompanying
perf.data file. The tarball contains a kallsyms entry with build-id for
`[kernel.kallsyms]`. But the file seems to be bogus, it only contains "null"
mappings, i.e.:

$ head kallsyms
0000000000000000 A irq_stack_union
0000000000000000 A __per_cpu_start
0000000000000000 A exception_stacks
0000000000000000 A gdt_page
0000000000000000 A espfix_waddr
0000000000000000 A espfix_stack
0000000000000000 A cpu_info
0000000000000000 A cpu_llc_shared_map
0000000000000000 A cpu_core_map
0000000000000000 A cpu_sibling_map
$ cut -f1 -d' ' < kallsyms | uniq -c
 144971 0000000000000000

He now also sent me a copy of `/proc/kallsyms` which actually seems to contain
a useful mapping. Any idea what lead to the broken original mapping?

Thanks
--
Milian Wolff | milian.wolff@kdab.com | Software Engineer
Tel: +49-30-521325470