* couple questions for OpenBMC
@ 2019-01-17  7:51 Brenden Lai
From: Brenden Lai @ 2019-01-17  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Hi
I have couple questions about OpenBMC .

1.if I decide use OpenBMC solution , Does it mean I should put all BMC source code on github including some commercial software  ?

2.Are there any tutorial or /document  for using dbus within OpenBMC ?

3.Why there is no release note after V1.05 ?  Will the coming release  attach release note ?

4.I know openBMC is using some file text to represent  device (LED , sensor) , but I am curious about how this files bind to real device ?
   Where is the low level operation relate code ?

Thanks -Brenden

Brenden Lai
SR. BMC Design Engineer
E&I, Jabil Design Services

* Re: couple questions for OpenBMC
@ 2019-01-17 10:27 ` John Wang
From: John Wang @ 2019-01-17 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brenden Lai; +Cc: openbmc

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 3:52 PM Brenden Lai <Brenden_Lai@jabil.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have couple questions about OpenBMC .

> 1.if I decide use OpenBMC solution , Does it mean I should put all BMC source code on github including some commercial software  ?
>

> 2.Are there any tutorial or /document  for using dbus within OpenBMC ?
please refer to this link [https://github.com/openbmc/sdbusplus] for
documentation and examples.
or you can use busctrl to find out it.

example:
    busctl tree xyz.openbmc_project.LED.GroupManager
    busctl introspect   xyz.openbmc_project.LED.GroupManager
/xyz/openbmc_project/led/groups/enclosure_fault

> 3.Why there is no release note after V1.05 ?  Will the coming release  attach release note ?
>

> 4.I know openBMC is using some file text to represent  device (LED , sensor)

Linux uses device tree to describe the hardware component,you can
refer to https://elinux.org/Device_Tree_Usage
This link[https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/LED-architecture.md]
tells you how openbmc controls led.

Can be roughly described:
          phosphor-led-manager(strategy) -->
phosphor-led->sysfs(action)  --> linux led subsystem

 linux led subsystem :
https://github.com/openbmc/linux/blob/dev-4.19/Documentation/leds/leds-class.txt

https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-led-sysfs/blob/e0844ff447abad01fa6f902caab3839336d1518d/physical.cpp#L131

@ 2019-01-17 18:28   ` Nancy Yuen
From: Nancy Yuen @ 2019-01-17 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wang; +Cc: Brenden Lai, openbmc

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 2:34 AM John Wang <wangzqbj@inspur.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 3:52 PM Brenden Lai <Brenden_Lai@jabil.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I have couple questions about OpenBMC .
>

> > 1.if I decide use OpenBMC solution , Does it mean I should put all BMC
> source code on github including some commercial software  ?

I don't know what you mean by commercial software.  In OpenBMC we strive to
use open source software.

To build OpenBMC you only need to check out one repo
github.com/openbmc/openbmc and invoke the bitbake commands to build for a
supported platform.  The repo page has build instructions on it  The
recipes in openbmc/openbmc will download the necessary package sources from
other online sources and invoke the build commands for each of those
packages.  The downloaded packages are cached locally.  It's also possible
to create a local mirror of downloaded packages for your team to use.

> > 2.Are there any tutorial or /document  for using dbus within OpenBMC ?
> please refer to this link [https://github.com/openbmc/sdbusplus] for
> documentation and examples.
> or you can use busctrl to find out it.
>
> example:
>     busctl tree xyz.openbmc_project.LED.GroupManager
>     busctl introspect   xyz.openbmc_project.LED.GroupManager
> /xyz/openbmc_project/led/groups/enclosure_fault
>
> > 3.Why there is no release note after V1.05 ?  Will the coming release
> attach release note ?

The tags you see are just random tags points, not a coordinated release.
We are in the middle of testing the 2.6 official release at the moment.  It
will be done early February and it will contain release notes.  You can
search this mailing list for release activities and also the meeting
minutes from the release planning workgroup are here
<https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Release-Planning>.

@ 2019-01-18  1:55     ` Brenden Lai
From: Brenden Lai @ 2019-01-18  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nancy Yuen, John Wang; +Cc: openbmc

Thanks Nancy .

To build OpenBMC you only need to check out one repo github.com/openbmc/openbmc<http://github.com/openbmc/openbmc> and invoke the bitbake commands to build for a supported platform.  The repo page has build instructions on it  The recipes in openbmc/openbmc will download the necessary package sources from other online sources and invoke the build commands for each of those packages.  The downloaded packages are cached locally.  It's also possible to create a local mirror of downloaded packages for your team to use.

> 2.Are there any tutorial or /document  for using dbus within OpenBMC ?
please refer to this link [https://github.com/openbmc/sdbusplus] for
documentation and examples.
or you can use busctrl to find out it.

example:
    busctl tree xyz.openbmc_project.LED.GroupManager
    busctl introspect   xyz.openbmc_project.LED.GroupManager
/xyz/openbmc_project/led/groups/enclosure_fault

> 3.Why there is no release note after V1.05 ?  Will the coming release  attach release note ?

The tags you see are just random tags points, not a coordinated release.  We are in the middle of testing the 2.6 official release at the moment.  It will be done early February and it will contain release notes.  You can search this mailing list for release activities and also the meeting minutes from the release planning workgroup are here<https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Release-Planning>.

> 4.I know openBMC is using some file text to represent  device (LED , sensor)

Linux uses device tree to describe the hardware component,you can
refer to https://elinux.org/Device_Tree_Usage
This link[https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/LED-architecture.md]
tells you how openbmc controls led.

Can be roughly described:
          phosphor-led-manager(strategy) -->
phosphor-led->sysfs(action)  --> linux led subsystem

 linux led subsystem :
https://github.com/openbmc/linux/blob/dev-4.19/Documentation/leds/leds-class.txt

>but I am curious about how this files bind to real device ?
>    Where is the low level operation relate code ?

https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-led-sysfs/blob/e0844ff447abad01fa6f902caab3839336d1518d/physical.cpp#L131

> Thanks -Brenden
>

> Brenden Lai
> SR. BMC Design Engineer
> E&I, Jabil Design Services

* RE: couple questions for OpenBMC - license
@ 2019-01-21 23:12       ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2019-01-21 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brenden Lai; +Cc: Nancy Yuen, John Wang, openbmc, openbmc

On 2019-01-17 19:55, Brenden Lai wrote:
> Thanks Nancy .
>
> FROM: Nancy Yuen <yuenn@google.com>
>  SENT: Friday, January 18, 2019 2:29 AM
>  TO: John Wang <wangzqbj@inspur.com>
>  CC: Brenden Lai <Brenden_Lai@jabil.com>; openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org
>  SUBJECT: Re: couple questions for OpenBMC
>
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 2:34 AM John Wang <wangzqbj@inspur.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 3:52 PM Brenden Lai <Brenden_Lai@jabil.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have couple questions about OpenBMC .
>>

>>> 1.if I decide use OpenBMC solution , Does it mean I should put
>> all BMC source code on github including some commercial software ?
>
> I don't know what you mean by commercial software. In OpenBMC we
> strive to use open source software.

I understood this question was about the license agreement.  If I
interpret Brenden's question correctly, the OpenBMC project retrieves
code from many other projects and is itself licensed for use variously
with the MIT and Apache licenses which are permissive and allow someone
to use the code in a commercial project.

Additionally, the build process has an option to create a "bill of
materials" (BOM) which lists all source projects retrieved along with
their licenses.  However, I don't have direct experience with this, and
you would typically have your lawyers review your situation.

See for example:

https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/poky/LICENSE

https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/LICENCE

https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/blob/master/LICENSE